3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Be careful! Friend has tick fever.  (Read 348 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Be careful! Friend has tick fever.
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
While out hunting, stumping, or scouting, be sure to check for ticks! My buddy has Rocky Mt. spotted fever from a tick that was only on him for aprox. two hours. It was the type that has the white spot.

Not sure if he has lymes disease yet, the blood culture is still growing. Certainly hope not!

He's had severe head aches,high fever, excessive sweating and some delirium. He had little bumps raise on his legs and back.

If you start feeling bad after a tick bite, do not wait to get to the doctor. Early detection is key! Here's a link to the C.D.C. web page on the disease.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rmsf/index.htm
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Be careful! Friend has tick fever.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I don't think he would end up with both RMSF and lymes from the same tick but good warning never the less...

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
The CDC either knows next to nothing about lyme disease or they are just keeping quiet about how widespread it really is. In 1997, the CDC told my doctor that lyme disease wasn't in the south and the rash I had wasn't related to the tick I found on my head and couldn't be lyme disease. Because of that misinformation, I have been through over 2 years of hell. Sorry if I sound bitter, but 30 days of antibiotics would have kept me from going through this.

Jon

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Picked a tiny tick off my son's neck tonight after a 3-D shoot.  Picked a large tick off myself yesterday after walking in the wood (err... I mean turkey hunting :-).  Parents check the kiddies.  The tick tonight was very tiny but attached.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
It's possible for a tick to carry multiple diseases, but it's unlikely he'll get Lymes from that tick.  The one's with the white dot haven't been shown to carry the bacteria that causes Lyme disease.  It does transmit a similar disease (STARI) that doesn't have the neurologic or arthritic symptoms associated with it.  It'll still knock you on your butt though and the exact bacteria hasn't been isolated - it's been shown NOT to be the same bacteria as Lyme disease though.

Best of luck to your buddy - none of the bugs carried by ticks are to be taken lightly - as Jon pointed out!

I pick a few dozen of the bloodsuckers off my wife and I every year.  We've been lucky so far.  Be careful out there and check yourself regularly!

Jeremy (lives just up the road from Lyme, CT)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Don't let them tell you it can't happen in the South...  less common, yes - but it does occur.

The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Check out the bug skinz from Cabela's.  I have used them for 3 years and have never had a tick in that period of time.  I didn't wear them 1 time, and I got a tick.  THEY WORK and THEY ARE WORTH IT!
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©