3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A very fun weekend at Hog Heaven  (Read 397 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
A very fun weekend at Hog Heaven
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm not sure if the fellas who attended- Kyle and Bob Betts and Mike Costello- all from Delaware- are real active on TG or not.

About 75 pigs were seen...hundreds of deer and turkey- there's persimmons, crabapples, and acorns everywhere.

Here's the hog Mike took. I'll let everyone tell their stories themselves.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A very fun weekend at Hog Heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Come on folks. Where're the storytellers? Just guessing this might be good.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I can tell you if you get to share a camp with this group they are as good as they come- quiet, but very competent and considerate folks who were really great to share camp with...
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Man,,, that mound of dirt has got to be haunted by pig ghosts by now.I was interested in seeing what Hog Heaven looks like in the fall.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Can't wait till January to get down there and see the countryside..........and a few pigs !!   :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
it makes the pig the star of the show, for sure, doesn't it Izz?

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Ray, do you mind letting them know I'm trying to put a crew together to come back next 4th of July weekend since they are in my neck of the woods?

3rd time's got to be the charm for me...but I'm staying away from anything that buzzes this time!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Choppy,

I think you just did!   :laughing:    :dunno:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
im looking forward to getting over there one day! nice looking pig...
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm working on the pictures as I have only a portion of them.  
Mike and I had actually never met until this trip, but I know we will be spending many excursions together in the future.  He has been to ETAR more than once. Possibly the nicest man I know.  A father to foster children, a kidney donor a few short months ago, and an Environmental Protection Officer.  Oh yea, a pig sticker too.
Mike is not yet a gang member but will be very shortly.  My father is, but never posts'.  He found out quickly how hot it gets in the SC swamp.
I can't say enough about the time we had.  I'll tell it better when I get the pics formatted.  Can't wait to go back.  Thanks Ray.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Nice!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Well if they were Quiet and Considerate folks, it was prolly a good thing I wasn't there!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
The first time to a new place its best to be careful so the locals don't eat you.  Now we know better.  Plus, we were three mouths short.

I've never been called quiet (unless Ray was referring to how I walk through the woods LOL).  I usually get accused of talking someones ear off.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline MCostello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Hey, I'm signed up with TG now. I had a great time down with Ray at Hog Heaven. Bob and Kyle were great hunting partners (and travel). Looking forward to more adventures with them.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Glad to see you guys made it home OK....Kyle...is it as much fun at HHI as it was at HH?

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Not quite.  I'd rather be home in a stand.  Oh well, a little golf and time with the family.

Too much fun.  I saw easy 100 turkeys, numerous deer, and had enough hog encounters to make me want to go back next weekend.  I'm going to need a second job.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Dang..... sounds like a great time...im going to try and make another trip next year!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
The place was great.  Absolutely everything a person needs to be comfortable and concentrate on the task at hand.

Terrain was a little different for this Delaware boy, but nothing too crazy.  Seemed as if a piggy could be around every corner.

The first evening, I had an encounter with one exactly the same size as the target at about eight steps.  Unfortunately, I was in his way and even though I drew twice, I never let it slip.  I do not regret that decision.  As I would find out later, pigs are a whole lot tougher than deer.

Did I mention how beautiful the place was?

Not to mention the sign.

I'll add a little later.  I hope my camp mate Mike chimes in, as he took lots of photos also.

Offline Icandraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Good to see you all had a great time. Hope you left a few hogs there LOL! I'll be there next weekend and I'm looking forward to it! I was there last year and had a good time and some good food, but the hogs just didn't present themselves.   :rolleyes:    :banghead:

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Hogs are just crazy in 2.5 days I saw one big sow at 35yds with piglets, unfortunately she saw me too! I was almost back to the truck!

Then the last hour, literally, on Sunday I was surrounded by about 25 of them from 40lbs to 300lbs. They nearly gave me whiplash trying to find a shot! Ray told me later that he was watching with binos and the big boy kept ducking in and out of the ditches on either side of the road and doubling back on me and crossing the road behind me everytime I turned around. Finally got to Ray and he honked for me to turn around but I was too slow.

those pigs will play with your mind like no deer can!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©