3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting ILF bows off the shelf?  (Read 270 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting ILF bows off the shelf?
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
When my ship comes in (it was last sited somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle) I'm considering an ILF riser purchase.  Is this a smart move, given that I would most likely continue to elect to shoot off the shelf?  Seems like the consensus among most folks that have them that post here is to go the elevated rest route. I know I'd still have the limb adjustability, just wanted the thoughts of those that own them.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting ILF bows off the shelf?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I don't own an ILF bow, but I'd think they would be as suited or better suited to shoot off the shelf as a "standard" trad bow.  With all of the adjustments that can be made I think you could shoot these bows off anything and be able to tune them.  Just my $.02...Mike

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
The Morrison ILFs work great from the shelf.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I can't say that there is anything inherent in ILF bows that would make them any more difficult to shoot off the shelf than any other bow. In fact, the new Hoyt is made to shoot off the shelf...it should be on the market in Oct. I have shot my DAS off the shelf but to be honest about he elevated rest thing, I have always shot better off of an elevated rest than off the shelf. It's not the bow.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
I shoot my Morrison off the shelf. It comes with two holes drilled in the riser, one to shoot off the shelf and the other to shoot with an elevated rest (if you choose to use a plunger or round threaded plastic for arrow adjustment). You could switch from one to another in a matter of a couple of minutes. The shelf is nice if you are going to be hunting where it rains alot you could shoot vanes.
I know several of the ILF risers have the two holes factory drilled.
I have had so many very pretty bows over the last twenty years but I have to say the ILF are just plain killing machines and I don't worry about taking it into the woods.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Not to hi jack this thread.But i've seen you reference the new hoyt ilf riser a couple times Bill.I'm wondering if you know how long it will be.And by the way you can set up any of the ilf riser's i've handeld to shoot off the shelf.Thanks,Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
That depends on what riser you buy.  Morrison makes all wood or solid phenalic risers that are intende to be shot from the shelf.  Trad Tech and others do so as well.  I have here now both a metal Morrison ilf as well as a metal SKY riser.  Both have two holes for plungers. Tthe low hole allows you to shoot from the shelf with the plunger adjustability and this is how my sky is set up.  However even though the Morrison could be set up the same it is set up with no plunger.  If I owned a riser that was cut way past center for plunger and flipper rest use and wanted to shoot off the shelf,  I would just build out the side with layers of leather glued together until
 I had it where I wanted it.  I have not tried it but bet it would work.
Good luck,
B.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Not a true ILF, but I have always shot my Hoyt GMI off the shelf with great arrow flight.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
2 Barrels...sent you an email.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
My Zebrawood/Phenolic, Mini 14 ILF [ actually a 13"] riser is designed to be shot off of the shelf.  

The new alum 15" Morrison riser I have, has an arched arrow rest to allow this also..This is a well designed and thought out riser with two holes for a plunger in the event you choose to shoot an elevated rest, which I choose not to do as I'll be using one of Bob's "stubby" plungers in the lower position and shooting off of the shelf with velcro as a rest.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
I shoot a couple of Morrison Mini ILF riser's and a SKY TDX 15 exactly that way. Off the shelf with a plunger. Works very well for me, glad they thought of adding that lower plunger hole.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I shot my DAS Dalaa off the shelf,I had.But shoot my Morrison ILF Metal riser off an elevated rest.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Forgot to add that Dryad makes risers that are meant to be shot off the shelf.  I like the metal risers while sitting on stand for the extra weight.  I shoot heavier mass bow a little better even though  the models I have are only slightly heavier than wood.   I am thinking of gettin a Dryad  with a light wood riser for hog hunting during warmer weather when I do a lot of walking.   Running out of reasons to buy a new bow.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
As for weight in metal risers, the Hoyt Excel in both the 21" and 23" weigh less than two pounds. With a set of foam core carbon limbs my 23" Excel is one of the lightest bows I have. Unfortunately I can only shoot it of an elevated rest but I still shoot it just fine. Also the adjustable plunger I have on it makes adjustments handy and helps with shooting different spined arrows easy.

Offline gillchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I just got a 23" Hoyt Excel riser and have no problem shooting it off the shelf . I used a couple of those felt chair leg protectors , one on the shelf and one for a side plate . One of the most accurate bows I've shot. gillchaser

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I have shot with a guy who used a Trad Tech Pinnacle and shot off the shelf and won our local 3D thing - placed like 12 at IBO's as well. Good shooter - he said that's why he picked the Pinnacle - after seeing him shoot, I wanted one but realized it wouldn't turn my shooting into his.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
I have a Pinnacle 2, hated the big grip and it was only cut to center (Samick Phantom similarly afflicted).

Shot OK but was picky for my style (or lack of one).

It's actually a decent bow, since I've taken a Dremel too it  :)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©