3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What went Wrong? Camp Bowdoc 2010  (Read 276 times)

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
What went Wrong? Camp Bowdoc 2010
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
So, Here's one of the highs and lows that happened to me during the Wa elk season. with 5 men in camp and 3 Hunting. Here's what one of the highlights during 2010 elk.        The afternoon of the 8th. I left camp around 3:30pm. I headed east as i was going down toward the east end of bottom road to hunt area we called Memorial, The wind was 7-8 mph and coming from south to no. So i decided to drop in shadow creek.    I Made very little sound going down the steep and thick hill side to the bottom. While crossing the creek at the bottom i made little more noise than i was hoping for. So I sat down on a stump and made a few cow calls. Had a smoke,waiting and listening. I could here people up Buggling up on the tamerack road.      Well trying to anyways. [Not the gun turret road]. Wondering if they really could get down to me, from there steep slope which is layered in deadfall trees like pick-up sticks. Wondering if they too had it in them to get down here. With every way in every direction being a brutal up hill trek. I got up and started to go and i heard movement getting closer. I then froze in place with the wind steady to my face, And the hair on my neck already going the other direction. Wondering which thick patch was going to move. Right in front of me about 4-5 Yards there were about 6 rep rode trees about seven ft tall all bunched together. I was certain the guys up above heard the cow calls and quartered the wind right on top of me. Debating on how to be quiet and let the guy or guys know it was me. Being fully camoed from top to bottom. Not wanting to give someone a heart attack and pack them out of that canyon. Just then And big black mouth ripped the top of the tree off with another type of brush grow in between Still. froze in place, Now knowing it was not the guys, and were elk. My heart was racing and legs shaking. With steady windy i watched a cow to my left and to my right 12-15 yards grazing. Hoping and waiting for the one in front of me to step out either left or right. With minimal shooting lanes. I continue to see patches of grey and black moving on both sides. As for the one in arms reach, I Easily could have used my bow as a bat and crack the elk up side the head. This now after about 18-22 mins later from the beginning of the stand off, Still in a upright crouched position. I accidentally moved the bow from keeping it at probably half draw this hole time. and the elk seen that little movement of my top limb and pushed back up hill 8 or so yards. Wondering what that was that moved, the two elk are as still as i have been. My Eyes moving like watching a tennis match. I then see a large rack,, top portion any ways. From the elk in front of me. Without a branch bull permit, He now is out of the question for my tags. The elk to my left was know returning on the same path she took down about 30 yards and she stopped with her head down. With only one lane to shoot threw, her body filled the hole lane. I then drew my Whiffen Comet 53#@28 to full draw and released the arrow, on the right side just where i placed her heart to be. The arrow was on its way,,,My Bow and arrows in bow quiver had collected a lot of water from the weather we had been having, and shot water in my face upon releasing the arrow. Hearing only a few stomps i immediately cow called and was on a super rush then. Waited a few mins to collect myself, I Ribbon ed off and moved out with the wind as silent as i moved down there.. Part one of two..                          Part 2, I make my way up the road. I had flash back after flash back on what just happened. The duration of time i was froze in place hearing and seeing these professional animals at work. As i reach the top of the hill, now knowing its time to explain what happened. I explained briefly what happened and knew there were only a hr or so of light. Ward {BOWDOC} and I thought it be best to take Cody and Gary down there to see only impact area and no further. Wind was the same as the hour before at the bottom crossing creek. I showed my help quietly what and were this had unfolded. With the combined help of these two men were about 5 yrs, and no blood trails. We briefly did a 20 yard search of the impact area. With no sign of my St Charles arrow, and bear razor head. The shot i made was at 24 yards from me to her. With night fall quickly coming upon us, and no arrow in which all three of us quietly looked for. I made the decision to quietly move out. We made your way back to camp with very little info than before. The night went very slow with very little sleep.At the crack of dawn I choose to go and meet the faint alone. Crabby, tired, and with no answers. I returned to the impact area. I stood in place this all accured. Hoping, wondering, looking for additional possible shooting lanes. Nothing was out of place, every thing was as explained. I got to were there the possibly 3-4 yr old elk was standing. This part was simple, it was a well groomed game trail. Only thing i didn't know was there was a slight depression or washout area maybe 7 yrs in a oval shaped in which she was in the middle of. I got on my hands and knees and start looking over every leaf for the next few hrs. For those that have been there to many lefts and rights you easily get turned around. Now confident there were no arrow and no blood in the impact area. I start going her direction after the shot. Moving as quietly as ever before and trying to put this puzzle together. At this point the feeling of emptiness is starting. I have no answers, no arrow. And no crows or turkey vultures making this cut and dry. I followed the paths, grassy patches and deadfall tree's. In a quiet microscopic manner. I sat down had a cig. Asking and hoping for answers I didn't have. I continued to follow what i thought her path might have been in several directions. I'm now in the canyon with the gun turret between me and camp. My mind racing still,, over and over i replay the day before. As the sun starts to reach closer to noon. I decide to return to camp and get my metal detector that has found arrows all over camp. Even from many yrs being under surface, Also ones from the Bowdoc prior to my ten yrs hunting with him. Now wondering if i had shot over her back. As most animals frantically taking off. They must go down before darting off. Loading there legs for blazing over or threw anything in its path. Making it back to camp still with no additional info. My brother agrees to give me a hand back down in the dark thick canyon known as Shadow creek. I sweep every square inch possible with this detector waiting for the buzz of metal. Nothing. With time leaving my side. Now the pride of traditional hunting still weighing me down. Running out of time, and knowing full well i owe it to the animal to exhaust every option to recover her quickly. Still no crows and vultures flaunting there find. By now I Am a mess, mentally, physically, just flat bankrupt. Drinking every drop of water from my hydration pack.Laying on my back, wondering what now/. My moral is about as low as the canyon I'm surrounded in. Sitting in a vast wilderness, with nothing more than tears and questions. I then return to camp. Spending the next few days wondering what happened as i try to continue the season. Still refusing to give up on her or my arrow. I believe we should not take from nature, and only take what nature gives us. Still to this day same feeling of unanswered questions.The typical mountain weather, hot,cold wet and dry and wind that can tear your tent in half with ease. I really don't know what i could have done differently. Want to thank my brother Cody, and Gary for helping. I will continue to look for my arrow until the snow fly's. Seems the admission to the quality of time i got to spend with these elk. froze in time. Came at a high price. Wish more than any reading this, there were a different out come. I believe i exhausted every option. I gave it everything i had. then some more. Thanks for reading. and those that helped. First time putting events on the computer instead of writing it.Rookie writer at best. Any suggestions? Thanks Again, Warberg

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What went Wrong? Camp Bowdoc 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I hate to hear that you didn't find her.I think the story is good.I enjoyed reading it.Elk huntin is but a mere dream for me and I rweally felt like part of the hunt.Maybe someday,but I think you did all you could possibly do.It is nice to hear that someone like yourself gave so much respect to the sport and the animal.Thanks for a good read.

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Good story Chad  :thumbsup:  I have been in your shoes a few times myself,sound like you gave it your best effort, thanks for sharing.  :clapper:
Larry

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Always eager to learn about the sport, I quit drinking yrs ago to put my drive to Traditional hunting. This one surly tempted sobriety. In pursuit of these incredible animals. I continue to learn more than i will even know. This is why i hunt, and this is why i enjoy the challenge of using equip older than me. As for laying down the bow. Not a chance. This is one of a few story's Im transferring to a modern day piece of equip, called a computer. Thanks much and Guys. Warberg

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
I'm sorry it didn't work out but I had a similar experience last year on a nice whitetail buck.  I found the arrow but no blood and somehow missed him at 12 yards.  I blame a twig either in the blind or between me and him.

My only writing suggestion is to break the story up into more easily read paragraphs rather than one long piece.  

Good story though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I Understand that Reddogge, Rookie at best. I type two words per min. Lol,,, guess how long it took to type that.. Keep them comin, I will take all the insite out there... Thanks much

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Attempted to space it apart,without success, Gonna try to add a few pics soon..

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Sorry to hear you couldn't find the elk, it happens.  Without being there, it's hard to say what you could have done different, if anything.  With no arrow and no blood, it sounds like you did the best you could with what you had.  

As far as your writing, not everyone is Hemingway, thanks for taking the time and effort to post the story!   :thumbsup:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
It's part of what we do and I understand that sinking feeling of loss. I'm sorry you lost her but sounds like you gave her every once of respect in your search and exhausted every possibility  :)  It has happened to me and will happen to anyone that hunts long enough  :)  

Thanks for the story and hunt on .....   :archer2:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Yes Sir, Thanks for the reponce..

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
pics unsuccessful,, still trying.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Sorry to here about your experience. I had a similar experience many years ago. Shot was downhill at about 15 yds. the arrow it bone, and bent the Bear Razorhead out of a 60# Kodiak. Followed the blood into the timber until it was too dark to see. Tracking in the snow made it pretty easy.

The next day, I went back to the spot and continued the trail, the elk bedded several times leaving blood in the bed, within 100 yds I found the fiberglass arrow upright in the snow, covered in blood. Piecing facts together it looked like it pulled the arrow out, or another one did it because it was in a group of 3 or 4.

I followed it for a mile through the snow, and even jumped the elk which was still with another. I watched them run across a clearing that was 200 yds across. It never stopped, slowed or stumbled. It was totally frustrating.I was never able to get close again, and eventually lost the trail when the bleeding stopped, and the rain washed out all sign.

If you never found any piece of the arrow, and no blood, it may have missed hitting anything, and did not bleed, except internally. If you waited an hour before taking up the trail, the elk never bedded, my suspicion is it was not hurt, or it was a miss.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I do believe if i had missed, the arrow would have been recovered. But very clear is was a non fatal hit. She may have a St Charles Arrow piercing to show her girl friends. Might be there new style. Its reasons and experiences why we continue to peruse these truly remarkable professional animals. This is one of a few encounters That occurred at camp Bowdoc. If this was the only chance for me on elk, It was worth every penny to me what i spent to go play this yr.I also learned that we possibly only hear a part of the elks communication.. Ur  Thought on that?

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Chad, I agree if you missed you might find the arrow, but I meant missed any vitals with little blood. I am thinking two holes are better than one, and no blood makes trailing almost impossible in some terrain especially with much rain. Ya did all you could.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Cant wait for the next opportunity, What a rush,, Very determined the find that arrow. Lots of answers, and not one i like to leave behind..Thanks Much..

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks much to those that took the time to read this Topic,, I will come up with a treasure to those that replied. Gonna have one of my kids pick a name by the 25th. Thanks again tradgangers..

Offline lesaint45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Having hunted that area with the Doc. I know this, you really wanted that elk bad!  There isn't a rougher area in tatum to hunt. I also know how savy the Bow Doc is. So if you guys could't find her. She eally is walking around with St.Charles tatoo. At least until rifle season. Good job Chad! just like the Doc teaches
Lar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©