3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GOT MOOSE? (How to miss a moose part 2 w/o the miss)  (Read 1336 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
GOT MOOSE? (How to miss a moose part 2 w/o the miss)
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Well Sunday finally rolled around. I was fired up to say the least. I even skipped out a little early from church.

I headed out toward the high Uintas with the hopes of redeaming myself from last weekends debacle. When I got to Evanston WY I was wondering if fate was against me. There was a huge brush fire to the east, and I-80 was closed down. Lucky for me there is another way in. It involves driving on a terrible road for an hour and a half, lucky for me I left early.

The wind was blowing hard, I mean hard for even Wyoming's standard. Outside of Evanston I noticed the lid to my cooler had blown off! So after some retreival, I continued my journey.
I saw these guys on the way in. Man I sure missed hunting them this year!

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GOT MOOSE? (How to miss a moose part 2 w/o the miss)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
It is not fate that is against you when you skip out on church early.  :campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I have been waiting for this one!!

You just kep telling it brother and I'll keep on reading it.

Thank you!

That is an awesome picture of Speed goats.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I still laugh when I think about... "I didn't pick a spot, I didn't even pick a moose!"...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
What a difference a week made! I love this time of year in the Rockies. The leaves seem to change over night, the elk are screaming their heads off (at least when I'm not hunting them) and there is a chill in the air. The mountain scenery is spectacular, and my picture don't do them justice.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I little bird told me today about something Ryan    ;)    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »

I got camp set up before dark, and had a quick bite to eat and prepared for the mornings hunt. Have you ever had a feeling that things were going to go good. I mean, extremely good? I've had the opposite feelings before, but never the good before a hunt. I was so fired up about the morning I couldn't sleep. Throw in the howling wind and the hopes and prayers that I wouldn't wake up sleeping next to a fallen pine tree!

After a few fitful hours of sleep, I got up and got ready to head out. I planned on headind around the large meadow to the other where I missed the cow a week earlier. But other things changed my mind, when I looked out to see Ole Split Ears feeding not 200 yards from my tent.
(this is the pic of her from last week)

She was working her way toward the campground. I knew this game. She comes in, feeds on the hay, and whatever else she wants, then heads to the timber. I headed out into the timber without her seeing me and waited.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Come on Ryan I've been waiting for this! Get on with the story.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I kept an eye on her and made an educated guess about where she would end up. Well I was off by 60 yards or so. But due to the hurricane force winds, I was able to keep tabs on her moving through the timber without much of a problem. After keeping the wind in my favor (which wasn't hard to do for once!) I watched as she bedded down. I took my time and waited for gusts of wind to pick up to mask my noise, and after an hour or so was able to close the gap from 70 yards to 30. Now she was bedded with her head behind the red pine in the picture

I even drew on her, but after last week wanted to close the distance a bit more.The problem was her calf was bedded to the right out in the open. The last ten or so yards would be in plain view of the calf. What a rush. It took me another 30 minutes of agonizing slow stalking to close the distance. I got 20 yards or so away and thought,"this is close enough, if she senses me I hope runs away from me, not towards me!"
I slowed my mind down and picked a spot behind her shoulder. The longbow came back effortlessly.

The arrow was on it's way! A loud WHACK errupted as I watched my arrow skip harmlessly over her back! What the heck just happened. As she trotted away, I walked up and realized the problem. A few pine branches had reached up and swatted the arrow away, thus saving Ole Split Ears!

In this pic my pack is where the moose layed and this is a close up of the life saving branches I had failed to see.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I was a little bummed, but at least my shooting had improved!   :biglaugh:  
Well the score is now me:0 moose:2
I spent the rest of the morning still-hunting and stump shooting.

I'm off to play with my little girl, who for some reason missed her Daddy. I will finish up tonight or tom. Hang in there guys!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
OUCH!!!

Well bud, there will be another time, that is a serious stalk you did though to get that close like that.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Really looking forward to the rest of this one!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Just the stalk was worth it Ryan!  :clapper:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Hang in there Ryan!

You'll get it done!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Hoping to hear you get one. Moose is some good eating for sure.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Great story, it's 0-2 and the next match is about to start.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Alright, little one is asleep, so back to the story. I got back to camp, took a little nap, touched up some broadheads, and headed out. I was going to hunt the same drainage, just the other side (the east side). This is where my Dad had seen the moose last weekend and where the elk hunters had seen a couple a few days before.

Looks moosey don't it? So I head up the trail a mile and a half or so, then cut over to the west side. My plan was to hunt the east side, but when I reached the top, the wind had switched, so I headed over to the west side and drop down the drainage, then work my way back up into the wind. I saw some other moose hunters (bull) and decided to head lower than them so I didn't screw up their hunt. I worked my way lower down the river, looking for any moose or moose parts. When it was about an hour before dark, I cut across the river to go back to the east side of the valley. Ever so slowly I worked my way over. There! A spot of black out in the meadow. I put my glasses up to confirm it was a cow moose, only 80 yards away, and unaware of my presence. I circled up a little to get some more of the wind. There wasn't a ton of cover, but if I could get to the edge of the timber, I might be close enough for a shot. I was running out of daylight, but I couldn't risk going too fast or it would be all for nothing.

I reached the edge of the timber with about a half hour of light left. She had moved a bit further out into the meadow. At 40 yards, it was out of my shooting range. If she would just feed back toward me. As if I willed her to do so, she turned and headed back at me. If she kept her course, she would go through an opening in the trees, thirty yards away.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
As she passed through the opening, I made a grunt and she stopped. My finger was already at the corner of my mouth and the arrow was on it's way. It looked good (which should be the first indication that it's not) and dipped right under her armpit. She turned a little at the sound of the arrow hitting behind her. In the blink of an eye, and without my recollection, another arrow was on the Mohawk and sent speedily towards the moose. I remember picking the spot alittle further back due to the slight quartering away, then watching my arrow strike about 8" even further back than I had intended it.

As the arrow passed completely through her, without slowing down it seemed, she bucked and kicked at the thing that had stung her. I thought, oh no, further back than I wanted, but angling up. Paunch and liver hit. She only trotted 40 yards and layed down. This was a good sign.

I only had 10 minutes of good light left. Decision time. Now I have pushed hit animals a bit too early before, and now it was time to learn from that mistake. I backed out of there, marked the trail and headed back to camp for another long sleepless night.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!

It has become THE TALE OF THE BLOODY ARRA !!!

WAY TO GO Ryan!

Lookin' forward to the rest of the story....

:campfire:

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
At first light at found myself heading toward where I hoped to find a piled up moose. On the way, not a quarter mile from camp was a cow and a small bull standing in the trail. I approached to 15 yards before I realized they weren't going to move. Isn't that the way it goes!

I got back to where I saw my cow bed down. Nothing. I foung the arrow and confirmed my suspicion about the hit. But where was the cow? I nocked an arrow and slowly moved along the edge of the timber. I hadn't gone 40 yards from where I saw her bed, and saw her, very much alive, but not in good condition. I used ny glasses to confirm it was indeed my cow. The snuck up to 15 yards and sent another RFA 3blade on it's way.

She was laying in a weird position, and most moose I saw bedded layed like this. They seem to be tilted or their body is rolled a bit. And this angle made the second shot seem like a shot from a treestand. Anyhow the arrow sank to the nock. She jumped up, staggered another 20 yards into the timber and went down for good.

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Congrats! And way to keep at it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©