3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Redman Longbow  (Read 1013 times)

Offline JoeHorvath

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Redman Longbow
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
In January of this year I started archery at the ripe age of 59. I purchased a Howard Hill Redman longbow. 45#, used from the Footed Shaft in Rochester MN. I origially bought some aluminum arrows, the easton chart and archer stores  saying I needed 2016's. The spines were too stiff though. I had the good fortune of hearing about Jim Curlee, of Pine Island MN. I visited him from my home in the Twin Cities. Jim had me shoot fletchless arrows, stood behind me and watched their flight at different spine weights. He found the right weight then built the arrows, givng me all kinds of pointers as well. The arrows are amazing. They fly straight and true. I've been shooting targets for about 7 months now and am ready to start hunting. Turkey and Deer. So I need as much advice as I can get. I need to know the best broadheads to get for my arrows. Cedear arrows, 27.5 inches BOP. 35-39 spine, 320-330gr. My draw length is 26 inches. I am a marine corps Viet Nam veteran. The only thing I've hunted in my life are human beings. Looking forward to hunting. Live in the Twin Cities MN. Anyone want to give advice to an old Vet, I'm all ears.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Redman Longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I'd love to see a pic of it.I love Hill bows.Congrats.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Joe thanks for your military service. Its because of people like you that we as Americans can enjoy the freedoms we have.
Congratulations on a great bow and finding a new passion in your life. My little advice would be to read as much as you can about the game you are hunting finding out thier habits i.e. food sources and their nature. Then go out there and do it. Learn good woodsmanship and keep shootin straight. Above all have fun at it. I wish you much success. Good luck and good huntin...Dave
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Hi Joe, first thank you for serving our country.

Coming off of a shoulder injury I recently built a Hill style longbow that is 42 pounds @ my draw. I love shooting it and it is my small game and turkey bow this Fall as my deer season is over. I will be shooting our 3-blade single bevel Phoenix broadheads. I am confident that they would work for you on deer and turkey as would many other fine broadheads you will find from sponsors here. If you would like to try them shoot me a PM.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Joe you didn't say what size and weight field points you are shooting. I have always shot the 125gr snuffers and have had success with them. Anyway my advice is to try to match the weights of the broadhead to the field points so hopefully they will fly good.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Most of the 125g 2 blades are a good pick, zwickey eskimo 125's, STOS 130g's, Magnus II 125's, all perfectly fine for "broadside" deer size game.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I always recommend Zwickee Eskimoes to those shooting lighter weight bows and for those that are new to archery. They generally fly perfect, have great penetration and are very easy to sharpen and keep sharp. We have some in our group that use them even at fairly high poundages with excellent results and my wife prefers them to anything else.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
From one veteran to another... thank you!

I am partial to my Howard Hill Redman "Chief".. great shooting bow!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JoeHorvath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Hi cbCrow, I'm shooting 125's. Thanks for the advice

Offline JoeHorvath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Hi Pavan, thanks, I'm getting lots of postive feedback on the Zwickey's.

Joe

Offline JoeHorvath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks Mudd, thanks for you service as well. I grew up in St.Louis. Spent lots of time camping, canooing, all over Missouri. I'm shooting my Howard Hill several times a week since February. Getting to feel very comfortable.

Joe

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
I use a Hill yew model myself, one tillered from a Hill blank.  I had others that I have given away.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
I've gotta also say that the simple two blade heads like Zwickey, Magnus, Ace etc are the only way to go.  With your moderately low draw weight, you will want every advantage possible when it comes to getting the most penetration out of your setup.

I'd even think about going up a spine group to 40-45 and trying something like a 160 grain head to boost overall arrow weight.  However, don't feel like I'm saying your setup is too light because it's not.  You will have to be careful about shot placement and be sure of your ability but within proper self imposed limits, you should be able to get full penetration even if you hit a rib or two.

Your setup is virtually identical to what my oldest kid will be shooting this year and I want her to limit her range and pick her shots carefully.  I'm hoping her arrows will end up around 400 grains when done but I don't know for sure yet as I'm still building her "new" set.  Her old ones were about that but these are different wood.

By the way, good luck to ya!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »
Those Redman bows are really nice. Good luck!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
I had a Redman they are great bows, if your shafts are 5/16 like the ones I shoot out of my hill you may want to try some Zwickey Black Diamonds, they have a 5/16 feral and weigh 115 gr. They come in two or four blade if your draw weight is under the 45 pounds I would use the two blade if at the 45 you can get away with the four blade, I have killed several deer with them at that weight. I have also killed many deer with the two blade version. Good luck and thank you for your service to our country.

Jim
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Hey Marine - thanks for your service!  A Vietnam Marine runs a outdoor shop relatively close to us and my son and I make it a point to do as much business with him as we can.  You guys are bad to the bone!

My HH Halfbreed (60@29) throws my Carbon Express Heritage 250s tipped with 125 grain Magnus 2 blade screw ins pretty well.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your bow and of any game you take.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I have 6 brand new Zwickey 5/16 - 115grn BH's, there all yours if ya want'em....pm me your address

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Montauks you're the best!

Thank you for your willingness to step up and give.

It's a real honor to share this cyber space with you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Mudd, I've had them a few years now, won'em at the "Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt" just lookin to pass them along to someone that could use'em.
Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline JoeHorvath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
to Dave Bulla and Stone knife, great advice, thanks. Dave, I like the idea of going to 40-45 with the 160 grain head. Makes a lot of sense. Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©