3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: right wing,left wing helical does it matter?  (Read 538 times)

Offline southernshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
right wing,left wing helical does it matter?
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm currently shooting left wing helical out of a right hand bow. Is there differnce between the two or is it a personal preference. Lately I've been getting consistent groupings at 22yds,but sometimes my grouping goes hoizontal to the vertcal plane. For example: at 22yds I was aiming for a small taget and released. The arrow impacted approximatelty 3-4 inches to the right of where I was aiming. I regrouped and shot another volley of three identical arrows. Same result. A nice close group just outside my intended target. I'm right handed shooter. Could I be plucking the strings? All shooting is done instictive and at anchor I pause for 1-2 seconds. Any welp with coaching would greatly be appreciated.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: right wing,left wing helical does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Personal Preference just don't mix them on an arrow.

I shoot left wing helical and am right handed.  Only reason is because they were on sale.

As far as your shots it could be a form issue or it could be a spine issue.  Your arrows may be weak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
What is your bow set up, arrowsize, arrow length, head weight, actual draw length, any additional weight added to your arrow and string type?

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
right wing helical for hunting in the northern hemisphere and left wing for the southern hemisphere. Its just basic plumbing.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
I fletch and use both RW and LW,it doesn't matter.I'm RH and when I shoot RW I shoot cock feather in if I can't rotate the nock for best clearence.

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Make sure if you ever decide to try single bevel broadheads such as the grizzlys you buy the left bevel for left helical or right bevel for right helical. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline southernshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 60" Shrew Scout recurve that is 55lbs @28, Thr arrows are 65-70 spine tapered cedars @29 iches with 125 grain field tips.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
It looks like you are a little under-spined. Shorten your arrwos with an inch or get one spine value higher with your arrows.
Take a look at Stu Millers dynamic spincecalculator.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Like everyone else said, it doesn't matter if you go with right or left wing feathers. I'm right handed and I use right wing feathers for the simply reason when I started shooting arrows with my recurve, the bow shop where I went had tons of right wing feathers. Picked up a few, the arrows flew great and I've been buying right wing feathers ever since.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I shoot lefts, only because I'm more likely to get a feather cut on my bow hand with rights. Lefts are more abundant, because turkeys have the left wing clipped to keep them in the pen.

Left or right has no effect on the arrow flight unless the fletching is hitting the bow as it passes.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Another thing to remember is that arrows are spined at 28 inches so if yours are cut to 29" they are actually weaker than 65-70.  Also are you drawing the full 28"?  Clip a clothespin on your shaft and draw your bow, the clothespin should slide down as you draw.  Then measure from the valley of your nock to the back of the clothespin.  if you're only drawing 26 instead of 28 you'll only pull around 49#, but if you're pulling past the 28" you'll be pulling more weight.  Which in turn affects what spine you need.

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
It doesn't matter unless your using single bevel heads.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I thought it had to do with what political party you belonged to?
David M. Conroy

Online Timbuck2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I've shot them both over the years and settled in shooting right wing. LW or RW..didn't see that much difference in the way they shot for me.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
It only matters if you mix them on the same arrow - which includes using a single bevel broadhead that doesn't match your fletching.  People used to think that right handers should shoot left wing and left handers should shot right wing, but then Easton did some high speed video that shows the rotation begins only after the arrow is well off the shelf/rest and headed down range, so it really makes no difference - again, just be consistent on any given arrow.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Southernshooter, have you tried bareshafting or shooting broadheads to see how they hit in comparison to your field points.  If your field points are hitting to the right, you could be shooting a too weak of a shaft.  Bareshafting or shooting broadheads will really reveal whether they're too weak or not.

Offline southernshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help. Using a wood clothespin, my draw is actually 28 1/8. I thought the arrows were 29". I measured the arrows from the nock valley to the end of the field tip and came up with 30 1/2". From the nock valley to the end of the bare shaft is 30". Would you suggest shortening the arrows to 29" to increase spine? I have not tried bareshafting as of yet nor have I shot broadheads. The arrows with 125 grain field tips weigh 579 grains.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I think you are underspined on your shafts.  As far as cutting them, thats your decision.  once you cut them you can't add it back on.  If you do decide to cut I would try 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time.  You can try this link to the spine calculator and put your info in and see where you need to be with your set up.

http://heilakka.com/stumiller/

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I'm RH and I've shot RW and LW feathers, makes no difference in accuracy for me. I get good clearance with either one on my Bear Grizzly. I recently bought a bunch of RW full length feathers and started cutting my own, they fly awesome. I just prefer to fletch RW because it's what I'm used to and I do a better job at it, so I see no reason to use LW if it's just a pain in the booty for me to use them.
Only reason I tried the LW feathers was because they were given to me and I ended up cutting them all back off and re-fletching with RW.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
What Don said.  I was shooting right wing fletches with the old Bear, which has a significant center-cut and shelf.  When I got the long-bow, the same arrows wore a groove in my bow-hand knuckle.  i asked the bowyer, Steve Turay, about it.  He suggested switching to left wing feathers.  I did so and the problem was gone (I shoot right handed.)
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©