3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel Hunting?  (Read 653 times)

Offline BuckeyeBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
Squirrel Hunting?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Just wondering what your favorite squirrel hunting arrow set-ups are? Number 2 whats your ranges for tree rats?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I've never specifically hunted squirrels with archery tackle. I hunt them with rimfires. I have killed some squirrels while deer hunting over the years--shooting into the ground from tree stands.

However, I love to hunt squirrels and I love to bowhunt.  I'm thinking about making up a bunch of flu-flu arrows to take to the woods instead of my rimfires. I will probably be looking for a very economical "head" to use as I expect to lose arrows. I certainly don't want broadheads sticking up in the trees.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I shoot my deer hunting/3-D target/practice/stumping/squirrel/or any other varmit arrows when squirrel hunting.  Long story short, I want to be a efficient as possible when doing anything with my bows, so I use the same setup for most everything.

I just change the tip from a broadhead to a field point or a judo.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
If I can see 'em, I shoot at 'em.  I use hex blunts or broadheads.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I use hammer heads and flu-flu's. I try to get as close as possible, within 15yds.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I slip a .38 or .357 casing over the end of 11/32 wood shaft, cut about a 1/4" slot in the end with a hacksaw, then glue a triangular piece of banding steel in the slot. I usually give that piece of banding steel a crude sharpening before I glue it in (dremel works good).

There's several good small game heads out there you can buy (I like Ace hexblunts), but if you really get into squirrel hunting you'll quickly realize the need for economy in the making of your squirrel arrows (you'll go through a lot of them!).

I like to use regular fletchings also. Squirrels are real good at jumping out of the way of incoming arrows, and whether it's the loss of a little speed or the increased noise level of the big feathers, I have never had as good of luck with flu-flus.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Brad,
Good tips!  

My favorite practice for squirrels with my rimfires is to shoot walnuts out of trees. I would imagine it would be very fun to shoot at walnuts with these arrows (like headshots).  

I sure do hate the idea of losing a lot of arrows though. Shooting without flu-flus seems like a guarantee to lose some, if not every one I shoot that misses the beastie.  However, I also know that when squirrel hunting for a couple of hours with my rimfires I'm doing pretty good to get 3-4 shots -- I won't get any more just because I'm using archery equipment so I don't know what I'm worrying about.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I use an assortment, RFA Talons, "Howies" Varmint Busters, Hexheads. Old broadheads that have had the tips either rounded or tanto'd.

I no longer try Blunts of any kind or the "springy legged" things.

My preferences are Talons and VB's.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Listen to Brad.

Do not use FLU FLU's. They slow the arrow down too much and you need all the energy you can squeeze from it on impact. Squirrels are tough.

Wear high top boots. Trust me on this. Arrows do not kill like bullets. You will need to get a boot on them ASAP when they hit the ground. If you get your boot on their tail..., Well, just wear tall boots.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Yeah, stay away from flu-flus. Too slow/loud. Stick with ground shots or treed with a solid trunk behind.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
My preferred distance is straight up with a broadhead, no not really. But that was the shot I had of my favorite all time squirrel kill with a bow. I was stalking deer that were bedded down on a snow covered hill, tracked them for 1/2 mile and finally got within 40 yards of them. Wind lightly blowing in my face and the deer were oblivious that I was anywhere on the planet, so I stopped under a big oak tree to wait them out and hope they would come my way when they got up.

Then Mr. Fox squirrel that I didn't even know was there started barking his butt off at me and he was directly over my head staring a hole through me. The deer got nervous, got up from their bed and proceeded to march off in the opposite direction of the barking squirrel. So I changed arrows from new broadhead to old dull broadhead and all in one motion raised my bow straight up to the sky, drew and shot. I hit him right under the chin and he flew up in the air about 4 feet with the arrow still through his little head as I took a couple steps over and he fell right in my boot tracks stone cold dead. Most amazing shot I've ever pulled off on a squirrel, I was even suprized at myself that I was capable of such a shot.
It sure put an end to the barking in quick fashion though.     :jumper:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I am pretty sure I have squirrel hunting down to a science. I never leave without a shot, and so far I have not gone a season without 3 squirrels taken with my take down.

I carry two flu flu's with judos and 3 regular arrows with judos. Honestly I have more dodging occur when I shoot the regular arrows than I have with flu flu's. Kinda weird?  But that just seems to be how it is. I have only lost one arrow while squirrel hunting and that is from 3 years of heavy duty shooting into trees. However, right now I have two flu flu arrows up in trees . . . which I don't count as lost, lol. They will fall and if they don't I will lug the swimming pool pole to knock them down.

As far as yardage, it really depends on your set up. I would only shoot 20 yards with my 40lb bow, but I shoot at anything under 50 with my 55 pound bow. That and if you are shooting strait up blunts vs a broadhead effective range is drastically different.

Anyway good luck!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
[/IMG]

Just take some wooden arrows and paint them blaze orange.  You won't lose another one!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I use the same thing I use for deer - broadheads + Hex heads.

Last time out I missed one at 35 yards (by quite a bit) and the same one at 30 yards by microns.  Would have had him if my fletching hadn't brushed leaves on the way in - he heard it and vanished before my arrow got there.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
29 1/2 inch np to bop 2020 w 145 grain steel blunt tip w a 15 grain bleeder glued in. Hacksaw a slot. 20 yards - 15 and down almost always a hit. These do not wound - we dont recommend judos, FLUs, Rubber Blunts and many of the things you read or hear. A semi Flu is OK. These heads described will kill every squirrel you hit. And any raccoon, fox, pheasant or grouse you see while hunting as well. File sharpened is OK -------------- 67# longbow
<><
<----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the heads we make. One has a Bear bleeder in it, which I always liked better, but again, those can get expensive. The other is the banding steel, which you can get a life-time supply if you look in the right dumpster   :D  

These things kill squirrels as good as about anything I've bought, plus they're just about free. The "free" part figures heavily when you're talking hardcore squirrel'n, as opposed to shooting at a few whilst hunting for deer...

“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
"I am pretty sure I have squirrel hunting down to a science. I never leave without a shot, and so far I have not gone a season without 3 squirrels taken with my take down."

You don't have it down until you make and shoot 200 + arrows a year. Have days when you don't get a shot and other days when you think you almost get your limit or do get it. Hunt in 95 degree weather and 0 degree weather. De-quiver on one squirrel because he ain't showin' you enough respect. Have to go searching thru the timber for arrows because you de-quiver and squirrels are rutting everywhere. Had to walk a mile back to the truck to get more arrows. Passed a shot at a deer because you thought you "might" get a shot at a squirrel instead that just arrived on the scene.

Engage in hand to hand combat:
 With a leg shot gray squirrel on the edge of a 40 ft cliff trying to keep him from getting over it and nearly taking you with him.
 Climbed down the same cliff while hanging onto a tree root and trying to poke him out from under the roots...., unarmed.
 While getting ripped up in wild rose and puckerbrush trying to get a boot on him.
 Trying to get your right boot on the one you currently have pinned by the tail with your left boot and he is climbing the outside of your leg with murder in his heart.
 Falling head first into a water filled ditch while engaging in a foot race to get one pinned.

And lastly, You don't have it down until you don't even consider carrying a pole to the woods to get an arrow out of a tree!!!

(This is ment to be humurous). I only know two such idiots that fit these descriptions besides me. One of them is BRAD!

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Yep, Kevin's a squirrel hunter, and I can vouch for him on a days squirrel hunt emptying his quiver (a very large quiver)...and mine...and anyone else that is within an hours walk of him.    :bigsmyl:

Kevin "Mr. Squirrel" Flesner
Tom Mussatto

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
The squirrels get the same as a deer for me. Carbon arrows with broadheads.

You are loaded with big fat fox squirels over in Blue Rock if I'm thinking of the right place. Blue Rock state park right by you? If so, I have seen more than my fair share of Fox Squirrels out your way! And some huge deer too.....

Offline BuckeyeBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Yes, I am only 3 miles from the states park office. We do have our fair share of fox squirrels around here. I'm hopin' to see more deer this Saturday! OPENING DAY!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©