3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting arrow weight?  (Read 321 times)

Offline upnorthbacon

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting arrow weight?
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Long time bowhunter and just starting out traditional.  I bought a 68" Kohannah longbow pulling 62lbs at 28" but my draw length is 29" so I'm guessing another pound or two in weight.  I'm shooting three fingers under from the shelf.  I'm shooting 31" Blackhawk Vapor Carbonwood arrows.  The arrows came with the bow and the website info states they are .350 spine and 9.9gr per inch.  They are the 4000 series.  I'm shooting 125gr two blade magnus broadheads.  I see a lot of people using 145gr heads as well as extra wieghts.  I'm limiting myself to 15yds at a whitetail.  The arrows fly great, I haven't paper tuned but there's no "kick" whatsoever.  I'm just wanting to make sure I'm going to get good penetration with this setup?  Thanks!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting arrow weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
If you use 5" feathers and a normal insert and the 125 grain head you mentioned plus your nock that gives you arrow around 480 grains. 480 grain arrow with a bow that is about 64-65# that gives you about 7.4 grains per pound. 10 grains per pound is about standard. Others may be able to help here. Good luck
USMC 82-86

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Yes, I'm showing 480 grains also. Though lower than the standard grains per pound of draw weight, I'm sure you will be fine.  Good luck.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
i would bet with a heavier arrow you would have a quieter bow.  Most bowyers recommend around 9 grains per pound for their bows or their warranty is invalidated. Supposedly bad things can happen to your bow if you shoot light arrows on a consistent basis. You bought the bow second hand so that may or may not be a concern to you.
Maybe some of the guys that make their own bows or some of the bowyers on here will see this post and respond as to what some of those bad things are.   :)  
Welcome to tradgang.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline upnorthbacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks, looks like I can get some arrow tube weights to add some weight.  Would this be ok or should I just invest in new arrows?

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Penetration will not be a problem.

A bit more weight to your arrows will make your shot "feel" better.

Your Carbonwoods, can handle a little more weight where they are, BUT much more and they will have to be trimmed a bit shorter. I`m guessing.

If they are flying good, and the bow is not too loud, don`t worry. Just pick a spot when the time comes.

P.M , me your address, and I`ll send you a few weight tubes to try. It will bump up your arrow weight. It might make your shot feel better.
(they just slide inside the shaft)

Penetration won`t be a problem, but I bet your bow will have a better feel with a heavier arrow.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
As stated above penetration will not be a problem, I shoot completely through whitetails with the same arrow weight at 50#.

Heavier arrows will quite down your bow and you will not see much trajectory difference at 15-20 yards.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
My arrow weighs 424 grains out of a 46# bow at my draw length. Complete pass through yesterday morning.  Sample size of 1 but very convincing for me.

I had been told not to worry the folks here were right on.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I suspect that if you experiment a bit with adding weight and perhaps quite a bit of weight up front on your set-up, heavier inserts and/or point weights you will find you can get a heavier, quieter arrow and still get good flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©