3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering purchasing first Black Widow  (Read 399 times)

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Considering purchasing first Black Widow
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I am considering picking up a Black Widow one piece bow. I am interested in the PTF's. I do not want to spend the money on a new one so I will be looking for a used bow (really can't afford a new one).

Any recommendations on different models? I really like the looks of the PTF but am not totally locked into that particular model. My budget is more than likely going to drive this purchase.

I currently shoot a 48# 58" Bear Mag TD and think I would like a BW with similiar specs (maybe a few pounds heavier). My Bear TD is smooth and shoots well but I feel that I might be missing out on some performance. I own and shoot a decent amount of vintage Bears but think I want to try out and see what the allure of the Black Widows is all about.

Any recommendations, suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline hotbrand

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Considering purchasing first Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Best thing you can do is go to a club shoot or other event and shoot their one piece models. Black Widow also has a "test drive" program where they will ship you a demo bow to try. This results in some expense however as you have to pay the shipping. I think it is impossible to predict which bow or model is going to suit an individual.  They are fine bows however.

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
I dont think you can go wrong with any Black Widow.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
What part of PA are you from?  I have a PSAIII and while not for sale you are welcome to try it out if you are somewhere near me...Mike

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Bedford County. A pretty good haul. I really appreciate the offer though.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I would say you can't go wrong purchasing a Black Widow. The PTF and/or older TF's are great shooters and what I would call "work horse recurves". Mine has many battle scars and keeps on going! A used one might be just the ticket.

* In fact... I haven't bought a "new" bow in many years, just used stuff from Trad Gang!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I had the PTF and it made for a very sweet shooting bow, absolutely vibration, shock free.
And that's what made me move it, being a HH longbow lover, I like a little thump in the hand.
As for Widows in general, I think they are one of the best made in the business, they trully can take a beating unlike other more fancy bows.
I have a PSR that is never leaving my rack for someone else's, never.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I know you are looking for a used bow, but Black Widow will not hold that against you in the Test drive program.  Give them a call and test drive a new one.  Find model that suits you and then search for the perfect used bow.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Everyone,
  Thanks for the info.

Scott,
  Thanks. I might consider doing that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I put a wanted add up in the Classifieds, so we will see what happens.....

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
No matter how good the quality of the bow is, it is not going to be right for everyone.  That being said, I have shot several different models of BWs and the only one I really liked at all was the PTF.  They are all built well and are quality bows, they just don't fit/feel right for me.  Try and shoot some first.  On the other hand, they hold their value so if you buy a used one and it turns out you don't like it, it is likely you would be able to sell it for what you got it for.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Profile wise, the PTF and the PSA are the same exact bow. The only difference being the PSA is a takedown and is a little heavier in the hand.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
i shoot a 64" 53@26 plv longbow.it is everything i wanted and more.got a robin hood the other day and even split the shaft.today i was shooting my cedars with grizzly broadheads practicing for the deer season 10 days away.broadheads shot better than my field points.i saved a year to afford my widow.i have nothing bad to say about the bow or the service that comes with it.you can't go wrong with a widow.they stand behind there products.good luck with your choice,steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I have several custom recurves. A Widow PSAIII, 58" and 46# at 25.5" --leftie  was the 2nd recurve I've bought. It is a terrific bow, dead in the hand because of the heft, which I like. Great workmanship, high performance, and I think good looking. To be fair, I've never even seen a 1-piece Widow so I'm no judge on those.

If I were buying a widow I'd buy the new PCH, probably in 56" but that's because I have a short draw length. I love the convenience and portability (and interchangeable limbs) of TD bows. The grip of the takedowns is very comfortable also -- little bit of palm swell which I like.

I'll probably keep my widow as long as I live. I can't imagine parting with it. However, I've bought more bows since the widow and have 4 bows other than widows on order. When it comes to hunting the widow is probably 3rd in line and soon to be 7th in line for going out which means I'll likely never hunt with it. And this is a shame because this is a very fine hunting bow. But I shoot some others so well.

One thing for sure. The widow is the most difficult of all my bows to string and unstring. I have to be extra careful when doing this and of course I always use a bowstringer to keep from twisting the limbs (must be the tapered limbs and light draw weight). In fact, I rarely unstring the bow and the Widow bowyers actuallly recommend leaving them strung.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
By the way, I ordered this widow on December 31st of 2003. The bow came, with no warning, on my 50th birthday in February, 2004.  I remember watching TV with this bow strung in my hand on the couch.

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
You cant go wrong with a widow.
I had a 64 inch takedown recurve was smooth and very quick.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Hesitate no longer. Buy a black widow. There is plenty of them for sale on our classifieds or on black widow widow wall site.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Another good word for Black Widow here.  Great bows, great service.  I have only one bow, and it's a PMA greybark.  While I may buy other bows in the future, I can say without a doubt that I will never willingly part with this one.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
I’m both a Widow and Bear fan with several of each. I like the Black Widow longbows a little better than their recurves. I have a “99” TFIII that shoots faster and pulls smoother than my Grayling bows, but it does not shoot any more accurate. This year I’m going to hunt with an old Bear.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I see you already understand that this is going to be your FIRST Black Widow.......!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
huntryx, HAHA.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am currently selling off some of my "extra" bows to fund a BW. So hopefully I find one in my price range that fits my specs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©