3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who uses tobacco  (Read 724 times)

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
who uses tobacco
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
i heard a bunch of ol timers who smoke said theyve had deer come down wind will smoking,and snuff users say theyve had deer lick up their spit..i smoke but try not to while hunting unless it is so unbearible in action,and get figgity.so who smokes and dipps
i like biscuits

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who uses tobacco
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
I chew tobacco and had deer stick there nose right in it. They dont seem to pay any attention to it. I had a squirrell last year get on the bottom of my stick ladder and lick every bit of the juice off the bottom steps. He was there for 15 minutes cleaning it up. Smoking may be different.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I used to do both here and there and never noticed any ill effects on deer. I believe deer are wary of human odor, not burning tobacco leaves, exhuast or even gas for that matter. Just my 2.32145 cents.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Critters seem to like the smell of my pipe tobacco(Borkum Riff rum).
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Been smoking on the stand for years. Had a buck come in while smoking put it down on the ground shot the buck and finished the smoke after he ran off.
Read articles that encourage standing in the camp fire smoke if you are not able to shower or clean up to get rid of human smell.
However I always pack out the butts.

Offline Nate N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
i love me some skoal and like what was said above have had deer come right in and investigate my spit.
Robertson Purist 62" 75#@28
OMP Adirondack Hunter Deluxe 68" 50 @ 28

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Used to smoke and chew and my bride told me to quit so I did.

I do know that deer like the taste of tobacco as my buddys pet deer was on the wrong side of a road and I used a cigarette to feed him back across the road.  He gobbled up two smokes and ran off.

that was back in the 70's.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Quit in the 80's, when Fred Bear started hauling around an oxygen tank, probably had something to do with his pipe habit. I realize it has nothing to do with bowhunting, but thought I'd kick the habit, and stop smelling like a cigarette walking around the woods.
 :knothead:    "[dntthnk]"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I chew durning deer season to help pass the time and then quit in dec or jan which can be a bear for about a week. I realy dont need it to hunt but there is just something cozy to me about having a dip every once in while while hunting. I have had to spit a few time when deer where in close and didnt enjoy that much. They never spooked to the smell that I know of any way, wonder if any big buck caught me moving to spit and I never know it???
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Cigarette-chomping pet deer.  I was going to guess that was in the 70's.

Offline OutbackMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I chew...and swallow (but only while chewing...I don't want that statement to be misinterpreted  :D   )

When done I always put the chew on a branch up above my head and then pack out w/my lunch/snack trash...Never seemed to have had an issue, but not sure if any mega bucks just never came into sight because of it...
N.R.A. Life Member
N.A.H.C. Life Member
Buckeye Big Buck Club Member

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Skoal man since I was a kid, never seemed to have a problem in the woods....

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I had a 150 class 8 pointer come straight into a stream of pipe smoke.  Problem was that metal handled knuckle freezing machine was hanging on a branch out of my reach.  Then the area dominant buck, a monster, came to with in ten yards of me on the up wind side. One nice buck within ten feet sharing my pipe and the dominant monster less than ten yards away, and there I was sitting on a rock in the sun smoking my Caminneto pipe and Balkan Sobrainie tobacco and my finger freezer machine was six feet away.  Keep your bow & arrow handy when you light up no matter where and when you decide to do it, because you just never know.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
The last 2 big bucks i killed i was smoking and had to put my cig out before i shot them.

Im looking at both of them as i type this, both bucks were upwind of me when i shot them.

I have a buddy who smokes over 3 packs a day and he kills several nice bucks every year and you can smell him 50yds if your downwind of him.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I used to dip and never had a problem with it spooking deer.  My uncle dipped as well and I have actually saw a small 8 point come to the bottom of his tree and like the spit.  As for smoking, if I'm not mistaken doesn't Terry smoke cigars while hunting?

Offline Beezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
I have chewed both leaf tobacco and finely ground tobacco for years while hunting and can't attribute any negative outcomes from it.
I located a tresspasser once due to him smoking cigarettes while hunting...you could smell it a mile away. Modern science tells me that if I could smell it so could the deer, but can't attest to the scent either bringin' 'em in or spookin' 'em away. I just know that my spitting on the ground has zero chance of setting dry leaves or grass on fire...so that's the route I go.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Been dipping while in the stand for over 30+ years. It seems to have no effect and I harvest at least 5 deer every year.

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
i dip while i hunt ,behind the house ,i grew up in them woods ,the deer are use to it.heck they have some now that you can hunt over ,berry flavor,peach ,mint,citrus ,the stuff smells good.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I don't think the animals are so much afraid of smells that are unfamiliar as much as they are afraid of smells that they associate with danger.  Notice a fawn the first time it catches your scent?  It doesn't run it tries to figure out what you are.  Mama teaches it to be scared of that smell, she knows it's dangerous.

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Had an uncle who smoked cigars while hunting and he killed more deer than any of us.  Once he had on his car radio listening to the Geogia - Florida game, smoking a cigar and big buck came out on him.  Several bow hunting friends dipped and no ill effects on their hunting.  We had several pet deer raised from fawns and they would eat tobacco in any form.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©