3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever attached to your bow..?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Have you ever attached to your bow..?
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I have read in the past where sometimes indians would attach "items" to their bows or spears as reminders of previous battles or game taken, such as feathers or beads, or locks of hair/fur (scalps?).  Kind of like taking part of the animal's spirit with them on future hunts.

Have any of you ever seen or done this or considered it?  I saw a rifle hunter once with scraps of deer hide attached to his sling.  I think he attached portions of ears.

I have been thinking about this alot lately and wondered just what in the world it would look like and how it would impact the bow's function.

Any thoughts?
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever attached to your bow..?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Nope. Don't plan on it either. The way I look at it, I don't need anything that may move and give away my position to an unsuspecting game animal. As for the other stuff like beads and fur, I think of it as excess baggage.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I have a friendship pin on my wool hunting jacket that my daughter gave me when she was 5 years old.  It has been on the same jacket for 29 years.  The only thing on my bow is dental floss, to remind me how much I hate dentists, I think that is why that is on there..

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
The only animal parts I would consider adding onto my bow are 1) a feather as a wind detector 2) horn/antler as tip overlays 3) horn/antler as an arrow shelf if using a selfbow. 4)Sinew on the back of selfbow covered with snakeskins. 5) snakeskins for bow back covering.

But that's just me.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Scalps? Scalps of some politicians might be motivating.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I like my bow simple. Fur string silencers and maybe a feather wind detector but other than antler tip overlays no other animal parts. My quiver and hunting hat are different. They both have "memories" attached in the form of animal parts; feathers and squirrel tails...and a snake skin hat band.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I don't want to taint my bow with anything that grimy, politically speaking. I would not want to take the bad spirits on my hunt.  Most of them aren't attached all that well anyway.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
it won't impact the bow's function in any detectable way as long as you don't use heavy items, and keep them clear of moving parts...i stick feathers and sometimes sticks/branches/flowers/leaves in the sewing on my leather bow quiver on occasion...Fred Bear was known to keep objects like that on his hat...if it's calling you, let your freak flag fly my friend...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »
I stick that stuff on my quivers. Had crow feathers on my stick bow but lost them while hunting.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
I do have a 1 inch feather on the top limb of my bow with string for a wind indicator.

I have one of Jeff B's medicine pouches with pieces of all my kids hair in it that goes with me around my neck when hunting. it's a good luck/keep me safe /bring me home spiritual thing.   :archer:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Bjorn, ya made me spit coffee all over my puter!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
I rub a litle blood from everything I shoot onto the bow that took it.  Just a smear on the handle, quiver or limb.  Most of it wears off after a while depending on where I put it but it is just something I do.  Mojo I guess?  Just something I do.  I do the same with my possibles bag when I am blackpowder hunting.

Bob Urban

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I think T.J. Conrads has a longbow with the foot of a grouse he took as an inlay.
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I have attached feathers to primitive bows but never nothing from a kill.  I guess folks may do that with antler knobs on take down bows.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Weird coincidence. Was thinking this morning about snake skins. Never have & likely never will. Have a wind feather attached though.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Be careful attaching feathers from Federally protected songbirds or birds of prey to your bow.  It's illegal and may cost you.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Becides snake skins, I have two mountain lion claws, a bear claw and two elk ivorys.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Siloutemirage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
id love to see pics of what people have attached to their bows! I second reddogge though. some places its illegal... even if you just found it on the floor. O_O;
For the Fun of it!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Brian, I've got a pair of Elk Ivorys but haven't figured out how to use them in a bow build? I thought about using then on the tips but don't know if there is enough material?

Bowmania, how did you use your Ivorys?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
MOJO.. excellent term.  I guess I am, at heart anyway, less of a purist looking for performance and more of a nostalgic romantic who likes to believe in karma, spirits, and yes, mojo!

Maybe wearing reminder of previous hunts on my hat or jacket or other article would be more practical.  

I don't know....  kinda like fighter pilots painting a flag on their plane for each kill..not neccessarily for bragging, but honoring their fallen prey.  Maybe that is it.  I could paint on a blood stripe, or foot print of each fallen critter.

Still haven't taken any critters with my traditional gear yet.. so, at least, as of now, it's kinda moot...  but I am feeling like this will be the season.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©