3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Finished Mount/Rug is Home" Buffalo Bow meets Bear  (Read 1212 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
"Finished Mount/Rug is Home" Buffalo Bow meets Bear
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Bear with me a story teller I am not……..

I kind of did this hunt with little planning. I had a time slot at work that gave me a small window to work with. I hooked up with an outfitter that ran an operation in the panhandle of Idaho. I would have liked to have hunted with an outfitter that I had hunted with before but he was booked up. This outfitter was not really set up for Traditional bow hunters but given my time restraint I had to make do with what I could find.

My camera is one of the first digitals ever made I think so my picture are not very good.

I flew into Spokane and rented a car for the five hour drive to camp.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Finished Mount/Rug is Home" Buffalo Bow meets Bear
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
It took about 2 hours from Avery, Idaho on dirt logging roads to get to the camp. The camp rests in the Bitterroot Mountains close to the Montana border. This place is absolutely beautiful!!! I arrived at camp on Wednesday the 8th and settled into my new home away from home. The country here is about as steep and rugged as I have seen in my 58 plus years. I thought about an elk hunt here in the future but after hiking around these mountains for a few days thought better of it   :)  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
For the first three days I would be the only hunter in camp as the camp was supposed to be up and running a week later. The outfitter only had time to set up a couple of bait stations but because of my time restraint I decided to risk it. I had communicated to the outfitter that I would be using a Long Bow and would like to be 20yds or less for the set-ups. Well that did not come thru as my stand was 30 yards plus from the bait and the stand was made for a rifle hunter with a small platform, a rest to get in the way and a 8” limb about 8”s above my head? Hmmmmmmmmmm, this is going to be interesting ? Oh well short notice, we’ll figure it out……..

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I have always been the Kind of hunter that seems to close the deal in or on the last day and the last hour of the hunt but that was not to be the case this time. I could not have been in the stand more than two hours and a 225 to 250ish pound Bear made an appearance. He came in directly under my stand and was hidden except for his head. I waited and could not believe my luck as the bait pile was 30 yards to my right and the bear chose to come in from my side. My elation was pre-mature though as the bear smelled or heard something and ran toward the bait. He stopped about 29 to 30yards on the downhill side of the bait and stood there, nose in the air. I got into position (left foot on the second to the top step of the ladder, right knee on the seat to get bow clearance) amazingly I felt pretty good with the shot and let it go. My arrow flew in a perfect ark hit behind the last rib and exited behind the shoulder on the offside leg, a perfect pass thru. I practice at home to 40 yards but would have felt better with a 20 yard shot, it just felt right and it worked. I knew I had made a good shot as the very instant the arrow hit I could see a fist sized blood mark on the entry side and the arrow on the ground on the exit side. The bear expired 25 yards from the hit!!!

I have to say that I was a little worried about my set up. I shoot a Big Jim Buffalo Bow 45@28 and I draw 27 ¼…I spent some time getting my arrows to fly right and ended with GT 35/55 trads full length RW Helical 4” feathers, 100 grain insert and a RW 100 grain Strickland Helix single bevel broadhead. Penetration was not an issue….

It was raining and wet so this picture is not the best.....

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
The good thing about getting my bear early is I had time to explore and fish a bit. These are great fishing rivers and streams!!!

Cutthroat any one?

How about some Grouse for lunch. Maybe some fish and fowl?

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Good Shootin!!!  Congrats on a eal nice bear.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:  
Very Nice
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys   :)  

All in all I had a great hunt and met some good folks.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Good shooting, good pictures, good story telling!  Awesome animal!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Congratulations on your bear. Great story and pictures.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Great story and pic's  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Sweet.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Congrats!! Looks like rugged country for sure.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
wv lungbuster, it is rugged and steep!!!
The biggest difference is how deep these canyons are, packing animals out in steep country is one thing but having to do it from a mile or more
deep is another   :)   I don't have those kind of wheels anymore   :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
redant 60/65 .....PM sent

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Very cool!  Nice shootin' and you gotta love the bonus of the spruce grouse and cutties.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©