3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sick of tree stands  (Read 450 times)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
sick of tree stands
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Last year I took my buck from a ground blind that took me all of 15min to build. The three stands that I placed took a total of 6hrs to set. I just got done setting stands for this year and I fell like I should just take them down and sell them. Who brain'washed me into thinking that I need to be in a tree?

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sick of tree stands
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Ground pounder all the way here!

Took a doe at 5 yards yesterday, with a 3 minute set-up.

A pair of pruning shears are priceless in the woods. Snip a couple quarter inch to half inch diameter saplings at an angle and press them into the ground in front of you while tucked up tight against a big oak, or equivalent...

Bingo!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Very satisfying taking game from the ground, thats for sure.
David M. Conroy

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
This'll be my first year on the ground...wish me luck!
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I do the same thing every year! I spend a bunch of time setting up tree stands, only to spend my time on the ground in home made blinds. I am not wasting any of my time putting up stands this year. I'm just sticking to the ground. Years ago I was only tree hunting, now I can't stand to be stuck in a tree. Besides the trees are never in the "right spot" LOL Good luck this season.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I took a fall from a treestand in 2001, and broke my ankle a 1/2 mile from my truck, and 3 hours from home.  I vowed to never hunt from a treestand again.  So the next year, I bought a ladder stand, hunted from it for 2 years, and decided the good lord made ground for me to stand on.  If he wanted me to be in a tree, he would have made me a monkey.  It's the ground from here on out for me since 2004
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
The money I spent on stands and climbing sticks over the years, would of paid for a new bow.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
My last year in a tree was 73-74. Hap

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I have 52 treestand sites and over 80 hours getting them prepared each year, and also 15 groundblinds! It is not feasible to not hunt from both where I hunt. I am getting older and my body is real beat up, so now I get a young guy to help me. Lots of fun and also lets me see what is happening in the woods before the season is up and going. Shawn
Shawn

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
What kind and how many stands do you have?  How much for shipping to 49009?  :D  

I like the view from a tree.  Some spots I hunt I wouldn't see deer half the time if I was not up a tree.  It helps a lot with scouting while hunting.  

Unless I get into something real complicated for a tree, I set a stick ladder and stand in about 15 minutes.  I sure wouldn't mind hunting from the ground the older I get.  However, a bad low back keeps me from setting much and I have to change positions a lot.  I find I can get away with a lot more of that from a well hidden tree stand.  I tried a pop up blind, but can't stand to be all closed in.   I did give a ASAT leafy suit this year so may give the ground a try a little more.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
One stand and sticks is all I use. Entire outfit is 20# on my back. Attach a backpack hip belt and no weight at all.  Portable and set-up new every time.  10 minutes up. . . 10 minutes down.  No big deal.  I still ground hunt occasionally, but I am just as portable as when I use to ground hunt more often.  

With that said, I sure have some memorable hunts from the ground.  Just had 6 does and two different small bucks within 16-17 yards in ND last week off ground- passed on them.  Also had two PYs at 35 yards-  if they could have just made it another 10 yds before the thermals got me. . . sure fun.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
IMO not only are tree stands a pain to lug around and to put up. But then you have to worry all season about someone stealing them! I just use camo cloth and brush from the area that I'm hunting to make my blinds now.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I'm done with treestands,it's ground blinds for me from now on.I don't enjoy hunting from treestands anymore and i know a guy that just fell out of a tree setting a stand and he broke his back and both legs.His doctor said he may never walk again.Last weekend i had two eight pointers within 15 yards of me in my ground blind and they never knew i was there,too bad buck dosen't open here in PA until Oct. 2nd.I am now hooked on hunting out of groundblinds!
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I started with tree stands but switched to being a ground pounder because my knees were bothering me while using my climber and that it is easier to switch spots if the wind changes and if someone cuts through my hunting area. I hunt public land.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
I hunt froma stand a lot but kill deer from the ground every year. The idea of heading a mile or so in the swamp with about 4 pounds of gear is very appealing.RC

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
I hunt both ways.No reason to limit yourself to one or the other.Killing a deer from the ground is more exciting though in  my experience and more difficult to close the deal.Some areas or spots require you to hunt from the ground.

I understand why some guys dont want to get in trees though.Physical limitations and it is definaty more prone to possible mishaps.Thier are obvious advantages though hunting from above.Thier are also advantages to being on the ground.Convenience,quick setups and hunting fresh sign immediatly without making much noise getting setup.I do like hunting on the ground.I have killed most my deer from the ground.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
I love the ground, been hunting there for a couple years now. I havent' sealed the deal yet, but I will one of these days. There's nothing like having deer a few feet away... had one so close last year that I could here her chewing, just never presented a good shot. Good luck guy's and be safe! Jason

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Only from the ground! Took 3 deer last, 2 the year before and have taken deer every year for the past 7 years from the ground. Don't get no better than that! I see no reason to go back to tree stands. From my blinds, I can hunt in ANY type of weather and be comfy!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Hunt 100% from the ground; enjoy not having a heavy stand to lug around in the woods; have filled my tags year after year and see no need ever to climb again; if wind direction changes, then I change with it; love just having a small backpack on full of "goodies" for the days hunt;

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I hunt mostly from the ground now but still do use treestands, mostly climbers.  For the average bowhunter hereabouts (i.e., those without 'special permissions' in problem deer areas) there are not many good opportunities to take a deer, ANY deer, during most years.  Passing on a good shot opportunity likely means passing on your freezer meat for the season and  under these conditions it makes little sense to limit one's methods if you actually want some venison.  Still, ground blinds do offer practical benefits when the foliage is full enough to make them blend in and you can't get permission to use a treestand.  Aside from stalking heavy cover, ground blinds are my favorite way to bowhunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©