3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabelas?  (Read 529 times)

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabelas?
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I hate to mention somebody that isn't a sponsor, but I have several gift cards from Cabelas that I have aquired through a program with our health insurance. I am fairly new to traditional archery and know that Cabelas has very limited trad stuff.

My question, is there anything that they sell as far as traditional archery that is worth buying? Thinking tabs/glove but I'm not sure theyre worth wasting the cards on?

I understand if this is taken down due to the fact they're not sponsors. Just trying to make the most of my $$ and not have to spend "real money" unless I have to.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabelas?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
They have some production bows that are good for the new guy, also they have targets that are good, tree stands, blinds almost anything you need for trad huinting, some tabs, gloves also just not a big supply.
So I would use them for targets and blinds stuff like that then go to trad specialty companys for the specific things you need.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Cabelas has a catalogue of cool stuff including trad bows if I remember right. Look at their online catalogue. Don't spend everything at once like I would.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
You don't have to buy trad stuff from Cabelas... Get yourself a good pair of hunting boots from them!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
some of the wool is probably ok.
clothing/footwear in general.
Targets can be expensive to ship.

Have fun with your mad money!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Cabela's has some really good stuff for the tradbow hunter/Archery.

Since Your New.

Do You have a bow? If not, try and find a 3-D shoot that has tradbows there. This way You can see if You can try some of them.

If You have a bow and need arrows, go to 3Rivers and get their test kit.

Tabs/gloves & quivers You can get from Cabela's. I have a back quiver from them.

If You already have arrows. You can get points from Cabela's

You can also get targets, gear, clothes, boots and any kind of optics from cabela's..

I do get most of My stuff from sponsors here on tradgang, But Cabela's is still a Great store.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Great Camping gear, some good backpacks/fanny packs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I should have clarified.

I have a bow(s)
stands
blinds
heads
target
binos
boots
clothes
and all the other basics from modern day hunting

I mean I'm not new to hunting, just to traditional archery. I guess in my head I knew what I had when I typed, but obviously you guys aren't psycics     :D    

Also, I have $75 in gift cards...$100 if I can find out what my 15m/o did with the other $25 card.     :banghead:    

I've been studying on some wool clothing (even before I went "traditional" just because of the durabilty, and thermal qualities wool has. Buttttt.....$75, or even $100 doesn't get much wool from Cabelas. Plus, you can get some UGLY wool cheaper from other sources, and just layer your camo over top of that if it isn't what you desire for a pattern.

I have a hard time not shopping from the Bargin Bin at Cabelas.

Any tabs or gloves reccomended?

Quiver, I think I will make.

Honestly, with the exception of wanting wool clothing, I'm pretty well set on stuff I need or want from there. I don't know about their quality as far as gloves/tabs.

I need a little 550 para cord, might order a little from there.

Giving serious thought to offering them up as currency/trade in the classifieds...obviously letting the seller receive them first to varify they're good, should they have any doubt. Or order an item of trade that is agreed upon from there and have it shipped to seller.

AND AGAIN...I'm not trying to take away from the sponsors. I've just been sitting on these things a while. I have most of the normal hunting gear I need, as I'm not new to the game. I plan on ordering some string material from 3 rivers soon.

I also am trying to make my own arrows, self bow, as well as using trade points and my own feathers, but I do have a blank coming from James Parker (sponsor "Huntworthy Productions") that I am also planning on getting some nice "production" arrows for, also from a sponsor on here as well. So in no way shape or form am I trying to avoid them.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
My shooting glove I got from Cabela's and I got it back in 2005.. Still works great. It is the Damascus glove.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I'm planning on getting a large 36" duffel from them that will hold my 2-pc take down longbows. They have a couple nice ones with a separate compartment that could hold my archery gear separate from clothes etc so the big tube doesn't draw the attention of the TSA screeners. They make me nervous when they repack my equipment.

Just a thought on what you could use the cards for
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I just cashed mine in.  This is what I got (all out of the bargain cave).  A new LED spotlight with a long battery life for blood trails, a sleeping bag that was originally $100 and I got for $30, and a pair of Nikon Prostaff compact binocs that were on sale also.  They are good for some things.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I can tell you what not to get, the Cabela’s brand feather fletcher. I still keep one to remind myself of bad catalog descriptions. Nothing beats a hands on approach, compared to buying sight unseen.

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Haha well I've got the fletching jig covered, although I wouldn't mind having a rw and lw clamp for it. Just have straight.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Go thru your hunting stuff and find what you don't have in or what you want in that price range and then make a purchase.  How about using it on a new GPS and paying the extra needed.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Got one lol

Any gloves recommended from there? Might buy some serving as well. Probably paracord too. Always use that stuff, plus I'm working on a self bow that I think will end up with a paracord handle

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
yes they do, they have more than enought to get started,,and its just a nice place to go  :bigsmyl:    :archer2:

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
How about a fletching jig, nocks, inserts, feathers, serving, those types of things are often overlooked.

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye Trad Hunter:
How about a fletching jig, nocks, inserts, feathers, serving, those types of things are often overlooked.
Got everything but serving...nocks, well Im doing self arrows with self nocks for the self bow, and the other bows I'm ordering a nice set for.

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I may go ahead and get a right wing and/or left wing clamp for my fletching jig.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Wool socks.
Can't have too many wool socks. Tall ones, short ones, liners...

I am eyeballing a new tent and cookshack.
Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©