3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur vs Centaur  (Read 735 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Centaur vs Centaur
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I've been wanting to do this comparison for a while. I have two Centaurs, both 60", 48@28, drawn to 30". The first is one of Jim's Glass bows, Cocobolo riser with Bamboo cored Yew limbs. The other is one of his new Chimera's, Ruby Charcoal riser with Carbon cores and Carbon and Black Glass limbs. I'll start out by saying that the glass bow is my "Magic Bow". I've never shot a bow that points so well and feels so good. The Chimera is "Smoooooooth" and fast. Went to the club tonite and put a few arrows thru the chronograph just because I was curious. I was suprised by the results. The Glass bow was the winner as far as speed was concerned. 450gr arrow, 53@30, 8.5gr per pound.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur vs Centaur
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
That is pretty nice. I did a check on my Ferguson Patriot by Bear. I was shocked also My bow is 60#@28". I pull just a touch over 28 and I had a avg speed of about 189 fps, with a 540 grain arrow. I see you shoot the GT arrows that is the arrow I use 5575 @ 29.5" bop 5" feathers and 175 grain point with weight behind the point.
USMC 82-86

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Yellow Dog,Them are some nice bow.Are you shooting at Saginaw Field&Stream i used to be a member there.

Chad

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Good stuff! Beautiful bows!

Mike

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Yellow Dog,

Did you chrono that 62' double carbon you have on the classifieds? If so how did it do?

I'm on the wait list for jan'11 and can't decide what to get other than I want a 2-pc...too many decisions.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Chop,

Left that one home, but now you have me thinking. I might just make the 15 minute drive to the club and find out   :dunno:      :dunno:      :dunno:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Tell you what, I have a chrono at home. Just send me the 3 bows and I'll let you know how they compare at 29" with my 650 gr arrows   ;)
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
Chop, made the 15 minute drive and compared the 62" bows. 62" Cocobolo riser with bamboo cored Yew limbs, 44@28. 62" Ruby Charcoal riser Double Carbon, 44@28. Both bows drawn to 30" with a 450gr Goldtip, 48@30. 9.37gr per pound.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:47:00 AM »
So the double carbon was 3fps faster than the all wood bow with no carbon. Makes you wonder about all the carbon hype?

I've only ever shot a double carbon and found it to be dead in the hand. How does it compare to the other one you have.

BTW, I can't believe you ran out there this late...lol That is committment!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
the glass Centaurs were always my favorite!!

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
very nice bows
marlon torres

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
No surprise here.  I have read a few other reports on them, and the glass wood bows are right with or faster than the carbons many times.  I would personally go for a glass bow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • https://centaurarchery.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
That is not an old Double Carbon or the new Carbon Elite. It is a Chimera which means instead of the back of the bow being glass like the belly, it has a layer of carbon. The Chimeras are typically 4 to 5 fps faster than the all glass bows. In this case it is only 3 fps quicker but the yew and bamboo in the glass bow is definetely a winning combo. A 1/2 of a pound difference could also make up for a foot or two difference. So basically the chimera is 4 to 5 fps quicker than the all glass bow of the same draw and poundage and the Carbon Elite is another 3-4 fps quicker than the Chimera. It may not be a ton of difference but for some who want the most efficiency from a bow, it can mean shooting anywhere from 3 to 5# less given the circumstances, and not loosing any performance. Also the engineered carbon limbs are lighter in weight than the glass faced limbs making for an even more "dead in the hand" feel after the shot.

Jim Neaves

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Interesting!

As a matter of curiosity, did you take any notice of penetration or differences in their penetration?

I tend to be very "old skool" and place a higher value on penetration over speed but that's just me.

If you do any more testing would you mind checking it?

I guess to be fair it would almost require an unshot target butt for each bow so it might not be doable.

But please try it anyway! I'd sure be interested in seeing the results.

Thank you!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Jim! Love my Chimera. Definitely a finely crafted bow! Love the grip and it is solid in the hand. No problem holding at target through the shot....and yes, it throws an arrow pretty fast.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Honestly the biggest seller for me on the carbon elite is the dead in the hand feel not the speed although that doesn't hurt. But I just think it doesn't look nearly as good the wood.

I keep vascillating on what I want for my Jan Bow.

The chimera is a compromise, but do I really want to compromise? :help:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I find this thread quite interesting. I beleive there are alot of other variables that figure in. I assume the same grain arrows were used. Both bows should be accurately scaled for weight at the archers draw length. Also to be considered is the limb tip material. Some materials are heavier than others. Which could slow down the forward momentum of the limbs. Then take multiple shots with each bow through the chrono and divide by number of shots for average speed.
I also like bamboo and yew as a killer combo. Even though 4-10 fps doesnt sound like much it will have its benefits in flat shooting and penatration. Thats the name of the game in archery technology to squeeze a little more performance out of a bow.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
The chimera is a compromise, but do I really want to compromise?  
The same here and I will have to make a choice by July.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Get both.

Killdeer   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
I agree with and 100% support Killy's extremely logical answer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©