3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 444 times)

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acorns
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Great tip and input. Thanks for sharing!

Kyle

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Interesting. In the past 2 months I've been in the woods a bunch. Only 4 days ago did I find the first acorns on the ground & they were very small & stunted. Either our acorns are late this year or in the lean part of their cycle. BTW, we have had a hot summer drought until about 4 weeks ago when rain started again.
A biologist once told me to produce a good crop acorn trees need plenty of rain in the spring. Also I think the white oaks only produce every three years and a burr oak will produce every year as they are (around here anyway) only found on our waterways and not on higher ground and get plenty of moisture every season.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Last thursday is the first time I visited my stands since I set them in April. You could roll an ankle there are so many acorns, on the way to my best stand I saw my buck, the brother to the one I killed last year. It is full of white and chestnut oak acorns, come on 9/25. Good luck to ya Tom.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Here in Illinois, we have had a fantastic acorn crop this year.  At least in my areas.  However, we have also had a pretty dry summer.  Because of this the acorns are already falling.  Deer have all but abandoned our bean fields, which are mostly brown already.  I have a few choice white oaks picked out for the early season, but I have a hunch that most acorns will have fallen and be eaten before season starts.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Around here in Eastern Iowa, the early acorn drop and the shear numbers are causing a real buzz in the hunting crowd. Walking through the timber, you are likely to be pelted by them. And, like others have already said, you need to watch your footing on slopes.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Lots of acorns in my area here in Wi. Probably due to the 2nd wettest summer on record. Now all we need is some deer to help the squirrels and chipmunks eat em.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Spotty in my area.  Either that or I haven't found them yet.  I've spent most my time on a bush bean field (imagine that) that is still very green.  

Most of the standing corn here is picked which is very rare.  I may have one, if I'm lucky, left standing to hunt when I get back from SC in two weeks.  I passed a combine this evening with the lights on as he finished up across from my house.
All that extra cover is gone.   :thumbsup:
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Same thing here in central Ohio.  It's been a relatively dry summer and we have LOTS of acorns on the ground right now.

It's going to be an interesting fall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©