3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for dipping and cresting info  (Read 165 times)

Offline ABBIBOY

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for dipping and cresting info
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I am looking for some video clip tips on getting started in the art of arrow dipping and cresting. I am just starting out so anything would help if you guys know of any sites.
ty
GS

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for dipping and cresting info
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I have started spray painting my crowns, and the results are great.

Start by deciding where you want your crown to start, then wrap a piece of blue painter's tape at that point, then take a scrap piece of paper and wrap it around the part of the shaft you want to protect from overspray, then apply plenty of light coats.  You do not want to cover the shaft in one or two coats, instead use lots of light coats to avoid runs in the paint.

Make sure you DO NOT buy fast drying spray paint.  Go back and read that again.  If you buy fast drying spray paint, you will not be happy with the results.  If the paint dries to fast, it will not have time to flow together for a flawless finish.  I use the Rustolem paint that dries to the touch in 1-2 hours.  Wait a minimum of 24 hours untill you do anything else, and if the can says wait a few days to topcoat, then do so.  You are making funtional works of art here, there is no reason to rush it.

Once the paint is ready for a top coat, go ahead and do your first coat of clear, then wait a minimum of 24 hours again (are you seeing a pattern here?), then you are ready to start cresting.

You simply can not go wrong using a SpinRite Crester.  You will be amazed at how awesome your arrow looks once you are done cresting it with the right crester.  I know I am still amazed when I pull one off of my crester.

Then, you guessed it, wait another 24 hours then do your final 2 coats of clear finish.

I'm positive if you were to ask 20 people on here how to dip and crest arrows, you will get 20 different responses, and all of them will have the same result...A funtional piece of art...Take the pieces of each and everyones advice, and use it to suit your needs.

Good luck, and enjoy.  Remember, slow down and do not rush it.  You will thank yourself in the end.

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ABBIBOY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
thanks mike
GS

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
One thing that has helped me is practice my cresting on old shafts. You start to get a feel for things this way. Pressure angle hand position etc. Every shaft gets better and better. Enjoy the journey. It's addicting.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
Mike summed it pretty well, I spray my crowns too, works great. I've chucked them in a cordless drill and spin them to get a nice even coat.

Get good brushes, they are worth it,  especially when you get to the fine lines.

None of this is hard, just a matter of gettin a feel for everything.

Eric

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Bohning used to put out a video and I think 3R does too.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Grapes, were you looking into my basement window when I prep shafts for crowning?  Good technique. Only thing I do is give them a good wipe down between coats with 0000 steel wool.  Smooths out the bumps.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Grapes, were you looking into my basement window when I prep shafts for crowning?  Good technique. Only thing I do is give them a good wipe down between coats with 0000 steel wool.  Smooths out the bumps.
I forgot to mention that.  I do the same too.  It knocks down the bumps, and gives the next coat something to grab onto.

As for the looking in your basement thing...Would you mind getting dressed next time you make a dozen up?   LOL

Thanks for catching my error there.

Oh yeah, and do not paint your shafts in the garage if you have your truck parked in there.  I was so consumed by my arrows that I never even thought about pulling the truck out.  I spent a couple evenings with Acetone and a rag getting the green overspray off of the truck.

I mean, I know this one guy who did that.  I would never do something like that.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©