3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where did I go wrong  (Read 719 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where did I go wrong
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
My 10 year old son is on the small side, and I don't feel the least bit slanted toward taking him out hunting- while he shoots his Browning Micro Midas.  The little thing zips arrows at 40#- and he hits what he shoots at.  I'm geeked about his prospects to run an arrow through a deer this fall.......
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Enjoy HER regardless of what she chooses to shoot and count your blessings (which i know you have many times over already)!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
It's not the equipment that you choose that matters, it's the ethics of the person behind it.  Compound or trad, shoot with her and enjoy every minute of it.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Get her one.  And if she wants a rifle and a shotgun and a handgun.  Get her those too  :) ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Van, I wish you had been MY dad!

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
(She'll need two rifles. A .22 and a deer gun.   :D   )
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
My daughters are 22 and 24. One is just now showing interest in shooting archery. Her boyfriend wants to get a wheel bow and she's been trying to shoot my 40# longbow with small success. The other daughter brightens my day if she just calls so let me know she's OK. The point is, they're both grown and doing their own things. No sons.

Count your blessings now. They will change as your daughter grows. Let her shoot what she wants. At least it's time spent together.

Buy her a wheel bow. Time spent with your children is priceless.

When I hear that song, "Your gonna miss this," I just about come to tears. I miss my kids being little.

Grandkids are the next step in my process. I'm not sure they are ready for kids though.

Like I said, enjoy it now. You'll blink and she'll be grown.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Get her what it takes to keep her close. My 10 yr. old hunts with a compound and rifle. But roams and loves to shoot his long bow just not enough pounds to hunt with.

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Why not put a sight on her recurve?

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Get her the compond.If she ever wants a rifle get her a rifle. Keep her hunting with you.  Us trad shooters do not walk on water.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
You have to get her a wheely bow now- but not the training wheels on her bike.

You really missed your opportunity - when she asked you should have fallen to the ground and cried like a baby !!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
or maybe not.   :dunno:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Its not about the equipment at this point,its about time spent with her. It will pay dividends in the future for both of you. Enjoy what you have going.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Get the compound and try and get her to shoot both some.  Then she can decide what she likes best.  Try and take her to some trad shoots where she has to shoot trad bows.  Those are a lot of fun and will help her enjoy trad bows more.

A compound is probably better for hunting with a young girl or even a smaller boy.  They can probably shoot more weight and get more stored energy.  Sites are a big plus when you are shooting at an animal early in your hunting experience.  Mine will probably shoot a compound for hunting to start out.  They shoot trad bows now because the light compound I have for them is too heavy mass and draw for them still.   I plan to let them shoot both and pick what they want.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Traditional Archery is a enjoyable sport and I shoot Trad. all year , except this fall I will be hunting with a compound bow. Have had some bad shots last 3 years, also killed 2 deer with a Widow recurve . And will still squirrel hunt with it . When I feel more comfortable with my stick will hunt deer with it.Hunting with a Trad. bow does not automatically make me a better hunter.Enjoy archery your way . One opinion , thanks , Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Trad bows are NOT better that wheel bows, only different.  It is silly to put one on a pedistol and trample the other.  Each choice is personal.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
oh good grief.

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
As others have said.. do whatever you can to spend time with your kids when they are young. You've probably heard it before, but this time goes by way too fast..

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Easy Fellas.. I don't have any problem with a wheel bow at all. I have one and shoot it from time to time and all my friends shoot them also. I could careless whats she shoots. Well maybe a crossbow. I just thought it was odd and funny that she would be intrested in one. Trust me I dont think I did or have done anything wrong my grils do everything from duck hunt to deer hunt to run the trap line with me. I was just making a comment. ALL YOU ARE RIGHT. SPEND AS MUCH TIME WITH YOUR KIDS THAT YOU CAN. You never no what tomorrow brings. And I do apprecate all the replys and concerns.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I remember someone writing (maybe in Shooting the Stickbow?) that they though compounds were preferrable for kids in that range as it gets them shooting with less frustration and more confidence.  As they get older the switch back to traditional is more fruitful.

I've got three girls that love to shoot.  (The oldest is 11.)  And I have to say, another girl showed up at the range a month or two ago with a pink compound, and my 6 year old couldn't stop staring.  Most kids are easy sells on flashier toys.....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Oh and Brian, I love the:

"THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP."

I'm going to put it up over my computer at work.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©