3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lonetree archery...  (Read 647 times)

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
lonetree archery...
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
can anyone tell me about this company.i just got a long bow (used) an dont know anything about them.
"the good stuff"

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lonetree archery...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
If it is a lonetree longbow, signed by Ralph Castoe, it is a darn good longbow and many in Okla would love to have one.  Ralph passed away several years ago from cancer
Bob L

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I've got one that was his Ocelot model and it is my number one "go to" bow.  Mine is 66" long, fairly pronounced reflex/deflex almost to the "hybrid" point and will pull smooth to about 33 or 34" of draw.  I pull it to about 32.5".

I got my first one at the Texas State Longbow shoot years ago and it was the prettiest longbow I've ever seen then or since.  Zebrawood limbs, Macassar Ebony riser with stripes, horn overlays.  But the limbs.... the wood grain was simply amazing.  Unfortunately, the bow started to show signs of delamination on the belly sides at mid limb.  Little white spots popped up under the glass.  I called Ralph and he immediately said he had been worried about that bow.  It was the only one he'd ever made with zebrawood in the limbs and after selling it, he'd been talking with a few other bowyers and they'd had problems with delamination on bows they'd made with that wood.  He said to send it back and he would replace it but not with a bow that had zebrawood in the limbs as he absolutely didn't want any future failures of his bows.  Since I was a sucker for a purty piece of wood and loved a lot of grain/figure, he suggested curly myrtle and that's what I went with.  Not quite as pretty as the zebrawood bow was but certainly beautiful in it's own way.

I later learned that zebrawood is commonly used in bow limbs but not usually as a working part of the limb unless it is cut with the grain facing a certain way or as a veneer.  On the bow I had, the laminations were cut on a bias across the grain with a lot of "run-out" which is why the grain was so amazingly figured.  It looked like marble.  Basically, if you looked at the edge of the limb, you could see the edge of the lamination and the grain coming in on the bottom edge of the lam and running back out the top side about 1 to 1.5" up the limb so it's no wonder it didn't work.

Regardless, all the lonetree bows I've seen and shot were VERY well made and designed.  About the only thing I'd change would be the size of the tip overlays.  They are very nicely done but longer/thicker than they need to be. But that would be nit picking at best.

If you paid under $400 you probably got a heck of a deal.  I don't know what his prices topped out at but mine cost me I believe $480 back in about 1999 or 2000.  Honestly I'm not sure what year I bought it...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a lefty for sale,
66in 56#. 325.00
They are a great bow, mine is for sale as I no longer shoot left hand.

Mr. Castoe was a great guy,I only talked to him on the phone but sure enjoyed it.  George

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
thanks for the info.."couruer d' bouis"is on the bottom limb  any idea what this means?
"the good stuff"

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I think it means 'woods runner.'
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
He made basically two models, first one was the "couruer d bouis, it does mean woods runner.
Second was the Ocelot.  Basic difference is the handle section.
Bob L

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
I had an Ocelot,sweet shooting bow.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Mr Castoe was an amazing bowyer. He was also a super easy guy to talk to on the phone. He is missed very much in the archery world.

His Courier de Bois model was a very mild r/d longbow. Sweet pulling and sweet shooting longbow. I had a 66" 50# version and gave it to my brother when he got back into trad.

Mr. Castoe then came out with a stronger r/d model called Ocelot. My Ocelot is just an amazing shooter....I will never sell it.

~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kruked arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
thanks everyone lots of good info.
"the good stuff"

Offline cuda67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 04:37:53 PM »
I realize this is an old thread but I was digging out my longbows a few days ago and it made me start thinking of my old friend Ralph Castoe. It is good to see the comments about him on this site. He was an amazing man and dear friend. He actually got me into traditional archery back about 1994. Several year before he started making his own bows. I actually befriended one of his sons (Wade Castoe) at a place we worked, we both loved fishing. I went over to their house to meet Wade and was introduced to Ralph. I had never seen anyone so dedicated to traditional archery in the area. I was an avid compound bow shooter/hunter but Ralph soon drew me over to traditional archery. We went to local 3D shoots quite often and man, did I learn a lot. I actually have what I believe to be the 2nd longbow Ralph ever built. He let me help on some of the finishing work. He said "It's your bow, you should have a hand it making it". It is truly a "One of A kind" since Ralph, being the perfectionist that he was wasn't satisfied, so he took a saw and cut up the laminating form and started on a new design. The bow is radial cut Red Elm laminated limbs with clear glass/satin finish, Zebrawood Riser with Cocobolo tips cut in what I think is Old English Style. It's is very very mild R/D. Another thing Ralph wanted to try was making a symmetrical bow. I think this one has the same length limbs top and bottom measured from the arrow rest (Have to verify). It is a fine bow and the smoothest bow I have ever shot at 67" 56# @28". It is what I think as pretty fast as well. I went off to college (@30+: Lol) and didn't see much of my friend until I received word from one of his sons that he had passed away. I really miss my friend and wish I had taken the bow back to Ralph after he started Lone Tree Archery and had him stamp/sign it for me. Again, this site and thread brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks everyone and God bless.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©