3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: comment in field and stream  (Read 453 times)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
comment in field and stream
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I was looking through what i believe is the latest issue of Field and Stream magazine last night and was reading a article on where trail cameras were dis allowed in montana during the gun season.. the author commented on down in the article something to the affect " do you want a bunch of longbow fanitics making decisions for the rest of us" Wow that really pissed me off to the point i am about to cancel my subscription
has anyone else seen this?? am I over reacting? all thier ads and articles on bowhunting never make mention of anything but the highest tech items out there. although there is a small picture in the mag of a youth that killed a bear with a longbow. i guess TBM and the PBS mag will be my only outdoor magazines...i always thought F&S was a little above the other the other hook and bullet mags
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: comment in field and stream
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Write a letter to the editor and cancel at the same time, not that they care if one guy walks away....but it will make you feel better!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
I would certainly at least write a letter to the editor.

It sounds as if this guys comment is a little ignorant and petty. Who cares if you cannot take pictures for 2 or 3 weeks?

I stopped my subscription a long time ago. Their articles were boring and they were much to add heavy. If I wanted to pay for someone to try to sell me something, I would just go to an outdoor sports show.  At least that way I can talk with people and get something satisfactory out of it.  

It's not as if the advertisements were enough, now the only articles are disguised journalism trying to sell you stuff.  You have very few professional outdoor Journalists anymore. Large Publication Magazines (such as the aforementioned)find it much cheaper to publish pre-written advertisements instead of hiring writers.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
His comment is not only ignorant, but it doesn't even make sense!?? The law pertains to gun season?

Even though the statement is rude and ignorant, it is true in a way, longbow fanatics shouldn't be making ALL of the decisions, just like techno savvy individuals should also not be making ALL of the decisions . . . but he should have presented his point with some class     "[dntthnk]"
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I have not read F&S since my barber cancelled his subscription a few years ago......the comment was likely not intended to be rude or arrogant; us "longbow fanatics" are just such a small group and provide so little potential revenue to the magazine that they barely know we exist. From a mag that is trying to be everything to everyone it is about what I would expect.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I'll continue to "not subscribe"...lol

After all I love "hangin" with you "longbow fanatics"....lol You folks are just my "cup-o-tea!"

Thanks for the heads up though maybe, just maybe someone else who has read the article can come on and give their take on it also.

Just for informational purposes.

Thank you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Field and Stream is a joke anymore, not worth subscribing IMHO. Fur,Fish,and Game is one of my favorites along with TBM.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Field and Stream is still in production ? Personally I never liked the mag myself.And I am proud to be a longbow guy and would gladly send a cedar arrow through his trail cam.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
This is exactly the reason I cancelled my subscription years ago.  The magazine caters to the elitists and is filled with ignorant comments such as this.  At the time I hadn't even started shooting trad gear, I was a wheel guy.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Only reason I ever read that rag is so I could read Patrick F. McManus' latest offering.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Cancelled my NRA membership of 30 yrs. after they endorsed crossbows here in Mich., along with a couple of mags that did the same.
Tom

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
I would certainly write the editor about the comment.  I, too, quit their subscription years ago, but they send me issues on occasion.  It is too full of ads for me.  I only subscribe to TBM and Tradarchers' World.  But I'm a recurve fanatic!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Send them the  UBB of this thread too!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
First I'll share that I was a loyal reader of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Sports Afield most of my life. I went to a very large high school with a super library (3,000 kids). I spent WAY TOO MUCH time in my senior year reading back issues of these magazines that were 20-30 years old. I loved em.

I stopped reading them,, I won't even pick one up at the newstand.  They have become poison to me. Lots of reasons.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Don't read it or any of the others like it. I'm not paying them to read advertisements which they have already been paid to publish. Especially when they don't even advertise anything which I'm remotely interested in.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Last time I read that rag, Ed Zern was the writer of the back page. That's been a while. I saw the new Outdoor Life yesterday on the newsstand, and the banner on the headline was about their latest crossgun review. I think Jack O'Conner was their hunting editor the last time i bought that magazine. I'll stick with TBM.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I just simply wouldn't subscribe to it anymore.  While his comment was indeed ignorant, I've always found that the traditional crowd is often the "offender" in terms of an elitist attitude toward those that are still hunting perfectly legal and within their right to do so.  I don't see alot of that on this site, thus the reason I love this site.  

But if I were you, I'd simply just not subscribe or read it anymore.  You never know that author's experiences -- could be that every traditional hunter he's ran across ran him down about his "training wheels" or that he's seen more wounded deer from an imcompetent traditional hunter in his area.  The comment was stupid and offensive.  But writing a letter won't help other than further divide the lines of bowhunters.  Just my 2 cents though.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Field & Ignorant     :readit:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
i'm a longbow fanatic.i am also one of the most harmless guys i know.i'm a fanatic and proud of it.if they knew any of the guys and gals on this site,they would change their minds.i love all of you.who cares what they say.good luck to everyone this season,steve

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
I just simply wouldn't subscribe to it anymore.  While his comment was indeed ignorant, I've always found that the traditional crowd is often the "offender" in terms of an elitist attitude toward those that are still hunting perfectly legal and within their right to do so.  I don't see alot of that on this site, thus the reason I love this site.  

You never know that author's experiences -- could be that every traditional hunter he's ran across ran him down about his "training wheels" or that he's seen more wounded deer from an imcompetent traditional hunter in his area.  
we must have met the same elitist trad guys in the past. i think they hang with the elitist flintlock guys. thank god the cats on this site are not like that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©