3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need input  (Read 260 times)

Offline wat53

• Trad Bowhunter
Need input
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Guys.  First post.  I am a recent convert to traditional archery.  Myself and 3 buddies have been longtime compound hunters and have made the switch this year.  We are learning the hard way and getting some input from a few trad guys we know locally, which is 1!  Anyway my question is this. Does anyone have any opinions on the Easton A/C/C arrows for hunting?  What are the pro's and cons?  And by the way, we are all three hopelessly in love with traditional archery now!  Thanks

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need input
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
THe A/C/Cs will work in trad bows. You just have to have the correct spine and tip weight to match your draw length, arrow length, at the poundage you shoot.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Easton ACC's are quality arrows,but generally are alittle lightweight overall and a touch expensive compared to other quality carbons.There are not many accessories available for them,because of there many sizes.There are no heavier inserts available like brass inserts,used for tuning and increasing overall weight.I like to keep my hunting and target arrows 9-11 gpp.Most bowyers for their warranties recommend an arrow at least 8 gpp and above.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
1st off, welcome to Trad men. Good to have you & your enthusiasm. If it's fun it's worth it. Keep it fun. Sorry, I don't know squat about ACC.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
The ACC is a great arrow. If you already have them and they are spined for your set-up they'll be fine.  I've used them in compounds for years. However, if you are buying arrows, like others above have said, there are better, more durable choices.  Personally, I like the Beeman MFX Classics.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
They work fine for me when tuned properly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wat53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Here is the situation.  Two of us are currently shooting easton aluminums set up for us.  We are doing good.  The third buddy had his arrows set up by a reputable archery shop close to us, and by close I mean its about an hour away.  Anyway they are mostly compound guys with little knowledge of traditional.  So they set him up with some carbon arrows.  We have quickly learned that is a big no no from a traditional stand point.  I came across a guy here at work who has some pretty good traditional experience and brought me a bucket of different arrows to try, which included 3 a/c/c's.  Third buddy likes em.  Just trying to figure out which direction he should go at this point.  My trad guy here at work says to go with aluminum.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by wat53:
So they set him up with some carbon arrows.  We have quickly learned that is a big no no from a traditional stand point.  
Not sure why you say that. Lots of trad guys shoot carbon. Myself included. I prefer them over wood as they stay straight, are durable (I refuse to ever pull wood arrows at 3-D shoots for fear of breaking them) and in the long run more affordable for the consistency and very easy to control my FOC (I'm over 30% FOC) shooting carbon arrows weighing about 650grs.

I love the look of wood, but I prefer the convenience and predictability of carbon.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
ChopX2 is right. Carbons, if you got 'em smoke 'em. Just as well to play with them all & take your pick seeing as how your friend has a bucket full.
Buddy Bell

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Use what works for you.
Have fun.
Experiment.

That is the traditional way.   :D
Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Great arrows, but PRICEY! This sport lends itself to arrow damage. A more affordable arrow is a good idea in my opinion, (hence the reason I build my own wood arrows, Im a tight wad). If they are left overs from your compound bow, shoot them up if they spine for you.

straiter, I think the big no-no he was speaking of is asking a compound pro shop for arrows you intend on shooting from a long bow or curve.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Likely right PD. Asking a c-pro-shop for advice is like; take a number & leave a blank check deposit.

I shoot woods because they're cheap but tell everybody it's because they are cool to look at. PLenty bunch of wood arrow artists here though who'll make you think twice.
Buddy Bell

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I used to shoot acc in my wheelie bow, as said a great arrow but they are expensive and they do bend. I now use one of the arrows that will accept the brass inserts, you can adjust weight and they are much tougher, but as said shoot what you like.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Mr Green 740

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Killdeer is exactly right. Learn and don't get caught up in all the what is and what isn't trad. Have fun and listen to everyone and accept what you can use.
Evolutionary Traditionalist

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I second what Bowwild said about Beman MFX Classics. I think they're the bestest, at least for me anyway.

Welcome to "the Gang".
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
He can help you...
 http://www.thenockingpoint.com/

Also, please consider getting the Masters of the barebow video series, it will cut your learn time about traditional bows in half.

IMHO... I have shot carbon arrows out of trad bows for nearly 15 years now, and I love them.
That being said, I see no advantage over going with such a pricey arrow as an acc when you could get some beman ics bowhunters or some gold tip traditonals and would be able to buy four dozen for the price of one dozen easton acc arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©