3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which style broadhead  (Read 375 times)

Offline lee77spit

• Trad Bowhunter
which style broadhead
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Just got 6 new arrows ready for deer season but need advice about broadheads. The arrows are 27 1/4 inch from back of point to nock tapered cedar with 4 left helical 4 inch feathers. They weigh 525 to 550 grains with 160 grain field point, and 45 to 50 spine. Will it mater which style point I use? 2 blade 3 blade or 4 blade. or will they all give the same flight? Any help would be helpful. I am new (again) to trad bows and haven't made any hunting arrows before. thanks
Dick Lee
Northern Mi

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which style broadhead
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I have only been at this a couple years but I have found that for me a two blade flys better.  Plus I feel you get better penetration and that is a huge plus to me.  I have taken whitetail with both with similar shot placement at similar yardage and the two blade made an exit while the three blade did not.  I recovered them in the same distance but it was a lot easier to find the one with the exit.  Never tried a four blade.  I would try them all and see what feels best to you.  IMO confidence is more important than anything else.
JT

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Since I shoot low poundage bows, I prefer a 2 blade broadhead.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
You should be able to achieve very good flight with either head. If you have a preference I would go with that because if you go against what appeals to you it will bug you every time you have a miss. You will wonder if that would have happened if you had taken your first choice. If you are hunting black bear,deer or hogs either head is fine for penetration. Just ask all the folks here if they would use a snuffer or woodsman on these animals. I have used both and have had complete penetration with both. Some will even tell you if you can get 12-16" of penetration that is enough and it is a good point a arrow that remains in the animal continues to do damage everytime the animal moves. If you have a pass thru and don't hit a major organ or vessel there will be minimal blood trail as well. Good luck in your choice.
USMC 82-86

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I would go with the broadhead that fly the best for you and your set-up and the one that YOU can get the sharpest!  Like stated above, confidence in what you are using goes a long,long way. If you would like to try out a 160 grain Ace Standard (2 blade), drop me a PM.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Ditto with the others, but i would add, wichdo you feel you sharpen better, a 2 blade a 3 blade, a single bevel etc?  It has to fly straight and go where you aim.  Also, you have to get it real sharp.  In my opinion, a Zwicky, Magnus or Stos sharpen easily and penetrate real well.

Good Luck!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
I use the 2 blade magnus or stos because I can sharpen them. I also have gotten better penetration with the 2 blade since I shoot bows in the 45 to 50 pound range

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
I would definitely use a single bevel is you use a 2 blade. Of and I recommend a two blade with a long narro wprofile for maximizing penetration.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I shoot a low poundage bow (48 @ 29) and prefer 2 blade heads, Ace standards actually. The right 3 blade can be easier to sharpen, but a good 2 blade sharpens well itself. I agree with most above, use what you can sharpen well and shoot well. The broadhead will take care of itself when it matters most, make it sharp and pop those lungs!

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I definitely like the Magnus 2 blade..  :archer2:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
Always shot simple two blade, no reason to change. Whitetails, elk, hogs, black bears, bison, red stag, coyotes, turkey, small game....not a problem yet. I like to think the less chance of snagging up on something the better, so I keep it to just a thin two blade. Never had a problem with bloodtrailing either. A good shot leaves a heavy trail, even in long haired game.
Zwickey, magnus and STOS, for me, but I'm sure any of the quality brands will do fine.
SCHunter has it on the head though, you should really shoot what makes you feel the most confident.
David M. Conroy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Magnus Snuffers 160 grn..

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
2 blade , easy to sharpen and they work.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Take a look at VPA testimonials!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
2-blade only here for 30+ years. I have my reasons. 3 & 4 blade heads work just fine if sharp & properly positioned through the animal.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I've been shooting Zwickey 4 bladed Black Diamond Deltas since way back in the 60's as i recall.  Until then, I shot the Bear Razorhead.

I have no problem sharpening the 4- bladers, and think I get better penetration and better blood trail with a 4-blade.  I shoot a 57 pound recurve and 2117 shafts.  IMO, a sharp 4 blader is better than 2 or 3 blades.  However, that is why there is such a wide selection, everyone has an opinion.  Best scenario is for you to try a few different ones and see how they fly for you, and then decide for yourself.

Joe

Joe

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Magnus 2 blade broadheads is what i recommend and they will not let you down.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline lee77spit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help . I have decided to try the Stos 2 blade. I should be able to sharpen them with no trouble. If I can get them to fly where I point them I'll be happy, can experiment with other blade next spring when I have more time before hunting season. Again thanks for all the help.
Dick Lee
Northern Mi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©