3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will this setup kill clean to 30yds??  (Read 446 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Will this setup kill clean to 30yds??
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
I know I know I know I know I know another one of these posts..   :deadhorse:

Fact is I have a new bow.
Nothing is quite what I expected from it, but I can shoot it pretty darn well. So I'm happy enough.

Anyway, I'm shooting a 550 grain arrow at 141ft/sec.  

If I put a sharp 2 blade head where it counts on a whitetail 25 yds or closer will I have any problems?
Do you think I'll get pass throughs??

I know a lot of you shoot 170-180ft/sec.
That's a BIG difference

Just looking for some confidence in the setup.

Thank you.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will this setup kill clean to 30yds??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »
You should be good to go.  Just make sure you have a good broadside shot, and the closer, the better. If you try a longer shot, make sure the deer isn't looking your way. Personally, I'd try to keep shots within 20 yards.

I imagine you'll get complete penetration.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I feel that it's the aiming and hitting the mark thats more important.Have confidence in you and your set up will work.Dont think you cant get closer than than 30yrds,you can.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I shoot a 682 grain arrow out of my 42# bow and it goes through the chronograph at 148 fps. I don't take any shot over 20 yards and all of the shots I've taken at live game have been between 12-17 yards. I don't think it's wise to try a 30 yard shot because if the deer moves between the time you let loose the arrow and the arrival of the arrow, the deer could move enough where you wouldn't get a kill shot. You could wound the deer and not recover it. Here in Texas; if you wound a deer and the shot doesn't kill the deer, if the deer gets stressed and has problems moving around, it usually ends up as coyote bait. With a slow arrow, closer is much better than better in my opinion.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I agree with Night Wing as far as shot distance goes.  But yes, you have a killing setup.  Even though it may be dissappointing when the chrono spits out a low number, it's the weight of your arrow that suggests a killing machine.
Ward

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I'm with Night Wing on this one.  With your bow shooting 140+ fps, I wouldn't shoot at anything over 15-18 yds.  Waaaay too much can happen between the time the arrow leaves the shelf and reaches your "intended" target, especially on a whitetail.  I've seen them swap ends in that short time span.  IMHO, too risky for anything over 15 yds.  Just say'in.

Get 'em in close and you can close the deal.

In any case, best of luck to ya.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks all.
Yeah, this is a 43# at my short 27.5" draw.
I need to learn to stretch out and still be accurate.
Just playing around I drew to 30" and got three readings 178-184 ft/sec. Now if I could just learn to harness that I'd be set.

Good point about the arrow travel time. I'll need to keep that in mind.

Thank you!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Good form trumps speed. Don't "stretch out" unless you can incorporate good form into it.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Definitely a significant relevance to speed, weight, distance, accurracy, etc. (again). Just because you may shoot heavy arrows faster doesn't make you sheriff. It is strickly personal what each ethical hunter chooses to live with. My opinion may not coincide w/yours. If you are confident in your setup & ability, you're good to go. Just do/try your best to insure a good quick humane kill. I too stack hands w/Night Wing.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
A lot of Native American bows were like yours- and they worked.

Just take close shots- and be deliberate in your aim.

And don't make a bleat to stop the deer- that is for the 'professional bowhunters' not us experimenters in archery. Usually when you draw your bow the deer will notice something and stop.
 What I am saying is try not to alert the deer before you shoot- let the arrow hitting him or her: be the tip-off that your there.

And sharpen the broadheads. Not so that they look sharp; but so you can shave hair off your arm. I will take a sharp arrow out of your set up over a dull one of any weight arrow and bow strength.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Timing is the key, if you are consistent at the longer shots and the deer is paying no attention to you, why not?  Every scenario is different.  If you have confidence in the shot, you will know at the time if it will work or at least if the odds are in your favor.  I remember watching a fellow shoot a deer with a 35 pound all fiber glass Ben Pearson at about 30 yards.  He had skinny fiberglass arrows with crudely sharpened MA2s and he had weird form to boot.  The one thing he did not have is a knife or any knowledge on field dressing a deer.  I was glad to help, and equally glad that his full penetration hit took the deer down in less than a hundred yards.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
if your question is can the set up kill . . . yes it is capable of killing deer sized animals out to 30 yards without a problem, I would venture to say it could probably kill larger game but not out to 30 without a problem. Unless you are shooting extreme FOC, I would hate to see what something that would do against a rib???

I think the bigger question is how much arc something that slow has at that range, I have a light bow that is right around that slow, I wouldn't shoot anything beyond 20 yards simply because I dont handle that drastic difference in trajectory well.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
It will kill clean at 130 yards and even as far as you can shoot that arrow...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
First deer I killed was w/ a 45 lbs Darton recurve w/ 1916's and Wasp 4 blades at 32 yrds.I draw 27'' and back then it was more like 26''so I would lean towards YES!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Can You say Dinner time?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
You will have no problem killing stuff if you are accurate with shot placement. Comparing your speed to someone else's is futile at best-too many variables: silencers, arrow weights, chrono set up etc etc. Pay zero attention to others claims, people estimate chrono speeds even without a chrono! " If that guy is getting 180 fps with that set up I must be getting 190."

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
FPS?  Who cares about fps?  Relatively slower or faster arrows just change your point of aim or how you instinctively shoot the bow.  In no case will your arrow be fast enough to get to the deer before the sound of your release - and that's your real issue.

At 30 yards, with the fastest wheeled arrow flinger or with the slowest stick bow, a deer has time to react (or just take another step, etc.) and to move.  That's what will give you bad hits and misses (assuming you have practiced enough to be accurate with you bow).

Why not try to get closer and stop worrying about arrow speed?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Guys, guys....

The vast majority of deer I've taken has been within 15yds. Many within 10. In fact, the last deer I took (with a shotgun) was rubbing herself on the tree while I was sitting leaning my back on it. It was a big oak.

I've just never tested (on a deer) a setup with an arrow weight like this going this slow.

I can shoot it fine. The trajectory is pretty well cemented in my noggin.

I can make a 25yd shot with confidence in hitting the spot or dang close.

I was worried the darn arrow wouldn't penetrate.
That was my concern.

I will keep the time from release to contact in mind for sure...that was a good point.
=================================================
I'll get as close as I can....when I can..

I can't get close every time and wanted to know if there was enough energy to get the job done at longer ranges that's all.

Thank you for the notes from real world experience

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Nah - you're fine *if* the animal's kill zone is still there when that arrow arrives.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I figure if the deer is walking and I shoot just as it enters my peripheral vision it should time up about right,,,

Thanks     :saywhat:  

I figure a with a 20yd shot a 140ft/sec arrow should get there in about .42sec

a 180ft/sec arrow should get there in about .33sec

a 200ft/sec arrow should get there in about .3sec

This is not taking into account the fact the arrow slows down..etc As it so happens the faster the arrow is traveling the faster it'll slow down..if they are identical arrows...but now we're getting nit-picky..

A lot can happen I guess in .09 sec..

At 30yds it gets more interesting

140ft/sec=.64sec
180ft/sec=.5sec
200ft/sec=.45sec

Can hardly wait to try it out...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©