3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first year hunting, What broad head to use!!!!  (Read 277 times)

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
first year hunting, What broad head to use!!!!
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Its my first year hunting, was looking on what broad head to use. i have a 62" @ 60 recurve, Any suggestions?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: first year hunting, What broad head to use!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Get a good popular brand,Magnus,Eclipse,Stos or Snuffer ,well you get the idea, and the get it as sharp as the devil. Make sure they fly good and you will be all set.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
The basic major heads are all popular because they work.  I would strongly suggest that you try Zwickey  to start with, because they are a time honored classic and quite easy to sharpen. However a tougher head is the Magnus heads that I now shoot.  The Wensel Woodman is a dramatic cutter, but not as good a penetrator.  Don't spend more money than you absolutely have to.  If you look at the newer heads you will see what I mean.  Honestly, at 60# your bigger concern is shot placement and not the broadhead once you get a good one and get used to it.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Everyone has their favorites. As long as they are a solid, cut on contact head and razor-sharp; they all work when they hit the right spot.

I like the MA-2s. They are a big solid head that sharpens (and stays sharp) well. I like the two-blades. Lots of folks like the three-blades. The Woodsmans are good three-blades.

Expensive doesn't always mean better. I get the MA-2s for $2 from a local supplier. They work great.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I love it when a guy starts a thread about which broadhead. We all have our favorite and our opinion about the BH we like. OkKeith and 2wfs.. summed it up well.  A well made, cut on contact, solid BH that is sharp will got the job done, if you do your part....  I like woodsman and magnus 2 and 4 blades.
If  you choose an open on contact broad you will get a bad case of hives, your tires will be deflated, your crops will wither and I'll piss in your cheerios.

You are going to love trad bow hunting.... Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks. I was kinda leaning twards woodsmans or magnus. I have a few friends that are pointing me in the right direction for all of my needs. they said i should check out tradgang, And so far i have not been disapointed. this might sound stupid but why do we sharpen new broad heads? They are not shap when you buy them?

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
HaHa thanks joe ashton, I love my cheerios

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Robert,

I have never brought home new broadheads and had them be nearly sharp enough out of the package.

Kinda like wearing new boxers without washing them first. Simply a bad idea.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Often, new BH;s come w/a factory edge not so good. Sharpen to insure the edge is like you want it. There's plenty of great advice on sharpening any head you choose in the archives. I like 2-blade anything. Whatever suits you.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Some new broadheads come as sharp as razors while others need sharpening.  ie...magnus snuffers say right on the package that they are not sharp. A good test is see if they will shave.  If they do then they are sharp.  I would get both of those and shoot them both to see what shoots better or which one gives you confidence.  Any sharp head will work but like mentioned above, shot placement is crucial.  I am pretty new to trad as this is my 3rd year but I have been bowhunting 16 years.  I have found that a lot of different broadheads do not fly well even out of a compound and when I went and bought the G5 montecs I found they needed sharpened right out of the box.  I shoot the magnus 2 blade as I like the penetration but if I shot a Woodsman and it flew better,  I would switch.  Never tried one so let me know how it goes if you do.  Best of luck and you are going to love traditional and love this site.  I am addicted to both.  My best advice is tune them to your bow and pick the hair you want to part!! Good hunting!
JT

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the help guys. i think i will try the woodsmans and the montecs.

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I have another question for you guys. I shoot with 125 gr field points, Should i go with 125 gr BH's or step up to 150 gr for more penetration?

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
The sharpest one in the quiver! I would say zwickey!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Razor sharp is what matters most. Everything else is personal preference.  Pick one you like and sharpen them up.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
ok thanks for the advice

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Zwickey Delta, I prefer the 2 blade, a good
strong affordable head that's long stood the
test of time. You will have to sharpen these but
that's part of archery craft too   :)
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
yea i was thinking of using a two blade. i guess ted nudgget has one that he thinks is the best ever made. thanks for the info

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
In order to know how the broadhead will shoot; you have to shoot it. When you shoot it; it will dull.

So you have to learn how to sharpen it.

Zwickey 2 blade heads ( especially the bigger black diamond delta) are really a good place to start ( I have used them for for 30 years); because they sharpen easily with a little practice.

I use a 10 inch mill bastard file available at any hardware store.

You should put the broadheads on the arrows; then put them point down and spin the arrow.

Where the shaft meets the broadhead is where you look-  the shaft should not wobble at all.
 *** this applies to ALL broadheads- they must spin true or they can hit everything but the target***

If it does - then you need to adjust it. I use a glue I can heat up over and over to glue the heads on - and it helps with getting the spin to true.

I use ferrule-tite glue; which is a hot melt glue. You can glue them onto wood arrow shafts; or onto aluminum screw in inserts; or to increase the weight of the head; steel screw in adapters.

Glue the heads on so that they are on a 90 degree angle from the string. I look down the arrow from the nock end of the arrow; and line up the blade with the side of the nock.

After they spin true- then shoot them into sand or into a target designed for broadhead use.

When your happy an arrow is shooting like you want it too- then get out the file.

First file off the tip; round it; or make it less pointy- because the tip can bend on bone.

Then start on the broadheads sides. The whole trick is to file off even amounts off each side.
 So file once; flip the head over and file again; and do that with both edges of the broadhead.

Once you get it shaving sharp; which takes me about 5 minutes a head; if you need to sharpen them on a hunting trip; you won't need electricity.

Fred Bear used to miss or kill a grouse; or shoot a stump; and sit down and file his broadheads sharp for use again.

NEVER for whatever reason shoot a broadhead that has just been shot; or is rusty etc; and is not shaving sharp. This is the biggest mistake that bowhunters make.

Broadheads do not kill by having a sponsor that is egotistical - they kill by cutting; and the better they cut: the better they work.

After you go to all the trouble of getting close to a deer or bear or elk etc- you want the broadhead to work for you; and that happens with sharpness.

It takes practice to get good at getting broadheads sharp; but traditional bowhunting is all about practice and effort and skill.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
Good idea to shoot the same as your practice point. 125gr field point shoots 125gr BH. IMO, 150gr for your setup will better penetrate. Find 150gr field points or add weight to your 125gr field points to 150gr. Add it easily enough in the shaft behind your screw-in insert.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline upnorthbacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
I bought Magnus 125gr two blades, but after talking with more people around here I wish I went with the 150's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©