3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow advice, keep the same or go way different  (Read 337 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow advice, keep the same or go way different
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
I am looking at getting a new bow to my very small collection (see in my signature below) I really like my Foley, my MOAB is pretty close to the same specs. (might be selling it to get another Foley identical to the one I have, I have not shot the moab) my thinking is to keep my bows identical so I have no problem transitioning from one bow to another, I want a second bow as a backup in case something happens to my primary bow. I have friends who have a large swing in bows, from self bows to top of the line customs. I don't know how your brain knows which one your shooting to make the adjustment.

Friends ask why buy a bow if it is the same as you already have, no reason to have 2 bows the same ?  Like I said above, I don't know how my brain can adjust between to separate bows, poundage difference in itself has to be a major factor in shooting accurately.can you pick up a totally different bow in the middle of hunting season and shoot accurately ?

I hope my ramblings convey my question / concern about having different bow styles/weights/lengths and a million other variables.

Am I crazy for using this logic in wanting an identical (ok close as possible) second bow ?

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow advice, keep the same or go way different
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Your not alone. I'm the same way. At least keep the same grip and gpp for same speed. I have 2 identical bows but one is 4 lbs. lighter than the other.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
That's a hard one to come to, I have a few bows that are different brands but very similar in feel & shooting qualities & then I have a few that are different in every way.

Similar
1991 Sky Sky Hawk:
60" 45# @ 28" but draws 47# at 27.5"
2009 Zona T/D Recurve:
60" 52# @ 28" but draws 49# at 27.5"

Different
2009 Hoyt Dorado:
60" 50# @ 28" but draws 51# at 27.5"
62" 40# @ 28" but draws 39# at 27.5"
1969 Bear Grizly:
56" 50# @ 28" but draws 52# at 27.5"
1973 Bear Grizly:
58" 45# @ 28" but draws 44# at 27.5"

As you can see like many here I have a few different models & types of recurves & I like em all but shoot nearly all of em a little differently but when it comes to a hunting bow I really pick the 2 that are as similar as possible because then I have very little to think about when the chips are down.

To me if this is a hunting bow as a possible second I would make it a bow as similar to the one you shoot & the most with.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
You might want to get another Foley,but 3-4#'s lighter. That way you would have a bow that is easier to handle in the late season, or a bow for 3d courses.  Bob

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Trad shooting is tough enough with all the variables the same, I just cannot comprehend why I would want to add more variables to the equation. My logic is to keep everything as close as possible. Friends look at me like I'm crazy wanting another identical bow. I see so many people here having a wide selection in there lineup, I was just wondering if I was over thinking my decision (like I have been know to do)
Dan

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
alot of it has to do with how you aim.point on,gap,string walk,or instinctive.i have one recurve and a couple of sets of limbs
i like biscuits

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I am an instinctive shooter.
Dan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
If you hunt, an identical bow as a back up is ideal-or at least one that shoots the same arrows and broadheads in perfect tune.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
If you hunt, an identical bow as a back up is ideal-or at least one that shoots the same arrows and broadheads in perfect tune.
Exactly, tis why I mostly shoot & always hunt with the 2 bows that shoot nearly identicle to each other.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
I have never shot a Foley, but I think you should shoot that MOAB a little before you make up your mind.  On second thought,  how much for the MOAB?  I need a back up bow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Tricia and I shoot identical bows from the same manufacturer.  Her draw weight is lighter than mine.  We set out arrow weights up so her bow shoots the same speed as mine. The multiple redundancy works perfectly for us.  Use different wood combos to spice up the bow buying experience.

Ordering a bow you like that matches your present one from the same manufacturer makes a lot of sense. It can only help with your form and accuracy to use matching equipment.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I have never shot a Foley, but I think you should shoot that MOAB a little before you make up your mind.  On second thought,  how much for the MOAB?  I need a back up bow.
The moab is for sale, I cannot post it here because I don't have 100 posts, been a member for a year now, but am not a big poster, I only ask questions, I do not try to answer them sense we have so many seasoned and respectable members here, kinda hard getting 100 posts that way.
Dan

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I am glad to see a lot of people agree with my thinking, I was beginning to think I was the only one to think this way. I am a hunter and keeping the variables the same is important to me, but like I said, I have friends and see most forum members have multiple varieties of bows so I had to ask.  
Dan

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
I certainly like the idea of an 'identical' bow for back up, but the reality for me is I want to get to 100% trad hunting whether it be geese, deer, pigs, moose, etc. in a few years.

The way I look at it I want a bow that fits each hunting style/game needs. Best I can come up with is I need 3 different weight ranges...mid 40's small game, mid 50's for deer and hogs, and eventually mid 60's for bigger game I hope to hunt one day. (that would be 6 bows! - maybe you are on to something!)

By tweaking arrow weight and using only similarly efficient bow designs I plan to keep arrow speed within 10fps which should give me similar impact point out to 20-25 yds.

Since the mid-50#s bow is the most veratile, it will likely get the most milleage as back-up and primary...

That's the plan anyway. Just anopther thought on how to justify buying more bows...
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to add, with similar bows I don't need hundreds of different arrows laying around to confuse me more !
Dan

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Ask yourself if you really need a new bow for a backup!!
 What are you gonna do, break your bow while hunting with it?
 Or do you just want to have a new bow and the backup thing is just an excuse.
 Me I would buy something different, just cause and if need be use it for a backup.

John

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Outwest:
Ask yourself if you really need a new bow for a backup!!
 What are you gonna do, break your bow while hunting with it?
 Or do you just want to have a new bow and the backup thing is just an excuse.
 Me I would buy something different, just cause and if need be use it for a backup.

John
John, that is what I hear from friends !

Don't get me wrong, it is an excuse to get a new bow, why would I need two bows ! I bet I get responses to the reason I do need multiple bows LOL, but then maybe them reasons will go against my theory on having identical bows, just looking for advice before making an expensive decision. Thanks Guys !
Dan

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Or maybe the new ( different ) bow would be a better fit and the original bow would be the back up bow!!!
Thats what makes this so much fun, and keeps the bowyers in business.
 In reality none of us actually needs more than one bow. Or do we?

John

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I believe in finding one that works for you and if it does why have others?
I have one recurve and one compound.Stop using the compound after using the recurve.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Dan, looks like you have your answer, just looking for some support. I would like to ask why you have not shot the MOAB? That is one sweet bow from all I have heard. I am getting the Thunderstick mag myself. I to am looking into using at least the same style and similiar weight bows. When you are able to post the MOAB for sale I would be interested, it is very similiar in weight and length as my Thunderstick mag that is coming. I have R/D longbows, Hill style longbows from 54#-60# and do have to adjust when shooting.
USMC 82-86

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©