3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short vs long longbows  (Read 568 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Short vs long longbows
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
I know the short bow is really not a longbow so we can take that off the table. What I am trying to ask is if you have both or have had both? If you have what did you like or dislike about the short bow vs the longer bow. Speed, time to get on target, shoot where you point? Was one smoother? Did you shoot better with one or were they similiar? What do you have to say if I have missed a quality that you liked? Thanks I am getting a shorter bow the Thunderstick mag. This is why I am asking.
USMC 82-86

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short vs long longbows
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Do a little search.  It's been discussed much before around here.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
The shortest longbow I have shot is 60" Bitterroot and my draw is 29". This bow was a good shooter but the finger pinch was uncomfortable. I also had a 62" Thunderhorn and a 62" Great Northern that were good shooters and were more comfortable than the Bitterroot. Currently my shortest longbow is a 64" Navajo Stick Apache. Otherwise I like the long 70" Howard Hill style longbows.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
I went from a 64" recurve to 62" Massie longbow. I now shoot a 58" Smolenski longbow. I like the shorter bows. I mostly hunt from a tree stand, their easier to manuver in the stand. My brother just received a 56" thunderstick and loves it. You won't be disapointed.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I have always shot a 66" longbow but now shoot a 64" longbow and don't see any difference.I also have a Beeler longbow that is 56" and the design of that bow is great I don;t get no finger pinch at all.it really feels like your shooting a 54" longbow.but after about 20 yards I start loosing some accurace with the shorter bow not alot but some.the shorter bow is ideal for hunting.
robert quetot

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I've shot down to 54" bows and won't buy one under 62. I don't know exactly what it is but i can't shoot bows under 60" nearly as well as I can those over 60". I have a 29 1/2" draw length and that could have something to do with it.

Bisch

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
S.C. Hunter..What's your draw length and how big are your hands? Some of the guys posting above draw 29"s or more. I draw 27"s but have large hands. I think those components are the most important factors for me. I can shoot 56"s and up. I had a 56" R/D LB that shot real well for me and now I hunt mostly with a 60"? They shoot equally well, go figure?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I have large hands 8.5" tip of middle finger to crease where hand joins wrist and 10" around my palm measured midway between knuckles on back of hand and web next to my thumb. I draw a touch over 28". I shot a 58" bow one day about 6 arrows and was surprised how well I shot the bow.
USMC 82-86

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
My go to hunting bow is a 54" Treadway Black Forest with 4 arrow strap on quiver. I have a 27" draw. In hunting from a gound blind, tree stand, or natural blind, it is my opinion the short longbows have way more advantages than disadvantages at my draw. It is also my opinion that that inaccuracy of the shorter bow over the longer bow is minimal if any. I actually feel I  shoot my 54" ad good or better than than I do most of my longer long bows. Maybe part of that reason is I truely beleive that so that is embedded in my head.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I draw 28.5 and have two mini ilf Morrison bows one longbow one recurve that are 56" and there is no better shooting bow in my opinion.  The short bow less accurate thing is a myth it's all in what you like at the last 3d shoot I shot a 192 out of 200 taking first place from all the 64" shooters.  Shorter risers have longer working limbs that give less finger pinch so that has not been an issue for me.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I like the short Hy-bred longbows with lots of Deflex Reflex to them. I draw 30" so 58" is the shortest I have owned for any length of time.

My favorite longbow bow on the rack right now is a 60" Hy-bred and that is my hunting bow for this year. This bow is silent and very quick that is why it is my hunting stick.

It seems that the longer they are, the more stable they become. That being said 60" seems perfect for me as a hunting bow but that is for me.

All that being said I have a 66" LB that I shot as well as any bow I have ever owned. I have tried to hunt with this bow but no go, that extra length gets in the way (For me).

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
For a 26.5" draw the new bow my wife is shooting, a Lost Creek NAT, is surprisingly accurate and fast. My shortest bows for my 26.25" draw are 62" Robertsons, they work good as well at that draw.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
Have a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter longbow that i shoot as well as any of the Long, Longbows i have had!!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Longer = smoother, by a large margin.
Shorter limbs need to work harder to match the weight of longer limbs.
I had two bows, close to the same weight 72lbs. The longer bow drew smooth to anchor the shorter bow was a pig.
I may be on the short side but I prefer a smoother bow, therefore I go longer.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I shoot a 62" Turkey Creek and a 56" Classic Hunter with a 29 1/2" draw. I prefer the CH by a long shot, no finger pinch and just as accurate at ditances over 30 yards.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Folks are drawn to a particular style & technique & usually make it work with enough practice. Wouldn't trade my straight handle Hills for anything all over 66". A big bunch of short bow shooters may outclass me pdq. It ain't a contest.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
31" draw so I dont have anything under 64" and 66" is smoother for me...also a bit more accurate

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a 29.5" draw and shoot a 60" hybrid. Any thing under that seems uncomfortable between finger pinch and the stacking point.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I am going to use a 54" Shrew Classic Hunter this year.  I have longer bows and the short bow doesn't shoot that much differently although it took a few days of shooting to get where I shoot it well.  That being said, my draw length is only 26 inches and, as said before, the riser is short giving the limbs more working length. I mostly hunt from tree stands and I think that shorter bow will give me an advantage over my other bows.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
The advantages of a short bow (Shrew) that shoots better than a long bow are endless.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©