3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New 60" recurve model by Maddog  (Read 375 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New 60" recurve model by Maddog
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
After I ended my production of "normal Sized" recurves I have been asked why many times.  Truthfully I wasn't happy with the performance of those bows I was making, so I quit making them.   Some time ago, I got an old bear recurve with a busted limb to fix.  After it was done, I shot it a bunch and really liked it.  It was a design not made for many years and I have no idea why.  So I tweeked a few things here and there with the profile (to make it original) and I decided to bring a similar design back. So as requested by quite a few guys out there, Here's my new 60" Recurve.  This is the prototype and I made it from what I had lying around.  It (and all the others I'll build) has a seamless lamination that traverses the riser, and a slim, almost longbow like grip, yet deep enough to shoot high wrist.  This one has a walnut riser, maple laminations and is 60# @ 28".  $375 (+ shipping and stuff the federal Gov. makes me do)

TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New 60" recurve model by Maddog
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
Looks nice, real sleek.  What kinda brace height on this bow?  Looks kinda small on the pic.  Good lookin' bow though.  :thumbsup:  Keep it up Mike, you're doin' great.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
Mike, your Mad Dog youth bows are the cat's meow   :D  and I'm sure the full size recurve will be no different.

Thanks for making high quality bows at a great price, and being a great fella to do business with!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Glad to see you back in the recurve market again Mike.I was dissapointed as well when I'd seen you drop the full size curve from your line up.

Any plans for a TD curve?I bet you could make a pretty sweet one for 425.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Sexy Mike.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Very pretty.  Classic lines.  Any plans for other lengths?
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Mike I love that long curve look!! Maybe one will come out at around 46-48@28 someday that will find its way to Missouri...lol

I already think I know the answer to this one but I'll ask anyway...lol

Is it "sweet" Mike?

God bless,Mudd

PS: I have been letting one of my best buddys shoot my Mutt bow and he loves it. I took a bunch of longbows over to his place and after a day of shooting he says "You may think I'm nuts but I still like the Mutt the best!"
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I take a guess and say that you modeled it after a Bear Alaskan or Polar. I have both and they shoot nice, but the Alaskan has a little hand shock. Do you use colored glass? BTW-Nice looking bow!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Very nice looking bow. Have you thought about building recurve bows for long draw archers with 30" draw lengths or longer? Say 62" or 64"?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
To answer a few of those, the brace ht. is small, only 6 3/8" due to the riser shape.  The one pictured I built on the M.U.T.T. concept,from some left over strips of glass, so it has clear on the back and brown on the face.  I only market bows using brown, black, or white.  I don't use clear glass anymore.  This recurve can be drawn to 30" not problem but I don't know what the weight of this one would be at 30, probably 65#. I suppose I could make it an inch or two longer if needed.

I'm pretty sure the bow that inspire me was the poplar, it had 2 shelfs and was nice to shoot.  However this disign does copy the poplar so much, it's a bit wider and the limbs are a little different.  I could make bows as a 3 pc take down as well, but I don't like to, so you'll have to twist my arm.

The question was "it it sweet"?  It shoots sweet, this particular one, fabricated as such, I don't think is sweet as far as appearance, but the performance is.

Along with the design of this bow I also made a lamination tapering jig that makes it possible for me to make full length taped laminations  eliminating the seam in the middle of the riser. Now they are seemless with no joint visible or other wise.

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
50's. I like that we're starting to have a higher number of this design. I like. Marco

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Very nice bow!
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Wow Mike, it is beautiful!  I love the lines!  Just came in the house from shooting my MadDog mid-size recurve.  I love that bow.  She is all ready for whitetail season.  1 week and counting!  
Had to get a new target because my arrows kept ripping clear through the old one and burrying the heads into the plywood behind it!  Got sick of using my knife to get the points out of the wood:)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Mike!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Mike. I believe that you have got a real winner there . That is one slick looking 50s bow. Could you tell us the length of that riser. It looks like its over 20 inches which should make it a really good performance bow . Also  what it measures around the grip? thanks and God bless you, Steve

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
The total length of the riser is 21"  with the last half inch on each end paper thin. So about 20" of rigid riser.  The skinniest part of the grip is 4 1/4" around.  The thing i like about it is even though the prototype is 60# @ 28" it's smooth enough so i can shoot it a few dozen times before I tire out.  I don't like heavy bows so much but this one's not that bad.  I had a 62# Bow for a while made by a well know bowyer and I couldn't shoot it as much.  

Thanks for the kind words Stephen it means a lot coming from you.  

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
Mike,

Beautiful bow. I love the sleek lines. If you make one above 80# at 28", let me know.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Very graceful and sleek looking bow. Do you offer any other limb core materials besides maple?
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
now that's what i like.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »