3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best one-man tent?  (Read 505 times)

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
Best one-man tent?
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Hey, folks, I'm looking for a little input.  I find myself hunting by myself most often & am trying to find the best one man tent.  The specs for what I'm looking for:
  * big enough to stand (for me, a 6' high tent would work
  * obviously, a one-man set up
  * no real preference on tent geometry
  * looking for value but will spend a fair price for a quality product
Just finished a muley hunt - fun but no meat - & my little tent just ain't cutting it.  I usually stay out for 4-5 days at a time & have some pretty nasty weather at times so can end up in the tent a little more than I'd like.  New Mexico & monsoons - what can you say?

Also, any thoughts on the best cooler for keeping ice?  Most all my hunts are in Sept. & it can get a little warm here & need to ice meat as soon as possible.  Hate to have to make frequent trips to town in the (unlikely) event I get something to put on ice.
Thanks as always for any advice.  

Eddie Paulsgrove
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best one-man tent?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Cehck out these lean to tents that I just found out are made in my back yard.  I have the two man and it's huge for 2 people.  It's weighs just over 2#.  I used tyvek for the floor (they sell floors too). I like this style better then the tepee tents for head room.  

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/leans.htm

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I don't thik you will find a one man tent that you can stand up in. But then again, a tent with one man in it I guess would be a one man tent. I use a 3 man tent. For me, I would not want anything else any smaller. Once you put your stuff in it, it's only big enough for one man. You still can't stand up in it. It's a 4 season tent and can stand some pretty foul weather.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Dan from CCS is an awesome guy and his products like the screened in Lean shelters are top notch.  Tehy are not free standing, and do require a ridge line to support them ... simple enough.

Also his tarps are superb.  I use a 10 x 14 tarp for camping and solo canoeing in Canada and the BWCA.  If you know hiow to keep a smudge going it keeps away most of the skeeters and flies that willpester you.  I use a blanket or a sleeping bag, and sleep undr my tarp a lot.  I can cook under it and it takes storms very well.

Another option is a Hennessey Hammock.  Very light and comfy, but you obviously can not stand in one.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I have used these and for my money it's one I'd get again.

I even made a segmented center pole for mine for ease of transport.

https://www.strinztipi.com/estore/index.php?crn=200

Good luck in your search.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I find a so called 3 man tent to be about the minimum for my needs when I am hunting alone, and it would be hard to find one tall enough to stand. For longer trips if I expect to be camped for a while and bad weather I bring a big canvas tent.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Check out the Hennessy Hammock.  I've heard some great things about them.  Not exactly a tent, but maybe better.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
The best one man tent is a 2 or 3 man tent. One man or bivy tents just don't have the room for gear in bad weather. The single pole tepee type may be the only one you can stand in.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
The Hennessy Hammock is what I replaced my one pole-er with.

I haven't gotten to try it out as yet.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
check out the cabela's ALASKAN guide tent. One man can put it up and it is 6' inside.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I too would say look into the different hammocks...I have the Clark Jungle hammock and it's nice. A little pricey but built for the long haul....and you will sleep like a baby. I use 2 hiking poles for the attached fly and also have a 10 X 10 tarp I hang for getting out of the sun and rain around camp. I also have the cabela's alaskan 4 man tent and it works great for 2 big guys and gear...just a little on the heavy side if you're packing it in far.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Expensive, but good people that stand behind their products.

http://www.kifaru.net/HUNTHOME.HTM

You can stand up in the 4man on up. 6man would be even better.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
SPRINGBAR OUT OF UTAH

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I've used a Kelty Lounge 4 for the last year for myself.  It's  a 4 person tent but I find it perfect for me alone and my gear, cot, camp chair to dress and hang clothes on. I'm 5'9" and I can stand up but any taller you'd have to bend your neck a little.  Around $200.

For a cooler the Coleman 5 day coolers really do work.  I'd suggest two, one to keep drinks in as you'll be in there the most and the other for food.  Block ice would last over a week I would imagine.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
For me, the best one man tent is a hammock.  Mine is an ENO Doublenest.  You need a tarp - hang it how you like - and insulation UNDER you as well as over (under is more important though).

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Not a big Cabela's fan, but I have used the Outback Lodge, is a great tent.  Have had mine in snow, ice, rain, and heavy winds, and have never had a problem with it.  It is a bit on the heavy side but packable.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Another vote for hennesy hammock.

Also look into the REI hobbitat 4.
plenty of standing room.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I like this tent for your purposes. It's a 6 manner but you know how those things are overrated! Plenty of head height and easy for one person to set up. Done it many a times with mine. Big enough to put a couple of army cots in as well.   :thumbsup:  
  http://store.eurekatent.com/products/362216/Equinox_6_Tent
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
You didn't say if you were truck camping or backpacking. I like using a 4-man Eurika outfitters tent, plenty of room for me and my gear and weatherproof. I also have a hennessy hammock that I use for summer backpacking fishing trips, but when the weather turns cold (fall)I use a 2-man Rei half dome tent or the Eurika.
Look for a tent that the rainfly extends to within 6" of the ground and has good ventilation.
I have a 60qt Igloo wheeled 5-day cooler that with two blocks of ice will stay cold 6+ days even if left in the truck in the sun at 90* +.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I've used a hammock and rain fly in some fairly nasty weather (hot and cold).  Nice to be off the ground.

I always hear good things about the old Eureka Timberlines.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©