3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs & gar The story told  (Read 167 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Hogs & gar The story told
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Oldskool came from Ohio with a plan in mind that we had been talking about for awhile.  Our plan was to go pig hunting for a few days.   After doing some researching and map studying we agreed to head to a wma located in the southern part of Arkansas.

After arriving late in the afternoon we split so we could cover more area scouting for the hogs.  I saw some old sign and a few tracks but nothing I could really get excited about.  Oldskool on the other hand at least has a story to tell and I hope he is along soon to tell the story.  He is riding his motorcycle back home so it might be awhile before he reads this.

On day #2 of our hunt I ran across this so I knew I was in the right area.

While sneeking and peeking around I couldn’t help but notice how dry the land was.  Water was very hard to find but this wma is usually pretty full of water.  I came across this decoy stuck in a tree.  The decoy had evidently become tangled up in the tree when the water was up last year.  I put my bow next to it to show how high the water had been.

Around 1 o’clock I returned to the truck very thirsty despite having drunk 6 bottles of water from my pack.  I felt like a walking piece of jerky.  It was in the 90’s and I didn’t care if I saw a pig or not.  I just wanted some air conditioning at that point.  Oldskool was already at the truck and in about the same shape as me.  After a few seconds of discussion we agreed to forget about hogs and go bowfishing for gar instead.  We headed back to my house for the night and would have a go at the gar the next morning.

We towed my boat to a local wma here by the house.  It is a spot I bowfish fairly often and thought it would be a good choice for Oldskool’s 1st gar.

Oldskool watched the water like an osprey.  

The water was really muddy and the fish would pop up for a split second then go back underwater.  You had to be very fast on the shot to even have a chance of getting a gar.  Suddenly a nice gar surfaced between Oldskool and I.  We both shot.  I missed but Oldskool nailed the fish.

Shortly I added one to the cooler as well.

Plans are already in the making for another hog hunt but we both agreed to wait for cooler weather.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs & gar The story told
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Kool. Hap

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs & gar The story told
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Great shots on the gar. Maybe next time you get a chance at a hog.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©