3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where did I go wrong  (Read 717 times)

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
Where did I go wrong
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
My oldest daughter is 11, She has been shooting a recurve since she was 8 and a little long bow since she was 4. Last night after we got done shooting in the yard with a couple niegborhood kids she comes up to me and say "daddy i think I want to start shooting a wheel bow with a site" all I could say is "O Thats fine I guess we will get you a wheel bow and then we will put your training wheels back on your mountian bike".... What do I do??????

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where did I go wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Keep shooting with her no matter what bow she wants.. This is all about quality time spent with her...!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
What is wrong with a kid shooting a compound? Is it really putting training wheels back on?

I know some guys who shoot longbows and recurves have an extreme distaste for compounds or feel that because of the bow they shoot they are better but in reality they are not.

Enjoying archery is enjoying archery regardless of what one shoots!

If she will still get outside and shoot why not support her decision?

Your comment more than likely did more harm than good!

After shooting a compound for awhile maybe she will decide she liked her recurve better and switch back...or maybe a compound is for her.

Either way she is your daughter and you should try to support her regardless of how you feel.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
She could pick other things to do other than shoot a compound that you might not like her doing.  Let her try it.  Life is about trying new things.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Remember, kids love toys.  She sees her friends with shiny bows with wheels and sites and she can't resist.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
sk her to get in the car to drive to the local archery dealer. At least that's what I would do.

She will probabbly get bored after a few years and go back to a recurve, either way you still have a shooting buddy. Now the good news is, "If she wants to" take her to a trad shoot and she can still shoot the recurve.

Good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
My 8 year old switched to a compound this year and I had no problem with it! He got really frustrated with his recurve and it got to the point he didn't really want to shoot it. He absolutly loves shooting his compound and it is great to see the joy on his face and the time spent together is priceless regardless of what he is shooting!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Shoot with your Daughter my Man.
Sounds to me you didn't go wrong at all.
You have a Daughter interested in archery.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
PLant the seed re trad vs tech. Reinforce the issue before taking her to shoot wheels. Ask if she can understand the significance while she is trying the techspecs with bells & whistles & special machined screws? Just might see the light. If not, wheels need love too. And, she's your beautiful daughter. Get her the wheels.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I agree with chris 100%
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
I was in the opposite turmoil when my son reached hunting age.  I nearly begged him to use a compound that he had been shooting for years.  He was very good and confident with it and I wanted him to learn how to kill a deer before making the final decision.  He went trad and finally 5 uears later scored on his first deer.  Let them go and experience the hunt and the wheels may or may not come off later but would rather have her hunting with you using a compound or going out alone?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Counseling sometimes helps with these things.  Medication maybe.  You clearly did not read the manual on how to be a good traditional father.

Kidding of course  :)

You can get some great deals on used compunds at craigslist.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Personally I'd rather have my daughter shooting with compound than not shooting at all. That's what she hunts with primarily but has picked a recurve a time or two to help me chase bunnies.

I'm sure between the two of you that you'll get it all figured out or at least that's my hope for you.

I also want you to know that you didn't go wrong.

We teach our children to think for themselves and then we are sometimes disappointed when they do.

Your goals need to be your goals and let her goals be hers. She in no way has the ability to stop you from reaching your goal. I suggest you find a way to to help her reach one of hers.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Time with your children is what matters, let them shoot what they want.  So long as they stay interested and you get quality time with them all is good.  Everything else is just semantics.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by John3:
Keep shooting with her no matter what bow she wants.. This is all about quality time spent with her...!
What John said. Be lucky she still has interest, she will come back someday.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
It seems sometimes we, in the traditional archery circle view using a compound bow as a sin or something, like the archery god is going to punish us.  

Really, it's alright if we or our kids want to shoot a compound bow, there's nothing wrong with it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
You didn't go wrong but you might with the "training wheels" thing!  I just helped my son pick out a new compound since the last one I got him he has used for 20 years!  We love to hunt together and I really could not care one iota less if he is shooting compound or traditional style bows--he's my son, we're spending time together.  That is priceless!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
What do you mean what do you do?  Get her a compound bow and enjoy the outdoors with your daughter.  Don't belittle her for wanting to shoot a compound.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Both my boys started with compounds,  my oldest is now starting to think Dad's recurves are pretty cool and shows them off to his buddies. I had them start with compounds because I wanted them to be able to feel some sense of accomplishment early on so they didn't loose interest in archery and hunting.  They really get jazzed shooting in the back yard and hitting what they are aiming at (tight groups).  They both have small bucks under their belts already and are excited for hunting season.  Kids have so much stuff competing for their time and we are defintely in an era of instant gratification,  I want to make sure hunting/archery has a fighting chance.
Although,  I do struggle some times wondering whether I'm doing them any favors by not steering them more to the traditional bow,   teaching them that not everything comes easy and that there is satisfaction in doing things simpler.  But, I think they understand that,  for now they just want to have the "cool" techy stuff their friends have - just like I did when I was that age.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
At least she isn't spending all of her time texting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©