3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer already in Rut??  (Read 338 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer already in Rut??
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
So yesterday was opening day of deer season here in MD, I was not really hunting, but my wheelie buddies were.  My friends dad was lucky enough to get a nice 8 point and when we were walkin up to the deer I could smell the tarsal glands!!!! Now normally the rut doesn't kick in here in Maryland until November, and pre rut doesn't usually start until late October. All the other deer seem to be on track but this one shed his velvet early and had some smoking glands?  Anyone know why this is?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer already in Rut??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I have seen alot of deer in pens that pee on their glands all the time.  Not sure why.  My cousin usually saves a deer when bailing hay and keeps them in a pen for a while.  Bucks that are less than a year old sometimes have the tarsal glands really hot.  Don't know why.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't think does are in heat so no rut.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Lots of plants are way ahead of schedule this year in both areas of low and high moisture  levels durring the growing season.  I have ideas, but can not say why with volition.  Realative to the rut, that has everything to do with the angle of the sun, rather, the amount as well as angle of light entering a Buck's pupil. This change in hours of light as well as the angle of light entering the eye preceeds the resultant stimulation of the pituitary gland and  ultimately testosterone production.

I doubt the pre-rut is going strong anywhere in the midwest currently.  I would suggest the deer has lost his velvet, was making scrapes on field edges and "going through the motions" as the hormonal levels in his body were starting to change.

Anyway, Just my thoughts, perhaps others opinions will differ from mine?

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Rut should be later this year actually.
(should)   :dunno:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
If those boys are like most other boys and I think they are, they can be ready at a moments notice.

Just waiting for the girls, seductive look and the..OK!!..lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Bob is right on from what I know (some think moon phase is the deal sealer on actual start dates), as is Mudd.  As soon as bucks start shedding velvet they start thinking about girls.  Some bucks are naturally more aggressive than others and probably start to exhibit dominance behaviors right away.  That would account for the tarsal and early scrapes.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Buddy of mine was cutting corn and said he saw a buck with a doe. The buck was only concerned with the doe and didn't want to leave her. Maybe he is just trying to get an early start!

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
As soon as the buck sheds his velvet...he's ready to mate. But the does aren't...sound bout right   :knothead:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Put your nose close enough, tarsal glands stink any time of year…8^)

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Im a firm believer in the rut happening at the same time every year. Cool or hot weather may slow down or increase deer activity however. Does cycle like any other female animal and that is what I base my theory on. Novemeber has always been the time for me. I agree with Dave, when the velvet goes, bucks are ready.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Maybe just maybe that buck found that magic Blue pill that was accidently dropped in the corn pile?    :D

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Our bucks are still in velvet and have a lot of growing left to do.  The tines are still just the big knobs.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
White-tail deer fawns have been born every month of the year. Of course you know what that means regarding the breeding condition of a doe and buck about 7 months prior.

The peak of the rut is a very predictable thing as one moves north to south - around the 10th of November at KY's latitude. Day length (actually night length) triggers the breeding season but weather conditions can impact the intensity of breeding activity and deer movement.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
I always had a theory that the 3 1/2 year old does come in heat way before the rest of the herd to be sure they get bred.  That way they usually get bred by the biggest buck around. We get some really early fawns and that means the does are mating really early in the season. I see scrapes in early Oct. and have seen bucks chasing does in early Oct.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Greywolf and i have been driving around for a month now taking pictures of deer. Last week she got a picture of a small buck trying to mount a young doe here in southeastern Iowa. He kept trying and finally got up on her, but she wasn't having none of it and ran off. Cooler weather always gets those teenagers in the mood.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©