3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still a Neophyte... What do you think of this stand location?  (Read 342 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Still a Neophyte... What do you think of this stand location?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to get some input... I am super busy with work and have very few days to actually get out there, so it is pretty important to me to have full confidence in my positioning.  So...

Give me your opinions here:

The stand is in a moderately pressured area (3-4 guys on 300-400 acres), but I am deeper in than most seem to want to go.  I am about 50-75 yds from 2 huge fields and 40-50 yds from the actual water.  I am located on what appears to be a huge hub of travel.  There is evidence of deer walking from the fields into the woods down a 'logging road' (the photo from Google Earth below predates the cutting of one field and the logging road) that comes to a small opening, about 30-40 yds in diameter.  This opening is at the top of a geographic hill where the bottom is the right on the water's edge.  There are at least 4-5 trails (including the logging road) coming into this hub and one major funnel trail that has well matted grass leading into some very thick vegatation and hardwoods.  I am set up in this hub, 10 yds off, with good cover just on the edge of where the 'funnel' trail is.  I have not seen deer use this before, but have never hunted the spot either.  They bed on the edge of the fields (see photo).  

What do you think? Also, I think it goes without saying that I am kinda putting my faith in everyone here giving my stand location away... I put a lot of hard work into picking it... but I am still new to this...

IF there are other CT hunters interested, I have been all over in there and can direct you to several good spots other than mine   :)  

God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still a Neophyte... What do you think of this stand location?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
If you are seeing signs of consistent deer movement upwind of your stand and you can get to and from your stand without the deer catching your scent, then it is just a matter of time before you put venison in the freezer. Just put in the time and be patient. Trust what you have done so far.
Best of luck to you.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Is that a crop field on the edge of the bedding area? If so I would have a stand on the other side of it to cut them off going to the swamp for water and cover.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Just make sure you can get access to the stands without bumping deer, or leaving a scent trail.
Mel Riley

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Mysticguido

It is not.  The field is full of long grass, thorns, and other weeds.  It has no clover nor crops in it.  Basically, its an abandoned field.  They eat mostly the acorns and shrubs in the hardwoods.  Plenty of oaks in there.  

Smokin Joe,

The thermals tend to come off the water but shift going up the hill.  They are somewhat unpredictable, but more often than not, I think I will be upwind.  One thing is for certain, the thermals are going to push my scent up no matter where they go due to the hill.  And the water/air temp.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
OK, Then I would move the stand closer to what looks like a stream that is to the East of your stand PIN location.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Those 3 fields just below your stand site form (sort of) an arrowhead. The "point", closest to the water, is an inside corner. That should have a pretty good trail around it as well.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Tom, I checked that spot out late last season and found good activity in the fields, but not much in the woods.  That is a tricky spot to get into, but I could do it.  Hmmm... I think you might be on to something, but I do not have a tree set up and will have to do that in the dark... maybe I will go set it up on Sunday... I think you are really on to something there I did not consider.

I am hoping that being inside on a funnel from bedding to food and bedding to water will work out for me.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
That's also getting close to houses... but still public land!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I also would be closer to the fork in the stream if you have good trails near there as well as an acorn drop in the area.  Good Luck

Ganzer

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
No clue, the prevailing wind is not mentioned! Also if ya have 3 to 400 acres why would ya not have 50 stand sites. I hunt a 137 acre piece and I have 32 stands up and ready and 10 more on stand by in case I see movement my first choices do not cover. Also 3or 4 guys should be minimal pressure on that type of acreage ecsp. bow hunters!! Clean in and clean out the deer should remain pretty much on their normal pattern. I know ya said you do not have a lot of time but 1 stand really can limit the time ya spend there, what if the wind is bad everytime ya can hunt. If the area is that good go in and hang at least 2 more stands within 100 yards of that one so ya can hunt most wind directions! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Those 3 fields just below your stand site form (sort of) an arrowhead. The "point", closest to the water, is an inside corner. That should have a pretty good trail around it as well.
+1  there should be a heavy trail near there...

I also like the are where the two streams meet and form into one... Depending on size there usually will be two smal crossings before they join or one after the junction... I also like that slope to the west of the field...

if there were crops or is the deer bed down in the field during the rut time frame, I bet a buck or two may use the thin strips of woods to scent check the does that bed down in the grass waiting for the warming rays of the sun...

Akerns, fields, woods, streams swamps and a river... what more could you ask fer? I know some old timers who swear big bucks always have wet feet... But your deer are different than these GA deer
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Wind ,wind,wind, it's like the reality motto location ,location, location. This is how you learn ,look for active trails and sign of feeding. If you have one stand make sure it's a climber, scout ever chance you get even going to and from your spot. Go slow and look for anything that will give you a clue as whats going on with the deer.As you learn more about the area take notes on weather ,deer movement and sightings and the wind. Best of luck and have fun!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
Of course that's the trouble with the good sign - being able to hunt it! I live on an inside corner and they are a pinch point (of sorts) With tall grass,etc. in that field it's a bit different than a more open cropped field, but still good movement through the general area.
I noticed the buildings, but felt they may be more of a problem (not unsolvable) for you than the deer.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice gents!

I hunted the stand yesterday... I should clarify... I use a tree saddle.  Its easy in, easy up and allows me to adjust with the wind.  I got in about an hour before light, got into the tree and was ready to go.  I did not see any deer... I think I smelled one... in the very very twilight of the AM... but no movement.  Here is what I observed.  The acorns dropped all around this position.  Of course I am hunting a hub from the deeper woods leading to the one (mostly dried up) active stream... we are short on water in CT right now.  There were at least 3-4 coyotes running all over.  Never presented a shot, but they got as close as maybe 20 yds in the dark.  The winds was perfect, blowing from the field into the swamp... always in my face.  It shifted a little, but never directly to my back.  It was super quiet, no wind, and the ground was wet.  Still, no luck...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Stick with it, you'll do fine .Sounds like your on the right track!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©