3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Help  (Read 277 times)

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Help
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm new to traditional archery and have found there are far more things to take into consideration when selecting arrows.

I've done my homework and know the proper spine weight and arrow legnth to match my bow. However, I could use some help determining if I should go for carbon or trusty old wood arrows.  

What would you recommend to a beginner?

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
That is really personal preference. I would suggest you find a test kit for carbons and woods if possible shoot both and see which you prefer. I shoot both and like both.
USMC 82-86

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Welcome to traditional archery!  It's addicting, so be careful.  

You won't really know the "proper" arrow setup until you shoot it.  There's a lot of variables like fletch length/style, shaft length, FOC mass/tip weight, shelf construction, etc.  I agree with S.C. Hunter.  Get yourself some test kits to see if your findings are indeed accurate.  Test kits are comparatively cheap.  Best of luck, and again...welcome aboard.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
for a beginer i would suggest carbon or alluminum to start with,for the reason you realy dont know what a good or bad arrow is yet really and consistancy.if your new to trad.if you have some expeirence with it is up to you.
i like biscuits

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Where are you in Virginia? I'd be happy to have you over to the house and run a bunch of arrows through your bow, if your anywhere close to the Valley.

Carbon are very durable, aluminums a bit less so, but for me, wood is the way to go. I'd call 3Rivers and order a test set, then get with someone who can help you tune your setup.

Welcome to madness!

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I'm also in the Valley and have a ton of various alum or carbon to try if you're in this area.
 What weight and draw length are you shooting? B50 or ff string? Modern recurve/longbow or older model? All of these thing will help with determing spine for your bow. Can't help with woodies but if I can help otherewise don't hesitate to contact.
  Enjoy the journey-as others have said it is addictive.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
As stated, it's a prefference thing, just starting I would suggest carbon or aluminum as they are more durable and will withstand misses or glances better.  I tried wood right after I switched to trad and went through more arrows than I wanted to because of this.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Rule out aluminum, it may be consistent but for me does not hold up as well as wood. It bends too easily! I would shoot carbon, I have some of the same Heritage 150s from a dozen that I bought 5 years ago!! I shoot quite a bit as well, so my answer would be carbon first, wood second and I never would shoot aluminum! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
I got a great deal on a custom r/d longbow. It's a 64" Maddog Mutt near 48# at 28". I have a 29" draw. Should have the bow in 2-3 weeks.

This season, I'll hunt with my compound bow, but intend to begin learing trad/instinctive as soon as I can.

I live in the burbs in Winchester, VA and can't shoot in my backyard. Thankfully I have a local indoor range and 3d course nearby.

My next place will have a washer/dryer and a spot in the backyard for my dusty unused arrow target!    :biglaugh:

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dixie Bowman:
I got a great deal on a custom r/d longbow. It's a 64" Maddog Mutt near 48# at 28". I have a 29" draw. Should have the bow in 2-3 weeks.

This season, I'll hunt with my compound bow, but intend to begin learing trad/instinctive as soon as I can.

I live in the burbs in Winchester, VA and can't shoot in my backyard. Thankfully I have a local indoor range and 3d course nearby.

My next place will have a washer/dryer and a spot in the backyard for my dusty unused arrow target!       :biglaugh:    
I know where you're at & what club you more than likely shoot at.
Those Augusta boys will treat ya right my fiend & welcome to the traditional world.

I agree that Aluminums & Carbons are a good bet for a new comer because they are durable & already straight 100% of the time, Aluminums do get bent from time to time but like wood in many cases will come true, Carbons are either straight or broken.

Wood IMHO would be great once the experience of shooting & tuning is learned & experienced by the shooter, tis why I'm still slow on working my cedars & that with 2 lil ones I don't have the time I'd like.    ;)
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I don't have any aluminum or carbons in the arrow bucket, but if ya find yourself down this way, be sure to give me a holler. I have some wood arrows that'll shoot out of that setup just fine.

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm not in a club, but would consider one.  

I use the range at Gander Mtn if I'm pressed for time.

The other place I go is Nail's archery. They have a nice little 3d course.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
If you're interested in the Virginia Bowhunters Association The nearest club to you is in Manassas, Va.

Sorry I thought you were in Waynsboro area.

http://www.vbarchers.com/
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Take Kevin L up on his offer. You'll not be satisfied until you can make up your own mind. They all work well if properly tuned. I'm partial to woods I make myself.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©