3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Length Recommendation  (Read 368 times)

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Length Recommendation
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I'm new to traditional archery and need advice on selecting the right bow. I've made up my mind on a hybrid reflex/deflex longbow.

During deer season I mostly hunt ground blind and treestand with my wheel bow during the morning and evening. Sometimes I take a break to ground stalk and strech my legs during the day. A smaller bow would be beneficial but don't want to sacrifice much smoothness/foregiveness.

I have an old fiberglass long bow I kick around for fun at my local 3D archery range. It has stacks very hard at full draw however. I don't want to go too small and have this problem.

I've been tucking money away for a nice trad bow that will do it all.

My draw length is 28.5" -- what is my range in bow length on a reflex/deflex longbow?

:help:

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Length Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
It really depends on the design. On a strait grip longbow I have a 29" draw. On hybrid bows I have tried - thunderhorn, great northern, navajo stick, morrison, black widow - I have found 62" as short as I would go for smoothness of draw and finger pinch.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Just because a bow is shorter doesn't mean it will stack more. That has to do with the limb and bow design. If you order a custom bow from any reputable custom bowyer stacking will not be an issue at your draw length as they will design the sweet spot to be around your draw length.

As for length that is a matter of preference. Lots of people shoot shorter bows and claim to have no finger pinch and others claim the longer draw alleviates it. Bows are like people, no two are alike nor do any two people completely agree on any thing completely.

I recommend you go to a trad shoot and shoot as many different types of bows as possible before shelling out a lot of money for a bow that later you find wasn't what you really wanted. Of course you could become a bowaholic like many of us...lol in which case throw out that last piece of advice and just get one of everything.  :bigsmyl:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
60 or 62.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I'd recommend a 62" Martin Hunter recurve. They shoot great, and you can pick up a used one for a reasonable price.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Most bowyers will have a draw length to bow length chart that will give you a pretty good idea of a good bow length with their design.  With most of the prounounced deflex/reflex hybrids you should do well with 58" and over.  There are a few that may work for you with a shorter length.  Longer bows will GENERALLY be smoother, more accurate and nicer to shoot.  I have a 26" draw and have two 58" bows that work very well for me.  

If you are lucky, someone will post a Jason Kendall Kanati in the classifieds.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I think you would be very happy with a 58" bow. Just my thoughts.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I am 6-3 and shoot a 70 inch longbow- and it can and does interfere with some shot opportunities.
 Shooting from a treestand is difficult; as is sitting on the ground- you need more clearance than you usually get.
 I love my bow; but the length is a consideration in lots of hunting situations.

I would go to a local shop as suggested - or better to a trad shoot in your area. You can try out all kinds of bows and arrows and such; and the ambiance of being around trad shooters.

Welcome to the world of traditional bowhunting- the best next step is buying a bow that you love to shoot. I suggest you don't skip that step  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
The Dryad Hunter @ 58" is a real nice bow.  Check one out if ya get the chance.
  :archer2:

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
i am 5 foot 4 inches tall.[no short jokes]lol.i shoot a black widow plv 64" [email protected] really love the length of this bow.i don't hunt from a treestand but i sometimes hunt from a ground blind.they say shoot the longest bow you can get away with.they are more forgiving.if you hunt from a stand most of the time,i would take the advice of the other guys and go with a bow that is a little shorter.just my thoughts.good luck with your choice,steve

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Shoot whatever length bow you feel the most comfortable with. Normally longer is better but there are some great shooting short bows out there. Shoot as many as you can before picking the one for you.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the support! I am a newbie and appreciate all of your help. I've read all of your comments carefully.

Truthfully, I'm sweet on many of the aggressive R/D custom bows. However, in the end I made a very sensible choice. I called Mike Mecredy and put my name down for a Mad Dog Mutt R/D Long Bow.

I am a confident compound shooter and have already been humbled learning instinctive shooting. At this point, exotic bows can come later.

I comfortably pull a 65-68 # draw weight on my compound. With a little help from Mike, I decided in 64" and approx. 48 # @ 29" (my draw length).

More than anything, I want the bow to be comfortable and enough bow to serve me well hunting. Eventually I'll hunt hogs and whitetail with it.  

Tomorrow I'll finalize the order and welcome any bow fitting suggestions.

Thanks again!!!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I have had about  eight bows, currently own seven.
If I had to pick one length for me, it would be 60" (27" draw).
However, I really like my Shrew Classic Hunter 56" also. It is very smooth, and no stacking.
I can't say I notice finger pinch with any of my bows.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
66 or 68"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Good choice!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I draw near 31"...most of my longbows are 64"...no troubles. Now and again I will run into a bowyer who really thinks I should go longer with their particular bow..so I'll go 66"...never longer than that.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Naturally, LB shooters are partial to their niche & recurves likewise. Personally, I like bows 68" ntn & up but heavier draw to 85#. I draw 31". Archives full of us vs them, short vs long, hybrid, straight handle, etc, etc. Highly suggest you try as many as possible. Don't be afraid of longer bows & heavier weights. Howard said shorter bows are more sensitive. It translates once you shoot awhile.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Shoot as many different lengths as you can. You will see where your limits are quickly. After shooting longer recurves, I can never again see myself shooting anything well that is under 64".
Always shot 60 inches before that and blew a lot of money on short bows without knowing any better. You will have your own length that is best for you. I have a friend who is a short stocky guy, he can accurately shoot a heavy 56" bow. Blows my mind, I could never do it.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
I draw 27 and am most comfortable with RD longbows 60-64".  Too short gets old in a hurry.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I was assisting an indivual today who was shooting a trad bow for the first time. The bow was 31# @ 28 and was 58" long. My draw is 28.5" and the finger pinch was extremely distracting. The bow weight was far less than what I am accustomed to yet the excessive finger pinch had me quite uncomfortable. Do your best to try before you buy.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©