3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your opinion on grizzlystik arrows.  (Read 771 times)

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
Your opinion on grizzlystik arrows.
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Im not a carbon shooter but im soon going to be shooting a new fiberglass longbow and want to shoot carbons for a little more consistency in each arrow and a little flatter arrow flight.

Are they worth the asking price? or is there better ways to go?    :dunno:  

Any input is welcome and i thanks you for it.

God bless.

Re: Your opinion on grizzlystik arrows.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I have some. With certain bows they shoot to the right, when shooting right handed, compared to tapered cedars, my lighter longbows, my recurve and my heavier longbows. However, with one, 57.5@26", they shoot close enough that if I shoot just a couple of arrows, I can have them zeroed in. I suspect it has something to do with the continuous taper in the lighter bows and the spine in the heavier bows.  Do they kill deer better than my Rogue River tapered cedars? Not that I have seen, for elk it may be a different story.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I love them. Very tough, high quality shafts. Makes for a good heavy arrow.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
They don't handle hard impacts too well, splitting around the insert. This has happened on shoulders as well as on termite mounds. The Douglas fir is way stronger.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I have some and like them.  But I would buy Beman MFX trad. shafts over them.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
The good thing about them is that they can be made really heavy and they do fly well out of really heavy bows. However, if you shoot normal game from normal bows, other carbons will suit you better.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I glue the inserts with hard epoxy and then wrap the ends and secure with glue, just like I do with fiberglass shafts to prevent splitting possibilities.  Has anyone tried the tapered doug fir shafts from Allegeny Mountain Arrow Woods?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm shooting tapered Doug Fir from Surewood-excellent!

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Ok from your guys opinions/experience i dont think they are what im looking for.

What about BEMAN MFX classic carbon arrows they any good?

Is there a lot of modification you have to do to the arrows so they shoot good?

Thanks for your time and input.

God bless.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
My two cents:  I love my GRizz sticks, if you are shooting a bow less than 60 lbs @ your draw. I would look at Gold Tip or Arrow dynamics trad.

I dont think they shoot better than my woods but I prefer them in the rain....

Those Grizzly Sticks sure pretty!!!  To me anyway
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I just lost my riser because the bow dry fired when the nock broke on the grizzlystik. That was one very expensive nock. So if you ask me I hate them.
And by the way the nock broke inside the shaft.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Could never get them to fly right - went to AD's and that solved the problem (after replacing the nocks).   I shoot under 60 lbs.  I did like the way they looked, and I know people who love them.  Most of them shoot heavy weight bows.
Mel Riley

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I like the MFX Classic, easy to tune, flies great. My setup is 29inch 500 arrow, 175 VPA Terrminator, with a 50# RER recurve.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I use Grizzlies for big heavy game. Took my buff with a 1000 grain stik and STOS head combo out of a 76 pound silvertip.  They shot soooooo well. Quartering away at 25 yards it buried to the nock, have pics of the freshly downed buff, when I figure how to post I'll put them up. Penetration was unbelieveable.  BUT!!!!! I agree with the other guys, for whitetails and such from lighter bows, there are a lot of better options. Beman, Carbon Express, Goldtip, etc. All make high quality carbons that are easy to tune and shoot. Never had a problem with damage. Caribou, bears, elk, red stag, whitetails, carp, wild boar....never a damaged arrow yet with carbons. But I have heard a few bad stories, maybe I've been lucky.
David M. Conroy

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
MFX vote here as well.I have grizzly sticks too and like em cause they fly well for a heavy shaft and make for a quiet shot.The MFX are simply more durable and easier to tune.100 grain brass inserts are readily available and you will be strongly challenged trying to break one as long as your not shooting rocks and such.I still wouldnt trade a good set of woodies for any carbon shaft out there.I usually have a combination of woodies and MFX in my quivers.Grizzly sticks come out when I need a large diameter shaft for shooting 3Ds for points.

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Well hey im just trying to find some nice shooting arrows and if carbons aint them then speak now please! In your experience what would shoot the best? (in your opinion) Wood (please say what type) carbon..etc Im not looking for a arrow that bends easy and is slow thats why i was thinking carbon but i have know experience with carbon. Any input is great and thanks for your time!

The bow i will be shooting from is a 66" longbow it will be in the 50 55# range at 27.5 length draw.

God bless.

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I have 18 sitka blems cut at 27 3/4 never used would trade for a dozen MFX .500 spined.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Last year I killed 5 deer,1 hog and at least 5 armadillos with same Alaskan Grizzly Stick shaft. 5th deer broke the shaft because head stuck in a root on pass through while back half of shaft was still in deer. We do not have many termites mounds here in MIssissippi but if I see one, I'll pass on it
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Here's the answer you are looking for...whats better carbon or wood right?  Every wood shaft is different from the one next to it. Wood is natures shaft, very imperfect. Carbon are built to EXTREME specifications.  If you want perfect arrow flight, shoot carbon. You'll be better off with a perfectly matched arrow. But then again, a perfectly machined metal risered olympic style bow is also much more structurally perfect than any custom wood bow will ever be.  But you shoot a longbow, that says something about you. You enjoy the challenge of shooting a bow that requires more skill and time to shoot well. You are limiting yourself! You are a TRAD GUY!

Now what you don't want to hear, carbons may NOT be your answer.. Trad guys love wood, and know how to shoot them. If you are competing for the IBO open championship, wood is out. But for hunting and 3D, a really good set of woods is just fine. You have to put the work in to see what type of wood shoots out of your bow. Tapered port oxford cedars are an absolutely killer shaft, and there are other great woods too.. I'd gladly hunt with them any day. Plus you get the satisfaction of shooting a more traditional shaft instead of a modern one, if thats your thing.
Carbons are a GREAT hunting and tournament shaft. So are woods. Carbons break for some, so do woods. I think the decision is not as difficult as you are making it. Part of the fun is making things work through your own trial and error.
As far as arrow speed, throw that out the window. If you shoot a quality bow with a matched arrow, it will shoot PLENTY fast enough to kill anything you are hunting. Trad guys dont make many 50 yard shots like the modern guys do. At those distances, one step of an animal turns a kill into a bad wound. If your arrow is flying too slow, it is just WAY too heavy.  Holy crap, someone tell me to shut up!
David M. Conroy

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I built a shooting machine years ago.  I rebuilt it so I could put my longbows in it.  I wanted, at that time, to see if aluminum arrows would be better than the woods that I was using, because every so often I would get a wacko flying aluminum arrow and my woods seemed more consistent. At 25 yards I could not afford to test more than three arrows because the fourth arrow blew them into splinters in my Saunders mat.  I suppose it depends on the bow, but a forgiving set of good wood shafts, tapered Rogue River cedar is what i tested, are easy to pick a spine cut to a length that is not crazy long and use with confidence.  I am not one that enjoys messing around with varied insert weights and I like my arrows as short as possible.  For someone that just wants a reliable good set of arrows right from the get go, i always recommend wood.  And I will be giving Shurwood a call.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©