3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Grizzlies and Other Stuff  (Read 569 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Grizzlies and Other Stuff
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
This has come up a lot.I'm no sharpening genius but have tried several ways and all got them sharp,including the KME knife sharpener,but now I have worked out an almost idiot proof system using the KME broadhead sharpener,a DMT Diasharp diamond hone and an array of different grit wet or dry papers.I can almost close my eyes (not recomended) and get this done.

Before sharpening,I go over the head and file off any burrs left from stamping out the metal.Areas are marked in yellow.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Grizzlies and Other Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
You can feel when it's gone.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I colored the edge with a blue Sharpie,so I can see my progress.Why blue? That is what was in my pocket.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
The Diasharp hone is 3"X8"X 3/8" steel bar with diamond impregnating the top surface.This is a precision hone but the 120 micron is very aggressive but that is needed here as these bevels are way off what they should be.

I have sharpened a bunch lately and they follow fairly closely to the angle of the KME.Not this batch of 6.I measure their angle at 32 dehrees.A far cry from 25.

On most of the newer Grizzlies I have done,a 220 hone would work.

The holder is nice to have too.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Clamping the broadhead.I want a repeatable clamp so I put the rear of the broadhead blade at the edge of the clamp and the point of the clamp at the tip of the broadhead's ferrule.The blade edge should be parallel with the rear edge of the clamp.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Before I do any bevel sharpening,I lay the flat back of the blade on the hone and and pull it along to true uo that back surface.I just propped it there for the picture but I press the blade down with two fingers of my left had and pull the KME with my right.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Some uneveness was removed.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm not showing the KME in action but this is it,flipped over to show the work of the first few strokes.These are going to take more work than normal.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
The bevel is developing but has a ways to go.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Now the bevel id developed clear the the edge.That took some agressive honing and an agressive stone.It took about 10 minutes which is at least twice that of the last bunch I did.The hard part is over.It goes quickly from here.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
While the camera wasn't looking,I cheated.I have a 220 diamond hone and a 325.I gave several strokes on each and now am going to wet or dry sandpaper in a variety of grits from 400 to 2000.You could start with one 220 diamond hone or no hone at all and use 120-220 grit papers on a hard,true surface and go through grits as fine as you like.I cut my papers to lay on the steel hone.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
So the KME are riding on the block on the counter?  And moving point first toward you lengthwise on the stone?

These are great pics for a guy like me that only does 3 blades.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I just raise the front of my hone and pinch the front of the paper under it.I pull the rear of the paper taut with my left hand and work the KME with my right.This goes very quickly.You just need several strokes with each grit now.After stroking the bevel,I flip it over and draw the flat back a couple times,then go on to the next grit and repeat.

You don't need or want much pressure,going through these papers and even less as you get finer.You have developed a fine little burr along the edge and it goes back and forth as you hone the bevel and then the flat back of the blade.Hopefully you work it off during the 2000 grit stage.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Nice little tutorial. Thanks for sharing your photos and comments. Should come in handy.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
No Stevo,I just propped it on the block so I could put 2 hands on the camera.I hold the blade flat to the stone with my left,feeling the contact and draw the fixture with my right.The would block isn't used.

I took this one to the 2000 grit stage and the burr came off pretty well.I sometimes strop with cardbord at this point.Here is the finished edge.

I have also sharpened double bevel two blades like the STOS using almost the same technique.The difference is,you sharpen one bevel,swivel the clamp,sharpen the other side bevel,then move to the next grit.The results are the same.The KME and a good,flat honing surface keep a tremendous consistency and it is repeatable.It keeps me from screwing up and I need that.

My apologies to moderators.I probably put this in the wrong section but didn't think about it till part way through.I may get a call and have to run out so have been fighting the clock a little,getting this up.I hope you can move it to the appropriate place if need be.Thanks.

If I have to run,I will try to get back if there are any questions on anything I may have skipped over.Be careful with these.They will cut.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks Jim! Great how to  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that I measured my finished angle at 27 degrees.This batch required way more metal to come off and a lot more work than any of the other new grizzlies I have done but the finished product is worth it and resharpening after shooting will be much easier than the first time.The rough part is getting that bevel straightened out.Some of the more expensive single bevels like Abowyers have a much more refined edge and should go a lot quicker.

I did neglect to weigh this head before starting.This batch ran heavy at 212 grs to 216 grs because the 32 degree bevel just didn't take off as much metal as others I bought.After sharpening one side and removing a lot of metal,this one still weighed 208 grs.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
So how long did one head take?
Tom

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
:campfire:
US ARMY 1984-1988