3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Tradgang Elk Hunt Story  (Read 1560 times)

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Tradgang Elk Hunt Story
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Sounds like you guys are having a fine adventure.secnd year in a row I havn't been in the pines    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  Life gets in the way sometimes.Guess I'll just have too live through you guys this year.Nice cow congrats
Jeff Couture

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Actually Cooch, this is the first year I've organized a hunt.  Maybe your thinking of the Oregon elk hunt.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Wow!! great stuff, can't wait for more  :)

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I'm going to throw you guys some more pictures until the other guys in the group can chime in.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Kinda heart broken I didn't get to go...
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Steve Humphrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Congrats on the cow and thanks for taking us along.
Keep the pics and stories coming.

Steve
We have made a start in discovering the meaning of human life when we plant shade trees under which we know full well we will never sit. - D. Elton Trueblood

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Thomas (String Cutter).  Don't be fooled by the pictures, it's been a terrible hunt, you didn't miss anything...OK, that was my lame attempt to make you feel better.  Sorry you couldn't make it.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
I'll share a little more here about how my hunt went down.  I was sitting and reading on a ridge at just over 10,000' elevation.  I had seen some sign in the area and had spooked two different groups of elk that morning in the area so I thought that my morning hunt was over.  I was trying to warm up so I was out in the sun with my back to a tree.  I heard what sounded like a cow call but there were some Clark's Nutcracker (Camp Robbers) birds flying around in the area and they can sometimes sound like an elk.  I reached down and squeezed my bulb call just in case and went back to reading.  I heard it again so I called again and continued reading.  About a minute later, I looked up and there was a cow coming straight at me from about 50 yds.  I was just able to get to my knees and grab my bow before she was at about 20 yds.  I wanted to scoot back into the shadows and stand up but there was no time.  She first looked like she would come around a blowdown to my left but then turned and came in to my right.  I was able to get my body turned to the right and when her head went behind a tree, I drew.  She stepped out and was 12 yds away. I picked a spot, and I think I hit that spot.  I called like crazy as she ran away but I don't think she even heard me.  She was crashing through trees and running blind.  When I shot, she was quartering slightly toward me so I just got one lung.  She ran over a quarter mile before dying on her feet and sliding under a blowdown.  It took 3 1/2 hours on my knees following the blood trail to find her because the undergrowth is turning colors and it was very difficult to see blood.  Even though I like to hunt alone, it was great to get into camp and share my success with the other guys there.  Even though there were bulls in the area, I had decided that I would not be picky on this hunt and take the first legal elk.  My shoulder has been bothering me so I had to drop my bow weight down into the low 40s.  I was very pleased with the penetration though (20") from my 630 gr. arrow and this cow represents an awesome trophy for me.  She is my 6th. elk taken with a traditional bow but my first traditional elk on public land.  It took until after midnight to get the meat to camp (2 REALLY heavy packs).

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Very awesome pictures,and i love the story.CONGRATES

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
nice country.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
We have seen quite a few of these guys:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
...and these guys...we have had close encounters with moose walking back to camp in the dark.

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Like you have said many times, heavy arrows from low poundage bows produce great results.  Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to back up your proof, as I again will be having tag soup after my fourth season hunting traditional with a 50# long bow as I too haave some shoulder issues.  I know when I finally get a shot opportunity my 625 grain arrows will not fail!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and stories!

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Awsome pics and hunt story. I always get caught up in the hunt and forget to take pics. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
T-bone, I was unsure about shooting my setup this year, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to test it on an elk.  630 gr. with a Zwickey Eskimo (2-blade) going 143 fps.  I heard a crack when the arrow hit so I think it glanced off a rib too.  The drawback is that at 30 yds. it really takes a dive so my shots have to be closer than when I could shoot those heavy arrows faster.  I figured that an average 55# selfbow would shoot the same weight arrow at about the same speed.

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
Hi Doug.

That is awsome!  Right now I am shooting a 50# montana long bow which casts a 625 grain weight tube filled Easton shaft about 145 fps.  I have a two blade Magnus stinger on the business end so we have pretty much identical set ups.  I truly admire your experience in this area from your posts that I have read over the last few years.  congradulations on your trophy!!  I hope that I can connect one of these times.  I have no doubts about my penetration based on my target practice.  My current arrows penetrate just as well as my 550 grains from my 60# longbow that I rarely shoot these days.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Very nice Doug, That rib roast over the fire made me start drooling on my keyboard.   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
That is cool. Cogradualtions!

By The Way 50 lbs is NOT enough for ELK!    :campfire:      :archer:

Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Gotta love elk country and the stories! congatulations on the cow and best of luck to the rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©