3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo flooring for arrows?  (Read 470 times)

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo flooring for arrows?
« on: May 20, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I saw a mention on the Howard Hill Shooters email that some guys are planing their own arrows out of "3/8 square action 'boo stock...

Anyone tried this yet, and if so, what do the diameters spine out to roughly...what about weight?

Sounds interesting

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo flooring for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Someone did a while back and I dont think it worked out very well, I cant remember who it was but they made a bunch and let people try them to get opinions.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
That was Troy Breeding. I got a couple dozen. He couldn't get consistent weight or spine out of them and they are difficult to keep straight. They were pretty heavy physically.

Doesn't make much different for a close up bowhunter like me, but for a 3D or target shooter they wouldn't be very good.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Darn...like I said...sounded interesting...thanks guys...huge fan of both of your work, by the way...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
I was just getting ready to try turning some shafts out of some exceptionally nice vertical grain laminated flooring....One thing to remember....Is .....all bamboo is not created equal....for years they have been trying to work the bugs out of engineered bamboo flooring....they have come up with some nice stuff recently that isn't cuping and is much more stable material....i just installed about 800 feet of this stuff for some folks and it's geogeious stuff.....i bought a box myself to play with....you should see the bow lams this vertical grain stuff turns out! beautiful!!!! i'm going to lay up some recurve limbs with it in June...... i'll let you know how the arrow shafts come out if you want Cutty? let me know....Kirk

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
I would give tamarack a try if I were wanting to make an arrow from scracth. If that was too heavy I would go with ponderosa pine.
  Aren't you busy enough getting ready for the guest season! lol
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »
Hey wapiti...unbelievably busy right now...but I've only got a pair of honeymooners right now...and they're THE BEST GUESTS...

...just make sure you knock when you change out their towels and take the trash...lol...

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
Kirk...I'd love to hear how those arras turn out...and the 'curve limbs too, once you get around to it...

This winter I'm finally going to get around to building my first...going to be a reverse handled LB, though...

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Well Cutty if you are up this way take a few and stop by. Waiting for pump supply to call back at this moment (irrigation issues). Cutting into my stumping time!GRRRRRRR.
 I am thinking of getting a veritas dowler and trying to make a few errors, I mean arrows, this winter. I shot chundo for awhile and liked how durable they were.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Will do Cutty......Hey Wapiti,,,,have you really built arrows out of pine? I'm thinking it would be too soft and really unstable....i've worked with it in other aspects.....warps like a big dog!

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Ponderosa is a very straight grained wood. I haven't made arrows from it but I see no reason it wouldn't make a good arrow wood if it is dried proper. Tamerack (larch) is very straight and dense. Not well distributed in MT but some areas like the Flathead have a lot of it. Not enough time right now to experiment but this winter when things slow down I hope to.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
Waipiti, I think there was a fellow up in Victor who used to make and sell Larch shafts...the guy who would know is Bob Burton of Whispering Wind arrows...

If Ponderosa does work, I've got a lifetime supply for both of us...and the whole board...lol...

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
Jeesh I can't remeber his name right now but he sold all of his equipment to the guy Dick Robertson is training to replace Yote in his shop. He works for Neville Log Homes now I think.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
wapiti:
That's Paul Hopkins, I did not know he sold the equipment though!! He would run Dymond wood shafts thru his pole sander when I need them. Stop by sometime when your in the area.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
What about western red cedar guys? it's awfully soft light wood....but very straight grained stuff...any experiece out there with that?

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I plan on it Bob! Still working out the kinks in the new job. Place was left hanging here and there. But you can bet I will be stopping in.

Western red cedar would be ok I guess but it has a tendancy to sliver off. The cabinet shop I worked in built several from it for rustic style or log homes and it always had that problem.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Bob, I'd love to stop by and chat sometime with you as well...I'm just starting to make the switch from carbons to woodies with my longbows and would love to pick your brain...plus pick up some hex-pine and a dozen of your finest customs...you do amazing work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©