3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: silent longbow advice  (Read 650 times)

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
silent longbow advice
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
hello !

i have never been a fan of string silencers, bruch buttons, limsavers etc ...

I really think that they suck your bow performance.

I am actually looking for a longbow(#40-45@28) that is silent out of the box, just with a string on ... nothing added !
 (i am using Aero Fligt from brownell by the way)

If you know an US bowyer famous for its silent longbow, just let me know with a little reply on this post.

Best regards

M

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: silent longbow advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I would venture to say that the quietest one, with nothing on the string, is going to be a straight limbed [or string follow] Hill-style bow.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Miller all bamboo with a heavier than needed string by a strand or two with good wax.  The quietest bow I have ever seen, with good speed to boot.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
From my limited experience with three longbows.  The quietest longbows are those with skinny strings.  I have two straight limb bows, a Big River and a Hill Big Five and both of them have become much quieter with an 8 strand, padded loop 8125 string. The other bow a R/D Big River was pretty quiet already but that too was helped with an 8 strand 8125 string.  I don't have silencers on any of them any more.

The bow that was the most amazing was the Hill Big Five.  It was like holding a tuning fork when I shot it with a Dacron string.  Put on the skinny string and you wouldn't have even suspected that it was the same bow - it was that much quieter and of course much less hand shock as well.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
My pignut hickory flat limb is just as quiet as the all bamboo I got to shoot and surprisingly quick, now that I have properly dried and sealed and tillered it just right.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
MOHAWK!   :thumbsup:

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I don't use any silencers with my Hill Wesley Special.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Morrison's are deadly quiet.  I used to think that silencers rob your bow of performance until I did some extensive testing with chrono.   With a six strand SBD string with acrylic puffs gained 5fps over a standard string with no silencers and deadly silent.  just a thought.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Kimsha Mattawoman or Mattawoman II.  I have itty bitty acrylic/wool puffs on mine that are almost gone.  I don't think I need them anyway.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Dave Beelers longbows.one of the quietest longbows I ever shot and I have shot a pile of them.
robert quetot

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I wouldn't discount a Northern Mist. Good price, good quiet bows. I shot behind a fella at a 3-d shoot and he had a bare string and the bow made a wisp when he let it go. Wood arrows help of course.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:

The bow that was the most amazing was the Hill Big Five.  It was like holding a tuning fork when I shot it with a Dacron string.  Put on the skinny string and you wouldn't have even suspected that it was the same bow - it was that much quieter and of course much less hand shock as well.
I agree Pete.I have a Big 5. Had a B50 string on it & it had quite a bit of string vibration. Put a 10 strand D97 & the buzz was gone.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
My pignut hickory flat limb is just as quiet as the all bamboo I got to shoot and surprisingly quick, now that I have properly dried and sealed and tillered it just right.
+1
 My Gila is whisper quiet with a flemish twist string.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline aroadik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Just finished a "non traditional longbow" Quinn riser, Das connection plate's and Sky carbon/foam r/d longbow limbs with Das connections. Hunting quiet and very good shooter ! cheers Pete
non traditional longbow shooter

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
The quietest bow I've ever not heard was a selfbow crafted by Jamie Miller.

Offline whipbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Toelke Whipbows...
They dont need anything and are very very quiet.
montanabows.com
Carl

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
GN Bushbow or Critter Gitter.

Alot of longbows are gonna be very quiet with the bare minumum of silencers attached to the string.That wont rob your bows performance hardly at all!!!A couple very small puffs or cat whiskers cut in half.Then cut one of those sections in half and install.Hardly adds any weight to the string at all.

Your gonna get a little bit of string buzz on almost any bow without string silencers.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
If you are worried about noise then I would also work on your arrows.

Heavier arrows are quieter off the bow as we all know

Also feathers are noisy and the bigger and more twist the noisier. Don't discount the impact. Stand down range somewhere safe and listen to big 5" helicals or worse flu flus litterally sound like they are ripping the air.

Also vented broadheads are noisier than solid blades.

Well tuned EFOC arrows need much less feathers to fly and is a good way to quiet your set-up
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Another vote for Toelke.

I have rubber cat whiskers on my string, but I probably don't need them as I shoot a heavy enough arrow. Quick and quiet..that sums up a Toelke.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
I have shot many different longbows. One of the quietest I know is the BlackCreek Bows by Jim Gainey. He is a Sponsor on this site.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©