3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short vs long longbows  (Read 569 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short vs long longbows
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Draw length, hand size, and bow design all play into it.  You have to try stuff.  I have not shot a mag very much, but I would like to spend some time with a 58" and 60".  I have a 60" MOAB.  I draw 29 1/2" and have zero finger pinch or stack that I can tell.  The bow shoots great.  I am going to look at a 62" just because I want to try one not because I think it will make much difference for hunting.  Maybe longer 3D shots it would help.  I don't know.  

I am on the list for a 56" Shrew CH.  That is a smooth shooting bow for me with no stack or pinch at all.  

I used to shoot a 58" Lost Creek when my draw length was about 29" and that was a great little bow.  I liked it better than the 60" Lost Creek I traded it on.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I prefer the longer bows 66# or 68#. To me, they seem to draw smoother.
Sam

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I hope no one perceives this post a "long" longbow bashing. I am a longbow type of guy by choice.  As I said in my post earlier my "go to hunting bow" is my 54" Treadway longbow because of the hunting advantages I feel the short longbows offer for me. Not meaning it is the only longbow I prefer to shoot. I love my longbows all the way out to my 66" Crusader. Besides, it was said when this post started that a short longbow is not really a longbow and that really really hurt. I had to say something.  :)  
I also feel what straitera said in his post holds alot of weight. A toast to the longbow men of Tradgang, short or long.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  thumbs up for my 54" Treadway Black Swamp ,

I am shooting with this longbow for the season,

For my style of hunting it really helps, ground blinds and tree stands make this bow very manueverable and very silent. I feel longer longbows may be smoother but for hunting, you just have to practice and practice with the same bow and same arrows that will really make you a more efficent hunter
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I have a 28 inch draw and prefer the hybrid type longbows. My 2 favorites that I have now are both 60". I prefer them over the longer longbows.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
I've got a 30" draw, and have had longbows of 68", 66", and most recently a 62" MOAB.  I haven't noticed any finger pinch with any of them, and the MOAB seemed to draw much smoother.  Also, when shooting the 66" and the MOAB together, the MOAB had no hand shock.  I was surprised at how much more hand shock there was with the 66" longbow.  Of course it could have been the particular bowyers design.  

I shoot the MOAB much better, and it is noticably quicker, even at a lower weight bow.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I would say that my hands are above average. They are 2x in size and don't have any problems with finger pinch on the short bows like the forward handle style. I draw 30 + inches and like my 56" thunder child a good bit.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I have a 58" and a 66" A&H. The 66" is 4# lighter poundage, but shoots a little faster (4 fps) than the shorter one, even with less poundage!
The longer bow is also smoother drawing.
When I shot these bows thru the chrono I was surprised with the results. I was always told a shorter bow would be faster, not true.
John

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Love my 54" Lost Creek NAT. Shot a black bear from my treestand last night. No contest with regards of being easier to shoot from the stand. Bows are what they are. People like what they like. I love my Lost Creek, bears dont like it as much.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cherokee Scout:
I have a 58" and a 66" A&H. The 66" is 4# lighter poundage, but shoots a little faster (4 fps) than the shorter one, even with less poundage!
The longer bow is also smoother drawing.
When I shot these bows thru the chrono I was surprised with the results. I was always told a shorter bow would be faster, not true.
Are you talking about the standard bows of those two lengths or the standard and new short design?  If these are the standards, they will tell you the longer ones are the best performers.  That is due to their limb design.  That is not true of all bow designs.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©