3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season morning hunts  (Read 409 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Early season morning hunts
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
In the early season, I hunt in the afternoons near or on ag fields and have had good luck.  I would like to get more hunting time so am looking at morning hunts.  What do you look for when hunting early in the year from daybreak to noon?

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season morning hunts
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
i hunt mornings almost exclusively in the early season because i hate the warm to downright hot conditions in the afternoon. i am a stickler about bumping deer when getting to and from my ambush locations. i always look for undetected access in and out especially in the dark approach in the morning. even if i can't cover all the entrance/exit routes by staying back from the feeding or bedding areas i won't hunt where the majority of the trails come together entering either one. i don't like being very close to ag fields at anytime. you will run the deer out of the field in the morning going in and scare them off again trying to get out in the evening.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
wisconsinteacher "What do you look for when hunting early in the year from daybreak to noon?"......

Wait for it!..................

Deer!!.....lol

I just couldn't resist!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Any funnel would work and any area around water. (more towards noon)
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Around my area I notice they are usually returning from fields and feeding areas heading back to bedding areas.Not 100% of the time but alot of the time.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Any funnel is good.  Any funnel on the way to a bedding area is great.  

If you have acorns falling oak flats are hard to beat in the morning.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
I am not much on morning huntin only because I detest getting up early, but I found that mostly the same sets I use in the afternoon works in the AM. I sit till about 10ish unless its the rut, then I sit till 3ish come out for an hour an go back.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Most of the guys I know hunt more in the evenings. I prefer mornings. I love being in the stand in the dark, at least 30 minutes before even a hint of dawn. Watching God's world wake up is the essence of bowhunting to me. That first hour (depending upon the stand location) is magical.

I hunt in the evenings about 25% of the time, more when the season gets cooler like was said above. The evening is great that last 30-45 minutes when things start feeling very "deery"!

Of course stand location and predicatable deer movements have to be accounted for when selecting any stand during any period.

You mentioned hunting until noon.  I know I miss a lot of action. I love to stand hunt but I'm good for only about 3 hours, so I'm usually on the way home by 10am. Maybe I need a more comfortable seat?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I hunt very few mornings until the rut is heating up. In my part of the world that is Nov. 1st. Mornings are tough as you educate a lot of deer heading to your stands in the dark. If I hunt mornings I avoid all open fields and agriculture fields. I will walk a mile out of my way to enter a stand just avoid fields. I have a friend who is in his early 70's and he has killed a ton of big bucks and 8-10 are book der and he always tells me ya do more harm than good by hunting mornings. If ya must hunt mornings wait until light to head to head to your stand so ya are less likely to buggar your area! I do well following this rule. Hunt funnels but not from down in as thermals rise in the morning and carry your scent around, stay on the ridges and Oak flats or in the beechnuts and ya may catch deer grabbing a bite on their way to bed! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
thats all I really hunt anymore due to school. Got to be at the college by 10 or 1130, so Ive been hunting funnels and heavy trails!  I tried hunting the acorn drop on Saturday but literally the entire forest is dropping at the same time so that was unproductive . . . I think when I can I will chill by the trails in the morning and still hunt he acorns after 10???  We will see how it goes!  Good luck!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Deer walk "around" (no particular destination) in the morning as well as evening... so anything back in the cover, with a reasonable amount of deer sign, is just as good in morning as evening.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey Mudd... Good one!!!  :biglaugh:  

Bob!
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
one key I have found is making sure you can get in quietly and stay away from alerting them. You don't want to get spotted or smelled or heard. If you can manage that, then hunt wherever you can find a good spot. The problem can be that early season, they can and are about anywhere. If you can be sneaky, then you will have some good hunting. If you are after mature bucks, then good luck in the AM early in the season.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Wisconsin teacher,

Well, I supose anything I say must be taken witha grain of salt ... I ahve hunted hard two days and have seen a total of 3 deer, not pulled the string back one time.

So, an idea for you.  I feel, especially with the full moon conditions, deer are not moving much in fields ( ag or crp).  they are focusing in on #1, the incredibel mass crops dropping right now ( especially the white acorns), and #2 transition zones.

I believe the deer currently are moving in sadles and funnels from ridge tops ( near tops, not all the way up) to their bedding.  they are focusing on the mass crops and small plant browse.  It is tough to see them with all the leaves still around.  The deer are in and around transition zones; hardwoods near field or pines, fence rows in the timber, and or saddles in open woods next to thicker timber.  They are bedded most of the day and do not go far, moving only to stretch, browse and bed again.  I do not think they move much until dark, then they go the fields and feed again.

So, I would look for funnels or saddles near a good stand of mast crops near or on a transition zone.

Then just watch the swirling wind in those areas!!!

I hope this helps, again jsut an observation from a guy who has not pulled a string on a deer this year.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I will trade 10 evenings for 1 morning stand . Where I hunt I'm heading off deer going to thier beds . A fence line crossing is always great, a low gap in the mountains is even better . Combine the 2 and you have a dead deer most mornings   :readit:  

But think food and set up between the beds and the food in a pinch point or funnel . I may hunt 2 evenings out of 30 days of hunting . I don't like the fact that it is getting darker all the time you are setting in a stand on an evening stand. Like they say " GOD ONLY MAKES SO MANY SUNRISES AND I DON'T WANTA MISS A SINGLE ONE "  :)
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
I used to find every excuse in the world (some I've read here) why not to hunt in the mornings. But,I have seen a lot of deer in morning stands.  During the rut I won't miss a morning stand. Besides it's fun watching the woods wake up !

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Most all of our largest bucks are killed the first 2 weeks of the season, and all in the morning first 20 min of the day.Backside of food plots.Be in your stand way before daylight.If you know your hunting area and how the deer use that area you will kill some of the largest bucks in your area.Most hunters miss the best part of the season and wait for the rut, when the deer your hunting is 2 miles away.I LOVE THE MORNINGS IN EARLY SEASON.I here people say its to hot the deer dont move ,all the time.But year in and out im not sleeping in.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Blood Trail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I love morning hunts. Good light for following blood trails and dressing kill.
It's not what you look at that's  important-it's what you see.  

Thoreau

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Take the time to clean the trail to your stands.I Round-up and then rake them bare.This will allow you to hunt a stand w/ minimal impact on deer movement.This also helps if you hunt the same stand on consecutive days.

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I never see deer in the evening. Probably a smell thing...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©