3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've been bow trading.. again!!  (Read 229 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've been bow trading.. again!!
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
From 33 yards these are the 1st 3 arrows. I stopped so as not to ruin another one!!! What a bow.

I hadn't ever heard of the bowyer GW Flannagan before but I liked the looks of this bow better than I liked the looks of my ILF Win/Win bow so I traded for this one.

I have a ritual I go through with every bow that comes to my home. I look it over real good in the kitchen then string it up put on my back quiver and step out onto my back deck and sent all of the arrows in the quiver down range. I'm not looking for accuracy at this step just want to get a feel for the bow.

I only used a half of a quiver full on the GW because I also had traded my compond off for an American longbow by Dan Quilian that needed to be shot also. All of my arrows shot out of both bows were all together in the target.. that's a good thing and a good sign.

A couple of hours later I decided to shoot both down on the range. These 3 arrows are as close as I got to to getting that job done.....lol One knock is enough to ruin.

You impressed?... I was... and still am!!

What an awesomely good looking, great shooting bow.    Thank you Bob Littlefield

Thanks for looking.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've been bow trading.. again!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Wow Mudd, nice shooting! I have heard good things about those bows too. I can tell you are mighty pleased with your new bow and you should be.
   :clapper:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I told ya to stick with your longbows...   :biglaugh:  It really looks like you found a bow to hang on to this time, nice shooting!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Beautiful bow and great shooting. I am going to have to start calling you Mr. Mudd!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Good looking bow and better shooting.
USMC 82-86

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Personally I think the only reason it shot so good is because I set the nock, made the string, and broke it in for ya Mudd  :)

Told you it was something else didn't I
Bob L

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
and to rubb it in, I still got two that shoot better than that one  :)
Bob L

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Bob, how can they shoot better?

In fact I think I should stay away from any bows that shoot better than this one....lol Remember "I hate building arrows"...lol

As of right now this is is making me replace two nocks and I don't have two full quivers full out of it.

God bless,Mudd

PS:I just got this from Greysquirrel. He says this is a better shooter than mine.

"Here's my ugly one at 25 yds.  Don't know how to post to trad gang with pics.  You might put this up there.
This is one of my "twins" I kept.  One is 45lb at 28, the other is 43lb.
Bob"

This was from 25 yards.

Thanks again Bob!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
By the way Mudd, that string is a 15 strand Dynaflight 97 3 ply string. You can put strings on it that will make it go faster, but they won't group as well.  After several of us played around with fast flight, b50, skinny strings, etc, etc.   I opted to "slow" the bow down a bit with the 15 strand string.  The 15 strand string with serving fits my nocks perfectly (main reason I chose it)  A 14 strand does not.  Lower than a 14 strand and you start getting flyers if you aren't real careful.

If you think woodies are great out of it, you should try carbon express 90's.  (it's a lot easier to change the nocks out on those:)

Now most people down here (there are about 80-90 close to me) that shoot his bows are using 15 strand dynaflight 97, or fastflight with a braceheight of about 8-8 1/2 inches.

We put that particular bow with a young kid pulling exactly 28 inches shooting a carbon express 90 that weighed 420 grains through a chronograph.  Out of 5 arrows, the slowest was 195 fps, the fastest was 198.  I didn't count the one when he grunted and flung it, it went over 200.
Bob L

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Dagg-um Mudd!!  You shoot real good!!  That bow is a real looker for sure.  I hope you shoot that good outta your blind!!  You need another freezer for all the venison you will be getting!!  :archer2:
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Great looking bow, and great shooting. It looks like that one is a keeper.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Looks like it is cut past center. You can tell just by looking at the workmanship and finish that the man is a good craftsman. Mudd you are a great shooter. Grin.

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
They are cut 1/16th past center Sixby. When you put the velcro sideplate on it brings sideplate to just a bit past center on the other side.
Bob L

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Great shootin' Mudd........and a good shootin' bow as well.  BTW - I thought you were "done" with bow trading!

That bow shoots so good it looks like it scared that stuffed bunny to death!    :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©