3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those who share and hunt Traditional camps...  (Read 274 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
For those who share and hunt Traditional camps...
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I hope you know how blessed you are!!! I share camps with good friends and brother-in-laws who ALL shoot modern equipment and I am the only "trad-man" in camp; don't get me wrong, I enjoy myself and am very thankful to be out in the woods,BUT I can only wish for those trad camps; I look at all the pictures you guys post and get lost in wishing for the same; we sleep in pull-behinds campers and they don't go where there is no electric;

I plan (if God permits) to attend some trad shoots this up coming year and get aquainted with some trad members; looking to buy a wall tent and get away from all this "modern" hunting;

Anyways, keep those camp pictures coming and one of these days, some of you are going to have company.......me.......   :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those who share and hunt Traditional camps...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
There are several of us that will be hunting at Ouachita early Oct.  It sure isn't a wilderness camp with the campground having electricity and facilities but at least we are all stick shooters.  We would be happy to have you at our get together.

For details you can go to
  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=000089  

Right now the plan is to have a hunt each month of the season in different parts of the state.  Who knows, Nov may be on the Buffalo river.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
At forty years of age, maybe it is time to find your own trail. I started hunting when I was in my late twenties, with no friends or family members to hunt with. For several years I went off every fall to the National Forest to camp in a tent and hunt deer. Now my husband helps set up camp and stays for the last week I am up there. A few friends have come and visited.

Love it still. Explore!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
Pac I don't know how I missed that thread but I would appreciate it if you could send me a link to any map sight that would show me where it is and how to get there from Missouri.

Assuming your hunt is open to other tradgangers, even those not from Arkansas.

Thanks in advance!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
Have the right perspective. At least you get to go. The bow don't make the man. I'm in the same shoe's you are, I'm the only trad. shooter in my group. I just look at it as they aint cordnated enuff to shoot a real bow. It's all in good fun.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Mudd I sent you a pm.  

This hunt is open to anyone that would like to attend.  I put it on the Arkansas page to help keep track of what is going on without having to search for the thread all the time.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Mudd, it would be great if you came down here and shared camp with us.  It sounds like we're gonna have a great time.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
I feel the same as Stuckum. I hunt with my son. He is practicing with a Predator recurve but hunting with a Mathews Monster. I know he wants to hunt with the recurve but he has less time than I do and wants to fill his freezer.

In Indiana I'll be hunting with my great friend Jim and my son. I'll be the only one hunting with a recurve.  None of us will pay a bit of attention to the equipment each is using. Instead it will be; where you hunting, what did you see and quick quiver scans for missing arrows as each of us comes into camp.

Now, I have no doubt if a bruiser shows up at say, 35 yards I'll pass it. They'll be at least thinking about whether or not I regret leaving the Z7 (Mathews compound) at home.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I've never hunted with another traditional archer... but the camps I've shared with compound-toting buddies have been plenty traditional and no less enjoyable.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I am blessed to have a son and a wife that both carry trad gear.  I usually carry my latest creation (selfbow) my son carries an old Browning Safari II recurve and my wife carries a Striker take down longbow.  My brother is in the process of switching over from his Mathews this year as well so it will be a full trad camp.  We have no electricity but we never suffer in camp and its always a great time.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Another group of us is hunting James Collins WMA in eastern Oklahoma on Nov 6-7th if you are interested in that.  Not too far at all from Arkansas.

Brian

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:48:00 AM »
It doesn't matter what equipment someone carries it is the attitude that matters. Savor your friends and family they won't always be there with you to enjoy.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
I know EXACTLY what Arkansaslongbow is trying to say.

I too am the only "trad" guy in camp.

It is why going to traditional shoots such as Comptons, and the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters rondevous, are SO much fun. You are with people who understand. Those who know that less is actually more.

:campfire:

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Jack, you nailed it.  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
My little camp is electricity and running water deficient. All my modern equipment buddies seem to migrate to it almost every weekend during season.
I don't run them off cause I don't need to make less freinds!
We have a good time and they understand my equipment superiority is reflective of my superior hunting skills...., Wait..., I think I got that backwards.
Whatever.
Pass the bottle of Captain Morgan over while I go get some ice!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I guess I'm lucky, I started hunting by myself or with my wife, camping in a tent. When I got my cabin all of these guys wanted to come hunt with me...   :archer:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Ron,
I know you have to know how lucky you are!! I have envied Shrew Haven ever since I have seen a photo. Just looks like a place you want to stay forever. Course us arkies may have a little problems with all that white stuff hanging around more than a day or two!!

I don't  think any of us can just create a Shrew Haven they have to be developed over time!! So no time like the present to get something started!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©