3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: EFOC and heavy cross winds  (Read 207 times)

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
EFOC and heavy cross winds
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Very windy in Cheezehead land today.  Has my mind working over time.  I've been shooting an arrow with 340 grs up front, total weight 610.  As I recall from Stew's chart it's 27% Foc.

How do you guys feel that arrow would be affected by a 35 mph cross wind in comparison to a 12% foc?

My thoughts are that the EFOC would not be blown of target as much, but would hit the animal more towards a 45 degree angle, killing the penetration.  Whereas a 12% FOC would be blown more off target, but if you allowed for the wind you'd hit the target with point and nock more in line.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: EFOC and heavy cross winds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I think arrows are more affected by the fletching size then FOC in that much crosswind and the distance you are shooting.Maybe setup a target and shoot in that crosswind to see,just a thought.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
i noticed my EFOC arrows were effected more in the cross wind but I just thought it was more because they were slower then the light cedars.....???

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I use 3 inch fletching on my EFOC arrows and don't have as much tail swing in a heavy cross wind as I did with 5 inch fletching on standard FOC arrows.  With that stiff of a cross wind you should be able to close the gap to 10 yards and negate the whole cross wind effect.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
2-4Hook,

I'm with Forge, my EFOC are way less affected in cross wind...but when I got to 23% I dropped to 3" feathers, too... now at 27%, 3" they really aren't affected.

It's always a personal thing regardless of other's experience!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
One of the benefits of EFOC is the arrow requires less fletching to stabilize the arrow. You should have enough EFOC to consider testing a reduced fletch size. Excessive fletch size above what is required will increase drag, noise and be more effected by wind.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I have arrows that are 26%,29% and 31%.Wind here gets crazy-often.I don't have to allow for wind at all with theses setups.They hit where I look and if the wind does wag the back of the arrow,they penetrate straight into the target.I have no explanation for that but can only assume that the head is pulling the arrow.I s it over and over again.Regardless of how strong the crosswind,the arrows penetrate the target straight.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
I think with a 35 mph crosswind I am not shooting at game anymore mor then just a very few yards away regardless.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
We have lots of wind in West Texas, I shoot a high FOC arrow and have gone to the 2 inch Razers with a 4 fletch. They work great for me. I think the smaller fletching is one of the big advantages with high FOC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©