3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone Ever Draw a Bighorn Sheep Permit -- Must it take Years?  (Read 442 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone Ever Draw a Bighorn Sheep Permit -- Must it take Years?
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Another thread caused me to contemplate my life's dream, hunting bighorn sheep. Of course I'm not unique in this regard, I imagine this is a crowded dream!

I'm planning to (finally) start applying for a Bighorn tag next year. From what I can see it appears Montana may be the best bet for someone my age because a few of their tags go to people purely at random, regardless of how many preference or bonus points you have (I figure I'd better draw in 10-15 years or forget it).

Have any of you or do you know someone who drew such a tag in less than 5 years?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone Ever Draw a Bighorn Sheep Permit -- Must it take Years?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
There have been a few here that have drawn. I hope they chime in. I was applying in several states hoping to draw before I lost the dream or just got too old. The $1,000 a year I was throwing away in application fees not to mention the $10,000 or so in upfront money that was required in all the states for license and tags in order to apply just kind of took the fun out of it. I no longer have the desire.
Jack Shanks

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
There are many, MANY residents of Montana that have been applying for Bighorn Sheep for over 40 years.  There is no way to guarantee drawing a tag in a decent unit ever, much less 5 years, resident or non in any state.  You are 15 or 16 PREFERENCE points behind in Wyoming for instance.

With that said, you can draw a bighorn sheep tag, but you have to suck it up and realize the odds are long and apply in every state where tags are available and hope for the best.

Then, even when you beat the odds, draw a tag, and give it your all, you may end up with an unpunched tag but a lifetime of memories like this:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049593  

If you just want the experience, you will have a lot better odds putting in for a ewe tag in the states that offer them.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Took me 18 years as a WY res. That is not a bad wait. I know guys that have tried longer and still haven't got drawn.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
I used a camera in Colorado and it didn't cost me all that much.  I figured that was as close as I was ever going to get and that over twenty years ago.  It is easy to get disappointed and broke trying for the tag.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Odds of drawing a ram tag in most Montana units is roughly 1 in a hundred.Some units it is 1 in two hundred.Most people have 9 bonus points by now so their names are in the hat 9 times.It is still a random drawing though.Probably 3/4ths of the units don't give tags to non-residents because there are just a handful of tags.

A lot of people from all over the country play the application game.It is a tough one.

I have put in for sheep,goat and moose for 15 years and did draw a moose tag last year.That's it.We have lost several sheep units to disease so everyone will be applying for less opportunities now.Odds get worse every year.Still,you have to play to win.

You can go to Montana's website to check on statistics.People do draw tags the first year and some don't get one in 40.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I know the odds are very long. They'll be a bit longer even because I won't be able to tie up lots of application fees at a time. So, I'll pick 1-2 states and put in. It will be exciting (for a year or two I imagine) just to have my name in the hat.  I'll have to stay away from states where preference point levels are the only determining factor.

It is too cool that some of you have drawn or are getting very close to drawing.

I thought about hunting in one of the no-draw units in Montana about 5 years ago (above Big Sky). But I figured I'd no sooner get to the area where sheep are before the 1 or 2 tags were filled by rifles.

I do have a beautiful stone sheep Rinehart target on the 3-D range I put up in the woods and rocks behind my house. My wife told me to cut him off at the shoulders and hang it above the fireplace!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
You could get lucky.  My brother drew in South Dakota after only 3 years, pure luck.  Odds were something like 1:2000.  Could happen to you, or me, or anyone else!  Can't win if you don't play!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
"I thought about hunting in one of the no-draw units in Montana about 5 years ago (above Big Sky). But I figured I'd no sooner get to the area where sheep are before the 1 or 2 tags were filled by rifles."

There is a 10 day bow season before the gun season opens.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
You can't draw unless you apply.......so you might as well start....ya never know.

I started applying when I lived in Colorado. Applied in MT as well.  After about 10 years, I just gave up, figuring that it would be another 5 to 10 years before I drew.  Once I moved away from CO, the amount of money to lay out every year for those two states got a bit out of hand.

Like Larry, I did quite a bit of stalking in one of CO's better archery-only units with a camera back in the 80s.  I got a lot of satisfaction out of it.......but it's not quite the same.

Best of luck to you........start getting those preference points built up (or hit powerball!).
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
a friend just drew this year in Idaho. Took him 20yrs , last week killed a nice ram. Good luck

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
So how is it Fred Eichler,  Rick Duggen, Chuck Adams...etc and all the other well known "super slam" type folks seem to be able to beat the odds and draw a tag?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I have been putting in since 1991, I put in every year thinking this might be the year, not yet.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
So how is it Fred Eichler,  Rick Duggen and all these other well known "super slam" type folks seem to be able to beat the odds and draw a tag?
Excellent question......  :dunno:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
not only just bighorn , but all the sub- species also.

How did they get drawn for all those?  Doesn't seem possible to me.

Not in one lifetime.

Congrats to them, but just seems odd.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I think Fred drew a bighorn ewe tag, much easier as said earlier. The other three sheep hunts can be bought. I don't know about the other guys, but some guys have a lot of luck. I have one friend in UT draw the first RM Bighorn tag offered here, then draw a desert tag because we was able to keep at the max points and eventually draw. You definitley have to play the game if you even want a chance.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Yep, one guy tries for 40 years and loses his dream and another wakes up one day and says "I think I'll go sheep hunting this year" and the next thing you know he's on top of the world. Go figure.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Regarding the "celebs" who get tags. I certainly don't know any of their situations. They could have gotten lucky or they could have acquired (sponsors, etc.) Governor or Commission tags. They could have bought tags in auctions, etc.

Having retired from a Wildlife Agency career I'm pretty certain there are no shanigans going on.  It would be the highest of foolishness for an agency to destroy public confidence for the agency by subverting the drawing process.

I remember about 15 years ago a high level politico asked me for special attention during the drawing for a quota deer permit. I told I couldn't and wouldn't do it. I advised if I were made to do it I would be asked if we ever "cheated".  I told the politico I wouldn't lie for him - I would give the truth with names, etc. if asked. He declined to apply for the hunt.

In fact, even though there was no law against it, I refused to even apply for a KY Elk permit until after I retired in 2007. I didn't want anyone thinking me dishonest if had drawn one. Ironic as I was the director of that restoration effort.  I've applied every year since -- I figure 51 more years and I'll draw a KY elk tag!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I may be wrong but I think you can get a tag in Canada (BC, Alberta) for a Bighorn easier than stateside.  Cost of the hunt is more though.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Rick Duggan hunted for 7 years straight as a Colorado resident when the tags were over the counter.  Nobody wanted to go thru all the effort to hunt the sheep back then.

I do not believe there has ever been a legally taken sheep by bow in the MT unlimited units.  They are VERY tough units.

It is too bad jealous people have to run down guys that have worked extremely hard to make a good living and afford to do the things they love.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©