3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: friend gave me an old bear bow  (Read 433 times)

Offline MTQUIVER

• Trad Bowhunter
friend gave me an old bear bow
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I picked up traditional equipment about three years ago and put it down due to a bad accident. I was not in it for that long so I did not learn all I need to before picking it up again. I recently just strated shooting a recurve again.. I traded work for a PSE takedown sable at 45# and this is what I am currently shooting (just started shooting a week ago).
I tell one of my buddies and he brings me a gift. Its a super kodiak that his dad owned. It has a K in the first part of the serial #. it is 64"amo and 45#@28.. anyone know what year it may be. im guessing early 70's????

I checked over lamination and there does not seem to be any seperating. My buddy is certain that this bow has not been strung in atleast 30 years.

I bought a 60" string for it and put a bow stringer on it last night. I did not get it strung. Im a little scared to be honest with it being old but felt like I needed much more pressure to string it then my sable. What should I do here????
 just quit being a sissy? LOL

Thanks

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: friend gave me an old bear bow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Yup, just being a sissy. If she looks sound, string 'er up.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I’ no expert on Bear bows but I’m thinking if amo is 64’’ you might need a longer string. I the limbs are straight with no twist and no separation in the lams it should be good to shoot. I’m hunting this year with a 1957 Bear Kodiak and a 1960 Grizzly. The older Bear bows are really great shooters......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
You'll probably have to post a picture of the bow to date it along with the coin side.  No can do from serial number.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by stabow:
I’ no expert on Bear bows but I’m thinking if amo is 64’’ you might need a longer string.  
If you have a 64" amo length bow, you need to buy a 64"amo string for it, which the actual string length will be shorter than 64".

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Generally, a recurve that is 64" will need a 60" string. That bow just might be worth a lot more than you think.
John

Offline MTQUIVER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
i tried looking for twist in teh limbs. i guess it may get this from sitting. there apperas to be a slight twist in both limbs. is there a sure fire way to know they are straight and will thisi fix itself when I get it strung?

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Slight twist? I have a longbow with a "slight twist" and it doesn't seem to mind...

I'd string it, man!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
You should be able to sight down the limbs and determine if they are twisted or not.  Lots of pictures on the big auction site of bows held in the perfect postition to do this.  If so just apply gentle pressure in the opposite direction repeatedly until they look straight.  Then string it and repeat the drill strung. When straight leave strung for a few days.  Slight twists are easily removed.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
String n sling son.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Bear only made the 64" Super K for a few years starting in the middle of 1967.  If you can't do pics, a quick description of the bow should nail the year down.

That bow will handle a Dacron string.  Amo specs state the bows length is 3" more than the string length to properly brace it, so a AMO 64" bow will use a string that is 61" long when measured under tension  Depending on where you bought your string, it may settle in at the proper length.

Those early SuperK's are sweet bows!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Hold off! Stringing that Bear is dangerous,,, don't listen to these other guys! It could break and put an eye out. You better pack it up real good, and then mail it to me instead...LOL!!!

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Under these conditions take it to a archery place in your area. I don't advise going any further. Nobody needs to get hurt. And no need in exploding a bow you will soon regret. A couple hundred dollar bows worth it. Best wishes

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Use a stringer.

Don't stress out over a little twist.

Passing a section of panty hose over the bow's surfaces will reveal any small splinters, should there be any. Use your wife's good ones.    :D  

Just because the bow is older than you doesn't mean it will blow up. Bows are not like people.   ;)

Post pics,I suspect you have a little treasure there.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I slipped pass the stringer portion,, Change of circumstances,, Good luck

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
I believe your bow has to be a 1970 model.  Super Kodiak's had a "K" serial number starting then and a 64" bow was not offered after that year.

Does it look like this?  This is actually a 1972 model, the 1970 photo isn't that clear on the colors.  Your 1970 should look just like this but have a flat coin and no stabilizer bushing.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
My Bear Super Grizzly went unstrung for many years. It was always stored in a house, never in a garage or attic. Ask your friend where it has been stored. If in a hot attic, be careful. If in a garage, also be careful unless the garage was climate controlled.

Even so, if you've checked it over and are confident it is in good shape you might as well string it up if you intend to shoot it.

I check mine for twist by placing it tip up and on a flat surface like a kitchen counter. If it sits perfectly flat with no wobble then you're good. If it wobbles and you're certain the counter is flat, then you have twist. Putting the string on reversed helps too. With bow relaxed take the string and loop one end over the a tip. Take the string straight to the other tip across the face or front of the bow and loop it over the other tip. Now sight down the string looking for any visual twist. The string is usually just short enough to put slight tension on the limbs this way. This is how I store my Bear.

Congrats on the gift. Sounds like you're gonna have a fun future shooting it. Those old Bears are tough.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
MT if you want i;ll make you a string for it to fit send me your info and i'll send you one

Offline MTQUIVER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
sorry guys. hunted this weekend.

here are some pics of the bow.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
You got a solid gold horseshoe stashed somewhere for sure, you lucky sunagun!

If the limbs look as good as the riser, you need to put a good string on that beauty and go destroy some arrow nocks.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©