3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who uses tobacco  (Read 725 times)

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who uses tobacco
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I yoosta let the deers lick my ashtrays clean back when I smoked but it made their breaths smell just horrid rotten, worse than mouldy potaters, more like dog-doo, yeck, by golly.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I was told it is not the smoke that spooks deer they pick up on arm movement if you are taking cig out of your mouth.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
I've smoked and used chew in the stand without any problems. But the best one was a friend of mine left his coffee sitting at the base of the tree he was in. A spike buck came in knocked the cup over and drank the coffee. He used his phone to video this event.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
my hunting budy and his hunting wife both use there "cigar cover scent". they roll up the windows and smoke while driving to there hunting spots. They only bowhunt and he kills 10-12 deer a year. so it works for them. I have completly quit using the scent away sprays since seeing this and it has had NO affect on the amount of deer I see and shoot at. I still use a no scent detergeant when washing my clothes but that is for allergy reasons.

Every once in a while I enjoy a pouch of old levy during hunting season and have never seen any ill affects on the wildlife.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
maybe one or two of dads deer were shot when he DIDNT have a cigar/cigarette in his mouth.

I think smoke doesn't scare them no matter what kind of smoke it is. But I don't like to smell like gasoline/kerosene, I think that scares them, so if I get some kerosene on my hands while filling up the heater or gas when fillin up the truck I spray down, but most of the time I only spray when I remember . . .
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
My Dad use to like to hunt out of cherry trees that way he could have a cigarette holder when he had to draw on a deer.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Couple of years back I was setting up a fixed tree stand and smoking a cigar, It is a metal stand with a chain that goes around the tree, so I was making plenty of noise. I look down and there are does standing about five yards from my tree. The best part of it was what spooked them, it was the white five gallon bucket that I used to carry some stuff in sitting under the tree. They were looking at it and started to stomp their hooves, I just sat there with a big smile on my face at how nature is sometimes beyond our understanding.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Back in the good ol' days I had to put down my pipe of "whacky backy" to shoot a buck. However, he had been shot in the eye the previous year, and shot again in the nose about two weeks earlier with a 30/06. The eye shot took out his eye and a couple of jaw teeth before exiting his mouth.

I caught much ribbing from the guys in the club over that one. He was blind and couldn't smell, either.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I've had a cigar or two in the turkey blind while hunting with buddies, but Ive never used any tobacco while after mammals.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
nuttin like a shot of skoal juice to the eye of a running elk to slow em up long enough for a shot.  :D    :laughing:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I have watched several gun huntes put down their cigarettes to shoot a deer that came in to them.  Shots were close.  

My buddy and I were sitting on a log in the woods one December,  worries on our minds and talking softly about the problen,  smoking cigars and a whole herd came past us, upwind, down wind and cross wind.  None of them cared.
ChuckC

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Tobacco is bad for you fella's...!

Just messing around, I chew while on stand.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I been chewing and dipping for over 30 years. Wish I didn't but never have noticed it spooking any deer. At least not the ones I've seen. Never know, might be a bunch of em I never see because of it. Oh well, can't kill but 5 here anyway and I sure enjoy it.
bolong

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
FUNNY!!! STORY my buddy was archery hunting 2 years ago as he got in his stand he took out his snuff and before he got to open it the can of snuff fell out in front of his stand, about 1 hour before dark a mama and yearling came past his stand the yearling picked the snuff up and starting chewing, the can must have broken and  the deer had it all through its mouth he then said that the deer ran around in circles and was snorting for about 15 mins HA HA he said he laughed so hard he about feel out of the tree.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I would NEVER chew while in a stand.
 Only because I am a wussbag and would puke and fall out! Whatever makes your hunt more enjoyable my friend. If "not" smoking or chewing makes you miserable, have at it!
David M. Conroy

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Chew or coffee ? .... surely this is baiting !    :bigsmyl:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I rub snuff, I have mixed feelings about it spooking deer.  I am not sure, so I try not to spit on the ground.  Sent control is important to me, but I also know for sure there is no way to be completely sent free.  

I have been busted with a rub in, and also without one in.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I quit dipping.  Life is good without snuff.  Don't know about it spooking game, but the movement of taking the cig out of your mouth or spitting might get you busted by a whitetail.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I too have had deer come in a lick the snuff spit at the bottom of a treestand...  Never seemed to bother deer.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
spit on a does ear one time as she walked under me.  another doe came over and licked it off.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©