3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching carbons without wraps  (Read 589 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
fletching carbons without wraps
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I have had great success fletching carbons and alumiiums with wraps.  Love my onestringer wraps and double doggs.  I got my wife a bow and traded for some axis carbons for bows under 40 lbs.  I fletched up a dozen, but the feathers keep coming off.  she does not shoot all that regularly, but enjoys it and keeps saying she wants to shoot more.  With out adding the cost of wraps for her arrows what should I do to get the feathers to stick to the carbon shaft.  I have been using fletch-tite Platinum and wiped the shafts down with alcohol.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching carbons without wraps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Sounds like the surface is too smooth.  I always scrub them with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol, then wipe with a dry cloth, then wipe again with alcohol rag.  Recently I spoke with a fletcher who uses a cleanser such as Ajax to scrub the shafts.  He rinses with water.

Either method should work.  The Platinum Fletch Tite is what we use.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I use fletch tape, and have had zero issues. I do the same prep work as Larry and cleanup is a snap. Its even better when its time to refletch.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Wipe them down with alcohol and use fletching tape....add a few dots of fletch tite platinum along the base and you're all set...I never lose a feather off of a carbon

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I use a Bohning product which is called SSR, an arrow shaft surface cleaner.  Easy to use and I am still using the same bottle the last 5 or 6 years.  For glueing fletching, I prefer using Goat Tuff adhesive. This process works well on either aluminum or carbons.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I used a green scratch pad and alcohol. I am a wood guy now to clean the shaft and then Beyond bond has a glue and a spray activator that sets the fletch quick and holds real well.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I use Duco cement on my Gold Tips and have not had any problems. I wash the shafts with soap and water prior to fletching and I buy the Duco at the dollar store. Works good for me.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
" I have been using fletch-tite Platinum and wiped the shafts down with alcohol."

What type (name) of alcohol?

What carbon shafts?
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Fletch-tite Platinum for aluminums and Duco for woods. These will not stay on carbons in my experience. Fletch tape and Goat Tuff as mentioned as well as many other super glue types will work. I prefer Saunders NPV Arrow Mate cement as sold by 3 rivers and Custom King.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Fletch - tape and a drop of glue on each end. Prep like the folks said above. Never had a feather come a carbon unless I did something stupid, like shoot thru a metal bucket....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Fletch-tite platinum works for me, with or without wraps.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Bohning makes a super glue type as well that works awesome but is pricey, ya can buy wraps for the cost of it. Regular superglue from the dollar store works well also. Shawn
Shawn

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Like said you just need to prep the surface,but for me I always prefer to use wraps on carbon arrows.It just makes them so much easier to redo later if needed without having to scrap old feathers off the carbon shaft.You can buy solid color wraps so cheap or I have made some from shelving paper in the past.But I like to use some nice looking Traditional style wraps from Onestringer.I have use Fletch Tite Platinum on bare and wrapped carbons.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Try Saunders APV and you will never need another glue for any shaft surface. I dont even wipe my shafts down and NEVER

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I just learned of Fletching Tape on this site in mid-summer. I have almost every fletching jig known to man. Now I only use my Bitz to hold my arrow as I apply the taped fletch. Just as was recommend above, I put a tap of fletch tite on the front ends.

To be honest, I've only tried the tape on aluminum. I'm using factory fletched MFX Classics (carbon) now but when time to refletch I hope the tape works on carbon as well.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I wipe down shafts with acetone then fletch with Fletch-tite platinum.  I never have a problem with GT trads, Beman bow hunter or CE's.  I have also done the Ajax and rinse with Fletch-tite with no issues.  I have had some issues with glue and inserts in the GT's.  They are real slick inside.  I use a rat tail file to fix that.

I just found Duco at the dollar store for of course $1.  I plan to try it.  That is just too cheap to pass up.

I do have all kinds of problems with fletch tape no mater how I prep the shafts.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I use acetone to prep carbon shafts.  If you use isopropyl alcohol, use 91%, not 70%.   The 70% has an oil that may inhibit glue bonding.
I also use fletch tape, and have never had a problem fletching Grizzly Sticks or Easton Axis carbons.  I've never had to "rough them up" to make the tape stick.
Good luck! I wish I could help more.
I use gateway and tru-flight feathers, if you use a different brand, you may want to use a q-tip and wipe the quill with acetone or 91% alcohol just to be sure!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Denatured alcohol, fletch tape, dot of glue on the front of the fletch.  

Don't touch the shaft where you will fletch after you clean it.  

Fast and clean.  You can fletch an arrow in a short amount of time.  

If you are using feathers, this is the way to go.  Glue is slow and sometimes you get a bad bond or too much squeeze out from the feather.  With tape, none of the above.  

Besides, everyone needs denatured alcohol around the house.

This method works every time, no issues. Doesn't matter which fletcher you use.  Go to the 3-Rivers website and watch Dale use the tape.  It is really that easy.

PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Fletch Tape & a dot of glue on the ends. Never have any problems.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
take some 600 grit sandpaper to them lightly, along with alcohol, thats what I do and I never loose a feather unless the arrow goes through hell.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©