3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur vs Centaur  (Read 734 times)

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur vs Centaur
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I have had a number of centaurs over the last year and my glass bows seem to shoot faster than the chimera or double carbons! I never chrono'd them but I felt as if the were better and faster shooter! Man I love centaurs!!!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Good idea.  One for looking and the other one for shooting..   :bigsmyl:

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Chop,
 I have owned at least one of each model Jim has made. Chimera's are all I own now. Don't feel I have compromised one little bit. 2fps difference between my Chimera and the Carbon Elite I recently sold at the exact same draw weight. One plus is the handshock between the two is the same... non existent. The bigger plus is the Chimera is a quieter bow than the Elite. No brainer imo the Chimera is the best all around model Jim makes. Doesn't hurt having these beautiful woods staring back at ya instead of black carbon while things are slow while out in the stand... Here's my two Chimera's

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
UPDATE  :saywhat:  Thought I better do a little more "data collecting" concerning my not to "controlled" test. Measured brace and weight with my scale. The 62" bows came in at 46@30 not 48@30 as I had thought, both were braced at 7 3/8. 184fps and 181fps at 9.78gr per pound, thats cooking in my book with a 46# bow  :thumbsup:  Both 60" bows were braced at 7 1/8 and the Glass bow scales at 53@30 as I had thought but the Chimera is actually 51@30 on my scale. Based on my math that would put the speed of the Chimera if it were the same weight as the glass bow at 196fps, 6fps faster than the glass bow. Bottom line is Jim make the BEST longbow out there. Period.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
speed is over-rated

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Not really over-rated, I don't think.  Maybe sometimes over-valued, at the cost of other bow attributes one may desire.  But a fast, quiet, stable, and accurate bow is generally preferable to a merely quiet, stable and accurate bow.  Or it is for me, anyway.  

I love my Chimera.  Prefer it to the all glass I have and the Carbon Elite I had.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Well said MRD. What it comes down to essentially is whether your'e shooting a slower D shape or a top end speed hybrid r/d, the shooter better be able to put it where it counts at the moment of truth, be it shooting at fur or a bullseye !!!   :archer2:  

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Ah naa naaa speed along! is over rated. But two bows that shot dead in the hand and accurately.......give me the speedy one any day!

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm curious.  Do you find the finger grooves in the riser helpful when hunting in the cold with gloves on?

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I like the groove with or without the gloves.  I only use the the first 2 groove because of the way I shoot,  GFA Style with my ring finger curled against the riser. If you get stippling, shooting this way will leave a blister on that finger.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Joe the finger grooves are a big help with gloves especially if damp or wet. The stippling is also nice and you always have a good solid grip on the bow.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!!

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©